Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't count your chickens on the Tories keeping their EU promises just yet... Now that the Tories have UKIP well and truly out of the way I can see them changing their tune on Brexit quite dramaticaly over the next couple of years (if /when they win next month)
I think they're too committed to Brexit to renege now. And - it's not something I normally feel about a Tory PM - not since Churchill anyway, or maybe MacMillan - I trust Theresa May; as far as I trust any politician - for now, at least. And UKIP, although irrelevant and redundant now their work is done, will still be lurking around to pick up a lot of votes in future should they be needed again (which, IMO is unlikely).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Corporation Tax is where we should be looking at. Receipts were £56bn last year. A 1% increase would bring in an extra £3bn with little risk of companies moving their taxes offshore.
We have a growing band of billionaires here who would probably accept losing a couple of percent extra taxes as small change.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Germans do public services very well I think, trains and health being two. I'd be happy to move away from the current NHS model to something similar to what I have here. You'd need to pay a lot more tax for it though....a lot more.

Trains, trams and roads in Germany are amazing, as they were able to completely start afresh from a bombed to bits nation. In addition as we were the first country to build railways, almost two hundred years ago, the urban stations, bridges and lines are completely boxed in by millions of homes and businesses.

I've spoke with (non political) railways experts before, who explained that makes it impossible, unfortunately, to ever have a railways system anything likes the Germans.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Labour manifesto draft next elections tory fact

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Because they're the only issues aren't they :facepalm:

Everyone knows that free parking at hospitals is undeliverable. Parking is either outsourced or tied into PFI, usually on long contracts. In both cases you can't just get out of the contract so they would have to directly pay whoever owns/runs the car park until the contract runs out.

I suspect this will be a common theme throughout jezza's manifesto.

You're right. Here are a few other issues the Tories have resided over in recent years;

Privitastion of the NHS, the rise in food banks, a huge rise in child poverty, rip off landlords, welfare cuts, cuts to cooperation tax meaning cooperations pay less tax than their employees, spectacularly missed economic targets, the longest fall in value of wages since records began, the austerity con, the most unaffordable homes ever, the biggest education funding cuts in decades and the defunding of local government.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Yep the pesky press!

That's why no one will vote Labour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can say what you, but that doesn't change the fact that in 52 per cent of articles about JC, his own views are not included – while in a further 22 per cent they were “present but taken out of context” or otherwise distorted. The press are more interested in character assassination than his views.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you trust her or not then ?
It's relative, innit. I trust her to implement Brexit more than, say, Farron or Wee Krankie. And more than I trust some posters not to take four words out of a post in isolation.
And more than I'd trust ANYONE who suddenly stops RANDOMLY using inappropriate CAPITALS..................
:wink:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
This is the best manifesto I have read in my life this is exactly what we need, the Tories are taking us back to the 1970s with Brexit not Labour

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
She is far more contradictory and confusing than the other main politicians though.

Basically, that statement is just your personal opinion. I'm not particularly interested in swapping facile "Wow"s with you, but have you never listened to the wonderful words (and even more wonderful numbers) of Diane Abbott? They've all got their downsides (and plenty of them); just at the moment she (May) is the best hope we have of implementing Brexit, so for now I'm of the opinion that we'll have to go along with her. I don't trust any of the other parties not to welch on the result of the referendum.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I struggle with the fact that according to the Tories we have a wonderfully buoyant economy, yet, the austerity cuts have to continue?
I'm not sure if the Labour Party's manifesto is actually doable but I can't disagree with any of the aspirations therein. And, despite Corbyn being branded a looney for his beliefs, is he not any better than Theresa May, of whom it has been said that, the Tories are trying to create a personality cult around a figure almost entirely lacking in personal qualities?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is the best manifesto I have read in my life this is exactly what we need, the Tories are taking us back to the 1970s with Brexit not Labour

I would suggest it is the Leavers that are taking us back to the 1970s or indeed earlier, Mrs May is only enacting the will of the people as we are constantly told by the Leavers

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This looks like a straight forward choice between a return to the 1970s and a return to the 1950s. Can't wait.

*digs bunker*
*browses ex pat job websites*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Replacing the social housing that's been sold off, re-nationalising the railways and royal mail, investing in the NHS - These are not the policies of a far left loon, maybe people will see through Corbyn's media portrayal, maybe not though.

It would (will) astonish me that anyone living in Brighton would think the bringing the railways back in to public ownership isn't a good idea.

Interestingly enough, that was newsnights take on it too, they mentioned that these were actually quite populist, rather than far left crazy talk.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Because they're the only issues aren't they :facepalm:

Everyone knows that free parking at hospitals is undeliverable. Parking is either outsourced or tied into PFI, usually on long contracts. In both cases you can't just get out of the contract so they would have to directly pay whoever owns/runs the car park until the contract runs out.

I suspect this will be a common theme throughout jezza's manifesto.

In Wales we've had free parking in the majority of our hospitals for a few years now, oh, and free prescriptions too.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
IMG_1934.JPG

Swung my vote ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That's a sweeping inaccurate statement.

Millions of Labour and former Labour voters, voted for Brexit. Millions of Tory and former Tory voters, voted for Remain. The UK decided on a single issue. The government, whoever they are, are having to see those wishes through.

Much of the hard left such as Corbyn and certain trade union leaders were luke warm or cold towards the EU for many reasons, such as the drive to the bottom in wages from freedom of movement.

So where's the black and white thinking coming from that the Tories are one and the same as Brexit? It's far more complex than a party political issue.

I supposed entrenched views lead to a lack of research to ascertain the facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here