Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
67f0230d603a40530fbea695411269b7.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How old are you out of interest? I'm not yet 40. I don't own property now, buts that's more to do with me selling before moving abroad some years ago. Most of my friends do own property, some rent though - either way none of them are better of than their parents are.

i bet your not accounting for the different phase of life. allowing for circumstance (divorces or family issues), i reckon most people i know are better off than our parents at the same age. things have stood still for a decade, and prior to the 60's thats was the norm for generations. and that before considering all the advances of technology, and leisure pursuits that weren't an option just a generation or two ago, which people too casually discount when measuring how well off they are.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

i dont understand, why would privatisation of the NHS lead to a bill from a US hospital?

or more to the point, why is there an assumption that a change of ownership of the infrastructure and service, would lead to direct billing.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
i bet your not accounting for the different phase of life. allowing for circumstance (divorces), i reckon about everyone i know is better off than our parents at the same age. things have stood still for a decade, and prior to the 60's thats was the norm for generations. and that before considering all the advances of technology, and leisure pursuits that weren't an option just a generation or two ago, which people too casually discount when measuring how well off they are.

My brother does exactly the same job as my Dad did (Senior management position within a school) I can remember life when my Dad was the same age as my brother and my brother is a JAM. We had a much more comfortable upbringing when we were younger with more holidays abroad etc and my brother only has the one child. They live in a far smaller house then we did growing up and when my sister in law got made redundant a couple of years ago, my Dad and her parents were helping with the mortgage for a time. My Mum gave up nursing when I was born and we were fine.

Even accounting for divorces into the mix, in both the parents generation and now, I don't know anyone who is better off than their parents were at our age now amongst my friends and family.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hilarious! " Miserable Class War Hatred ".... I would hope that everyone had a chance, isn't that a lovely aspiration?

The implication being that those favouring free enterprise, capped taxation and lighter intervention, have a hidden agenda for those born the wrong side of the tracks to fail or don't give a damn. But the vast majority of the U.K. population didn't come wealth and weren't privately educated, many millions of that majority have worked hard towards educational and career goals, the system worked with a large slice of self fortitude.

It gets barely a mention, but I think the housing crisis is the biggest issue affecting a mass of the population. All recent governments have failed to deliver on this, and selfish councils of all persuasions continue fight schemes for nimble votes. If the homeless, those living in B and Bs, living with parents to an older and older age, living in homes they've outgrown could all find decent new housing (both private and affordable), that would be a massive step forward in living standards.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It gets barely a mention, but I think the housing crisis is the biggest issue affecting a mass of the population. All recent governments have failed to deliver on this, and selfish councils of all persuasions continue fight schemes for nimble votes. If the homeless, those living in B and Bs, living with parents to an older and older age, living in homes they've outgrown could all find decent new housing (both private and affordable), that would be a massive step forward in living standards.

More houses for sure should have been built, but how can you keep up with over 300,000 a year net influx. In case anyone is not sure, over 300,000 is larger than the population of Brighton and Hove put together.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Absolutely. She made it clear that she voted remain, which is her right, and is now willing to implement our withdrawal from the EU, as the British people voted that way. This is surely to her credit. Compare that with the Lib Dems, who want to find any way to reverse the mandate the government has been given. and they put a leaflet through my door on Wednesday, flagging up their belief in in a united Britain. . . .[]

Well it took the Tories 23 years to win an election, and in 2 years Britain is now more divided than ever. At least the Lib Dems moderated the Tories in coalition

Anyone who thinks this country will become a fairer place by handing the Tories a huge majority and a blank cheque on Brexit or whatever else they fancy dismantling is seriously deluded.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My brother does exactly the same job as my Dad did (Senior management position within a school) I can remember life when my Dad was the same age as my brother and my brother is a JAM. We had a much more comfortable upbringing when we were younger with more holidays abroad etc and my brother only has the one child. They live in a far smaller house then we did growing up and when my sister in law got made redundant a couple of years ago, my Dad and her parents were helping with the mortgage for a time. My Mum gave up nursing when I was born and we were fine.

Even accounting for divorces into the mix, in both the parents generation and now, I don't know anyone who is better off than their parents were at our age now amongst my friends and family.

Housing - the country's house building record has been a joke over a very long period, leading to huge price inflation and a relative lack of larger homes. Until that is sorted, those lucky enough to own decent sized homes, will be the older generations. The late comers to the housing market have to find crippling deposits and face huge mortgages.

Pensioners now get a more than decent state pension thanks to major changes to its calculation over quite a few years, in addition many have final salary or money purchase pensions and most have no mortgage. For the first time, pensioners are better off than those in work when it comes to disposable income.

I realised that you only gave it as an example, but the cost of many types of holiday has risen hugely over the years, especially now that families are bound by school holidays, with tour operators and scheduled airlines exploiting this. It would be quite easy for a Mediterranean family holiday in August to cost £5k plus these days. That's a huge chuck out of family disposable income. Until the mid-1990's, from memory the cost was a fraction of that.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
My brother does exactly the same job as my Dad did (Senior management position within a school) I can remember life when my Dad was the same age as my brother and my brother is a JAM.

fair enough, though maybe thats indicative of the end of the relative gravy train of public sector? a great aunt passed recently, she was a teacher retired in the 80's and they reckon the estate is a million plus from saving her pensions (she was a frugal old girl). i suppose it realy shows how our experiences and perceptions are different to the millions others in the country.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More houses for sure should have been built, but how can you keep up with over 300,000 a year net influx. In case anyone is not sure, over 300,000 is larger than the population of Brighton and Hove put together.

Hopefully, net immigration falls significantly in the long term, but for now the gap widens. Blair opened the floodgates. Whether people agree with that policy or not, no one could argue that provision was not made for the mass of housing, schools, GP's, hospitals and roads required for the ensuing huge UK population increase.

I can only think that entire new towns and new suburbs are required outside the official Green Belts, with a easing of the huge red tape faced by developers and fighting nimble councils. Hopefully a May government gets on with this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The implication being that those favouring free enterprise, capped taxation and lighter intervention, have a hidden agenda for those born the wrong side of the tracks to fail or don't give a damn. But the vast majority of the U.K. population didn't come wealth and weren't privately educated, many millions of that majority have worked hard towards educational and career goals, the system worked with a large slice of self fortitude.

I look forward to the translation of this post at some point in the future.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hopefully, net immigration falls significantly in the long term, but for now the gap widens. Blair opened the floodgates. Whether people agree with that policy or not, no one could argue that provision was not made for the mass of housing, schools, GP's, hospitals and roads required for the ensuing huge UK population increase.

I can only think that entire new towns and new suburbs are required outside the official Green Belts, with a easing of the huge red tape faced by developers and fighting nimble councils. Hopefully a May government gets on with this.

Hopefully immigration will come down to a decent level, and yes it will take MANY entirely new towns if this does not happen

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I look forward to the translation of this post at some point in the future.

he's saying a) most people do better for themselves through effort and taking opportunties, not gifted wealth, and b) theres a problem with housing, in quantity, type and affordablility.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
he's saying a) most people do better for themselves through effort and taking opportunties, not gifted wealth, and b) theres a problem with housing, in quantity, type and affordablility.

It seems to have worked for him if he has made it to the Withdean area, However, I have worked hard all my life and hardly had any benefits other than Child Allowance and yet I will never afford a house near Withdean, and, in order to help my daughter, I have given a huge chunk of my hard earned wealth over to her to buy a small place in Littlehampton. She works for the NHS and her fiancé is working as a school caretaker and both fear for their jobs
. Any suggestions as to what opportunities to take would be gladly received as quite obviously they both have limited opportunities to progress in their current state sector jobs given the ongoing austerity cuts.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It seems to have worked for him if he has made it to the Withdean area, However, I have worked hard all my life and hardly had any benefits other than Child Allowance and yet I will never afford a house near Withdean, and, in order to help my daughter, I have given a huge chunk of my hard earned wealth over to her to buy a small place in Littlehampton. She works for the NHS and her fiancé is working as a school caretaker and both fear for their jobs
. Any suggestions as to what opportunities to take would be gladly received as quite obviously they both have limited opportunities to progress in their current state sector jobs given the ongoing austerity cuts.
What would you like to do?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
How old are you out of interest? I'm not yet 40. I don't own property now, buts that's more to do with me selling before moving abroad some years ago. Most of my friends do own property, some rent though - either way none of them are better of than their parents are. Most of my friends voted 'leave' last year and will vote Tory next month too. All bemoan public services and The NHS though. I'm still bemused as to how people think Brexit and The Conservatives are going to do anything for The NHS over the next 5 years.

My brother is older than with me a family and a good job, the same job our Dad did incidentally, he's nowhere near being as comfortably off as my Dad was and is - My brother will never be able to retire at 60 anymore than I will, like our Dad did.

You're right we're a relatively well off country, I lived in Africa when I was abroad, I appreciate I'm not living in the same time as my Grandparents were growing up in 100 years ago, but things have gone backwards here for the last 10 years and I don't see much improving in the next 10.

I guess if you're alright Jack, then fine

Its not a case of I'm all right jack, I am early 50s, and am in a much better position than my parents, through bloody hard work. I am all for a funded NHS, education etc and happy to pay for it. What I'm failing to get across is that how many of us don't own smart phones, have multiple TVs, computers , sky TV, etc. I have a friend who actually earns than I do, and he resents the fact that I own my house, have no student debt, and blames the Tory government for taking his money, when actually he has 4 or 5 take aways a week, and goes drinking 3 or 4 nights, but he's a poor down trodden worker. There are obviously a lot of people in need, but the fact that a lot of people on here bitch about the bad world while posting on smart phones ,on pcs and playing Xbox makes their case laughable

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Absolutely this. I am retired now (I worked on a bit after 65, but not a lot); not wealthy, but without day-to-day money worries. My kids are worse off than I was, and I'm not able to help them to the extent that my Mum and Dad were able to help me (and Mum and Dad were helping their elderly parents too). My kids are renting - they can't get into the housing market, even with the help of a few thousand from me; when I entered the housing market, my parents (along with the then in-laws) paid the deposit - no way could that happen now.
The children being better off than their parents bubble has well and truly burst.
......and all this happened before Brexit!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Getting back on track, now all the results are in the Tories have just had the best performance by a Governing Party for 40 years, gaining over 560 seats. As well as taking 4 of the 6 Mayoral Positions.

This should not happen to the incumbents at this point of a Parliament and if Labour don't see this as an utter wake-up call as to what people think of their current leadership then it will be Paxo time on June 8th...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here