Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh to be a fly on the wall when Theresa May appeared in front of the 1922 Committee.

A triumphant PM leading her party into a third consecutive election success, and it sounds like she got quite the reception.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh to be a fly on the wall when Theresa May appeared in front of the 1922 Committee.

A triumphant PM leading her party into a third consecutive election success, and it sounds like she got quite the reception.

Boris Johnson
@BorisJohnson
Stonking performance by the PM at 1922. One team going forward together for the UK

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I should imagine that should they back her and no election is called, then the yoof wot voted this time for free Uni will be working by the next one (or whatever their destiny) and so the whole charade will need to be repeated.

You see,this whole attitude is why the youth voted Labour, patronising, ill informed bollox. What about the youngsters not going to Uni, why did they vote Labour. Cornyn spoke to them as adults, he showed passion and compassion, May showed,well, nothing really, did you realise the 25-44 age bracket also had a majority of Labour voters?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You see,this whole attitude is why the youth voted Labour, patronising, ill informed bollox. What about the youngsters not going to Uni, why did they vote Labour. Cornyn spoke to them as adults, he showed passion and compassion, May showed,well, nothing really, did you realise the 25-44 age bracket also had a majority of Labour voters?

Seriously though, its better for the Labour Party that the Tories don't look too deeply into what happened with young people.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Cheered to the rafters, apparently :thumbsup:
Ironic surely

Although as other have said, she might as well be the one to absorb the heat for the time being - anyone taking the role is effectively committing career suicide

This whole mess has been completely created by the Conservatives. The biggest national crisis since WW2, so only right they should carry the can.

I'm still fascinated to see what they come up with for the Queen's speech - surely going to be the most anodyne set of objectives ever. No one will dare risk offending the DUP or the various factions within the Tories

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

I agree, May was awful and poor and abysmal. Corbyn played the crowds much better. It was a lot of empty rhetoric though, with no option as to paying the bill.

But why would anyone care about that? Sounded great, as did Blair.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I agree, May was awful and poor and abysmal. Corbyn played the crowds much better. It was a lot of empty rhetoric though, with no option as to paying the bill.

But why would anyone care about that? Sounded great, as did Blair.

I may be wrong but wasn't the Labour manifesto fully costed? ??? Unlike the Tories.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
If these reports of the 1922 committee cheering May are right it's just further evidence of how deluded they are. May coming out after the election to give that frankly bonkers speech that made no reference to her disaster of an election campaign and just trying to spin it as if nothing had changed.

What Corbyn has brought to politics is an authenticity and honesty that makes these attempts to pretend it's business as usual look even more ludicrous than before the election. How about a bit of humility, or a bit of honesty? The Tories just make themselves look like even bigger idiots than usual. May being the most deluded and idiotic of the lot. I wonder if she actually believes that if she says it then people will swallow it.

We all grow up eventually and priorities change. I can remember when I was young and part of the rave scene going on a March in London off my face and rallying against thatcher and the criminal justice bill.
Listened to the older ravers and had a tear up with the old bill.

I grew up, started working and paying a mortgage and saw others around me swinging the lead whilst I was grafting away.

Some of Corbyn babies will stay left wing but most will move on into society and see sense😉

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We are where we are, fibs and lies by ALL along the way. The best thing now is to move forward as this country is, as I see it, in the sh1t. Recriminate all we like, we need to move forward.

It just seems odd to me that when a group of previously unengaged voters came out and voted at the referendum because they were sold all sorts of fairy stories about money for the NHS and the Italians still wanting to sell their prosecco, we were told by the right that we were out of touch with the 'legitimate concerns' of people that disagreed with free movement.

Now at this election a different group of previously unengaged voters comes out and the talk from the right is that they've been bribed.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It just seems odd to me that when a group of previously unengaged voters came out and voted at the referendum because they were sold all sorts of fairy stories about money for the NHS and the Italians still wanting to sell their prosecco, we were told by the right that we were out of touch with the 'legitimate concerns' of people that disagreed with free movement.

Now at this election a different group of previously unengaged voters comes out and the talk from the right is that they've been bribed.

Are you saying that young people voted LEAVE in the hope of more money for the NHS?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Costed? OK. It has been covered by many Economists that increased CT reduces income from that source, not augment.

On the flip side, over 100 respected economists wrote a letter saying that Britain needs a change of direction away from seven years of ruinous Tory austerity dogma, and towards an the investment based recovery strategy detailed in the Labour Party manifesto.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
On the flip side, over 100 respected economists wrote a letter saying that Britain needs a change of direction away from seven years of ruinous Tory austerity dogma, and towards an the investment based recovery strategy detailed in the Labour Party manifesto.

...and when the proposed income did not appear due to large CT payers 'sodding off', then Brexit could be blamed.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We all grow up eventually and priorities change. I can remember when I was young and part of the rave scene going on a March in London off my face and rallying against thatcher and the criminal justice bill.
Listened to the older ravers and had a tear up with the old bill.

I grew up, started working and paying a mortgage and saw others around me swinging the lead whilst I was grafting away.

Some of Corbyn babies will stay left wing but most will move on into society and see sense��

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

You couldn't be more patronising if you tried.

My daughter had a Uni 're-union weekend in the smoke this last weekend, and, naturally the discussion was all about the election.
Out of all her friends that were there about 15-20, most work in London, and all, without exception voted, unlike the referendum. None voted Tory, not one, a couple of greens, three or four Liberals, the rest, Labour. They left Uni to long ago to get the rebate, and anyway, their main reasons for voting the way they did was property prices, including rents, and Brexit. They trust Labour more over Brexit, than the Tories.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Are you saying that young people voted LEAVE in the hope of more money for the NHS?

Of course not. The 'previously unengaged' voters are a different group in each example, which I think goes someway to explain the response of the right-wing press to them for their votes.

And how could the group that were previously unengaged at this election have voted in the referendum. Voting in the referendum would have meant they were engaged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here