Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Already the top 1% pay 30% of the tax take, not sure how far you can go with that and remain competitive. As for corporation tax, either you want us to have successful and investment attractive industry, or you don't.

A small rise on corporation tax v brexit - I wonder which one will have the biggest impact on an investment attractive industry?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A small rise on corporation tax v brexit - I wonder which one will have the biggest impact on an investment attractive industry?
Indeed... a key question, I am not averse to recognising the value, and the capacity for a small CT rise..... but... a small rise won't raise enough fir what JC seems to want CT to fund, nowhere near. So, add 5% or more will kill our inward investment potential.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I read that the IFS estimates there's £65bn spending in the draft manifesto. that's rather a lot, and more than can be covered with reversing cuts to/increasing corporation tax and a new 80k+ bracket.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As I read it we have to have austerity due to the global recession caused by the last labour government, yet we have the most amazing economy, created by the Tories which is able to fund the record spending on education and the NHS yet still that seems unable to provide both with the funds they actually require ? As for the current deficit, we have been able to print extra money in order to grease the palms of bankers but we can't print extra for the NHS or education. Odd ?
I kept hearing Mrs May at PMQ's saying how only by maintaining a strong vibrant economy can we fund the record amounts paid to the NHS and the education authorities yet these people are saying we are either about to run out of cash or we are going to have to cut the services we provide. Which is right ? we are obviously not having it both ways.

I am struggling to keep up with your logic, I guess we can both agree that we are not experts on how QE works, but its being used by the US and the EU so we must suspect that there is something of benefit to these economies and something that doesnt necessarily link it exclusively to the Tories in any case.

I dont think anyone is really saying that our economy is amazing, it is however undoubtedly performing better than many others and this is on the back of referendum and the unfounded scaremongering so we must be happy or surprised or both, it seems you just will not acknowledge it anyway.

But my point remains that you dont stop austerity (if that is a preferred option) just because your economy is performing quite well, the aim must be that we have an economy that remains comparatively strong and the current austerity reduces the deficit to a level that then might lead to less austerity.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed... a key question, I am not averse to recognising the value, and the capacity for a small CT rise..... but... a small rise won't raise enough fir what JC seems to want CT to fund, nowhere near. So, add 5% or more will kill our inward investment potential.

We are always told this. Raise any taxes, the higher rate, corporation tax, you hurt the wealth creators and they jump ship (but they rarely do). If you continue to create wealth however, then it is a price that people will pay. Wealth creators are wealth creators because they market a product at the right price to the right customers, whether services or material goods. Do we sell ourselves short with the lowest Coporation tax of the G7? Only Russia undercuts us. We are already 1.5% below the EU average. Strikes me that for a vibrant economy, we are a bit bargain basement in undercutting to attract investment.

Brexit told us to be proud of Great Britain, confident in our economic stability and ability to remain independent. However, are we really they scared that a rise in corporation tax, for arguments sake to the EU average of 21.5% will materially effect our attractiveness for investment. I've heard Conservatives, Centrists and Labour contest we should not be afraid of doing this.

Funny enough, the government rhetoric around raising taxes reminds me of #projectfear, just applied to tax rather than leaving the EU.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Best manifesto I have ever read. Of course 5 unelected press billionaire owners will tell their puppet journalists to pour scorn on it, of course there will be cries of 'Where's the money going to come from?'
I'm not sure that has much traction any more though....
A majority voted for Brexit out of a gut emotion and conviction, despite the fact that the bankers' mouthpieces told us over and over again it will wreck the economy.
Whether or not it will, we'll see. But people weren't bothered, they followed their beliefs. That is what we are doing with this manifesto. I'm sure it'll be costed and all that, but it's the same kind of economic risk as Brexit, no more.
And look what happened there...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We are always told this. Raise any taxes, the higher rate, corporation tax, you hurt the wealth creators and they jump ship (but they rarely do). If you continue to create wealth however, then it is a price that people will pay. Wealth creators are wealth creators because they market a product at the right price to the right customers, whether services or material goods. Do we sell ourselves short with the lowest Coporation tax of the G7? Only Russia undercuts us. We are already 1.5% below the EU average. Strikes me that for a vibrant economy, we are a bit bargain basement in undercutting to attract investment.

Brexit told us to be proud of Great Britain, confident in our economic stability and ability to remain independent. However, are we really they scared that a rise in corporation tax, for arguments sake to the EU average of 21.5% will materially effect our attractiveness for investment. I've heard Conservatives, Centrists and Labour contest we should not be afraid of doing this.

Funny enough, the government rhetoric around raising taxes reminds me of #projectfear, just applied to tax rather than leaving the EU.
I think there is scope for 2% from the current position of 19%... but the evidence suggests that tax cuts are a more positive approach, encouraging growth and investment... this article is a good read....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39869118

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I read that the IFS estimates there's £65bn spending in the draft manifesto. that's rather a lot, and more than can be covered with reversing cuts to/increasing corporation tax and a new 80k+ bracket.

It sounds a lot but the UK has spent over £400bn in quantitive easing since 2008 - that's just to keep economy ticking over

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It sounds a lot but the UK has spent over £400bn in quantitive easing since 2008 - that's just to keep economy ticking over

the government hasn't spent anything on QE. the Bank of England has brought up that amount of bonds, which it still holds and can either cancel (as they expire) or return to the market in time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'd rather take my chances with that than a very small minority of morally bankrupt scumbags keeping it to themselves, whilst the majority of the population suffer as a result.

.... and continue to vote for those that represent them.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Where is your evidence to prove that these numbers are nonsense? You can only say stuff like that if you have the data to back it up.

Touche

As I've said before, my direct experience is work related.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Already the top 1% pay 30% of the tax take, not sure how far you can go with that and remain competitive. As for corporation tax, either you want us to have successful and investment attractive industry, or you don't.

That shows you just how much the top 1% own not how far it can be pushed corporation tax is now one of the lowest in the world and if moved to 30% it would still be nowhere near the highest rate.

The U.K. has an incredible amount of super rich lets just look at one group and then one individual

The U.K. has a total of 31 Dukes all incredibly wealthy owning vast tracts of prime land across the UK

We have our very own Duke of Norfolk who owns 24 square miles of Sussex to call home!

I tend to think of size to how big is it compared to a football pitch and if more than one then how many football pitches are we talking about?

It turns out that 484 football pitches will fit into just one square mile and with building land selling for £640 million per square mile by my calculation the Duke of Norfolk has enough land for over 11,600 football pitches at an estimated value of £1.6 Billion and to think of the trouble we had getting just one football pitch

Now as tax payers we provide his grace with upto £1.5 million in subsidies per year just for having the land plus the income he receives from direct farming plus tenant farming he is not hard up and remember he does not even figure on the top 100 rich list!

Remember what Mr Cameron once said we are all in this together, well if we are then we all need to contribute our fair share

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That shows you just how much the top 1% own not how far it can be pushed corporation tax is now one of the lowest in the world and if moved to 30% it would still be nowhere near the highest rate.

The U.K. has an incredible amount of super rich lets just look at one group and then one individual

The U.K. has a total of 31 Dukes all incredibly wealthy owning vast tracts of prime land across the UK

We have our very own Duke of Norfolk who owns 24 square miles of Sussex to call home!

I tend to think of size to how big is it compared to a football pitch and if more than one then how many football pitches are we talking about?

It turns out that 484 football pitches will fit into just one square mile and with building land selling for £640 million per square mile by my calculation the Duke of Norfolk has enough land for over 11,600 football pitches at an estimated value of £1.6 Billion and to think of the trouble we had getting just one football pitch

Now as tax payers we provide his grace with upto £1.5 million in subsidies per year just for having the land plus the income he receives from direct farming plus tenant farming he is not hard up and remember he does not even figure on the top 100 rich list!

Remember what Mr Cameron once said we are all in this together, well if we are then we all need to contribute our fair share

He's not in it now though and he's making a fortune !

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

is that subsidies from CAP, and is there anything to suggest he's not paying income tax on earnings? im confused why you've started on corporation tax and used a large landowner as an example. wouldnt this be an example for a wealth tax, to force him to sell off and pay large sums to the state?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
is that subsidies from CAP, and is there anything to suggest he's not paying income tax on earnings? im confused why you've started on corporation tax and used a large landowner as an example. wouldnt this be an example for a wealth tax, to force him to sell off and pay large sums to the state?

The land owned by the Duke of Norfolk is run as a business and as such pays corporation tax

If by CAP you are referring to the capitalisation rate of the land then it's based on the amount paid compaire to the current value in this case as for as I am aware nothing was paid for the land as it was a gift from Richard the third before his and the firsts Dukes untimely deaths at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Best manifesto I have ever read. Of course 5 unelected press billionaire owners will tell their puppet journalists to pour scorn on it, of course there will be cries of 'Where's the money going to come from?'
I'm not sure that has much traction any more though....
A majority voted for Brexit out of a gut emotion and conviction, despite the fact that the bankers' mouthpieces told us over and over again it will wreck the economy.
Whether or not it will, we'll see. But people weren't bothered, they followed their beliefs. That is what we are doing with this manifesto. I'm sure it'll be costed and all that, but it's the same kind of economic risk as Brexit, no more.
And look what happened there...

Conservative party HQ agrees with you :wink:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That's a pedantic point: the BoE is a publicly owned body

its not a pedantic point, its changing the technical and practical implications of QE. the government doesn't have a £400bn debt for QE, the BoE has £400bn worth of bonds.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Liberal Democrats Will Pledge To Completely Legalise Cannabis

Exclusive: The party has told BuzzFeed News its manifesto will include a commitment to having a fully regulated UK cannabis market, including sale and production, which could raise up to £1 billion in extra taxes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterso...ely-legalise?utm_term=.jnzq8m15r#. reLMp0EwP

Assuming this is accurate ...Vote winner? :smokin:

And now a Party Political broadcast by The Liberal Democrat Party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here