Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok, has any Govt. been able to keep pacE?

Having a quick look at a 6 year old graph I notice that between 1945 and 1971 when the NHS worked brilliantly there was an equal or higher rate of population growth than after 1971. So the answer to your question is yes.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Indefensible position? To not want a nuclear holocaust? ???

Having a deterrent weapon system seems to have averted a nuclear holocaust for the last 60 odd years.Perhaps the French could try unilateral disarmament first,and you and Corbin could move there to observe.:wave:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Having worked for the NHS for the last 22 years there have been many ups and downs but for the last 18 months I am experiencing first hand the real consequences of austerity. Rushed hospital discharges, services running at full limit, increasing staff shortages, staff at breaking point. I predict that the NHS , as we know it , has only a few years left. When it goes people will only then realise what we have lost.
The utter contempt that the current government seem to have for public services is something that soon will impact upon all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NHS needs reform and that includes the way it is financed.
We have an ageing population and whilst we are very good at increasing life expectancy, we are not so good at ensuring quality of life.
The NHS must stop being regarded as a 'Political Religion' , if you will pardon my clumsy expression, and requires the best brains of ALL interested parties to put their collective heads together to decide on the best way forward. I have to say, that whilst the service remains almost free, there will never be enough dosh.
My father set up practice as a GP just before the NHS came to be and his mother qualified as a nurse in 1909. Lots of other medics in the intervening years in our family, so quite a connection with the medical profession.
The NHS has been going for about 70 years and is no longer 'fit for purpose' as is the expression. We can disagree with what should be done, but it is clear that reform is well overdue and just chucking more money at the problem wil solve nothing in the longer term.:down:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hopefully,our hard-working MP's will soon be on their well deserved holidays,and Jess Phillips and her mates can join them.Apparently,they get even longer holidays than teachers!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The AYES to the right 101 the NOES to the left 322, the NOES have it, the NOES have it.

Government majority of 221.

Chuka Umunna's amendment G to Queen's Speech regarding BrExit is defeated.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] have the bookies paid out yet?

Yep - I was walking around Tesco when I noticed my Betfair account had been considerably swelled by the settlement of both the Next PM and the Next Government markets. I treated myself to a little something which is chilling right now.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Queen's Speech rebellion results in shambles as SIX members of the Labour Shadow Cabinet are unceremoniously booted out by Jezza.

#ithasstartedalready

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and a further 43 Labour MPs rebelled against St Jezza's whipping... has he even got enough PLP members who support him to fill the vacancies?

#sameoldlabour

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
....does the age of the graph matter?

So not since 1971 then?

The age matters with recent concerns about immigration by a few I'd have expected it to go skywards. However, if the graph is brought up to date it has a general steady line up from the axis at 66 million today. No sudden spurt upwards and only the slightest of a drop in the 70's.
I agree with you the Health system is not working and we can't use too many people as the excuse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The NHS needs reform and that includes the way it is financed.
We have an ageing population and whilst we are very good at increasing life expectancy, we are not so good at ensuring quality of life.
The NHS must stop being regarded as a 'Political Religion' , if you will pardon my clumsy expression, and requires the best brains of ALL interested parties to put their collective heads together to decide on the best way forward. I have to say, that whilst the service remains almost free, there will never be enough dosh.
My father set up practice as a GP just before the NHS came to be and his mother qualified as a nurse in 1909. Lots of other medics in the intervening years in our family, so quite a connection with the medical profession.
The NHS has been going for about 70 years and is no longer 'fit for purpose' as is the expression. We can disagree with what should be done, but it is clear that reform is well overdue and just chucking more money at the problem wil solve nothing in the longer term.:down:

Again, this is a myth people seem to want to believe, that the NHS is unfundable. Put the money in, you'll have a fine NHS. Our % spend of GDP is well below similar economies. You are led to believe it is down to reform or nothing can solve it. Getting up to 10%+ like other comparable countries manage would certainly help!

I've posted a few of these stat links now. Interesting that those countries with higher tax regimes take a greater percentage of GDP as tax revenue and are able to commit a larger percentage of GDP for healthcare. The 'magic money tree' is actually a progressive tax strategy. Not revolutionary, because so many other countries are managing it.

Our percentage of GDP spend is 9.1%

United States 17.1
Sweden 11.9
Switzerland 11.7
France 11.5
Germany 11.3
Austria 11.2
Netherlands 10.9
Denmark 10.8
Belgium 10.6
Canada 10.4
Japan 10.2
Norway 9.7
Finland 9.7
Portugal 9.5
Australia 9.4
Costa Rica 9.3
Italy 9.2
Ecuador 9.2
United Kingdom 9.1
Spain 9.0

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Indefensible position? To not want a nuclear holocaust? ???

Indefensible position = Leading a party that is committed to retaining a nuclear deterrent .. a policy he doesn't support, costing tens of billions when he always bangs on about more spending being needed for public services. Where are his principles?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indefensible position = Leading a party that is committed to retaining a nuclear deterrent .. a policy he doesn't support, costing tens of billions when he always bangs on about more spending being needed for public services. Where are his principles?

Is that like campaigning for remain then leading the party to brexit?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Queen's Speech rebellion results in shambles as SIX members of the Labour Shadow Cabinet are unceremoniously booted out by Jezza.

#ithasstartedalready

and a further 43 Labour MPs rebelled against St Jezza's whipping... has he even got enough PLP members who support him to fill the vacancies?

#sameoldlabour

Some people seem to think all the poison, division, and chaos had disappeared because of the election result and that Labour were now united .. how wrong they were.

Government in waiting.:lolol:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Having a deterrent weapon system seems to have averted a nuclear holocaust for the last 60 odd years.Perhaps the French could try unilateral disarmament first,and you and Corbin could move there to observe.:wave:

Except it's not a deterrent as we aren't under threat from any nuclear power ???

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No worries-
I think the NHS needs to somehow be taken out of politics . Not sure even if that is a good ideas?!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're 100% right about it being deliberately run into the ground it's just a shame the majority of the general public can't see it!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Some people seem to think all the poison, division, and chaos had disappeared because of the election result and that Labour were now united .. how wrong they were.

Government in waiting.:lolol:

It is the political fallout of most referendums. Incompatible with parliamentary party politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here