Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not even the most turkey-like Tory backbenchers (Anna Soubry? Nicky Morgan?) would be voting for Christmas in the face of this sort of polling.

Mrs May will be happy to see this. Got any more?

Which is course correct.

The Tory party are going to spend the next five years, or until the next GE, spending all their time focusing on not fully imploding, whilst managing Brexit and running the country.

I would prefer they spent all their time just focusing on managing Brexit and running the country.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But If you genuinely think that the fact that Tories ended with more seats then it means they 'won' and that progressives should not be celebrating then I think you might be a bit deluded. Which is fine because it is exactly this delusion that will help continue to build support for Labour (I am not Labour btw - in the same way you are not Tory I suspect).
Don't worry - I have been defending Corbyn since his first leadership election. I even attempted some level of defence of Diane Abbott.
So if you're not Labour, what politics do you support?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think so, but Betfair (and group company Paddy Power) are being a bit vague about this. They say that the market will be settled "once the Queen has given her assent to the formation of the first Ministry."

I'm no constitutional expert and I'd never heard this term before so I tried to have a look what this actually means over the weekend.

I know the monarch has to give Royal Assent to bills, but I'm not sure the Queen's Speech is one of those and, additionally, Royal Assent has never not been given.

So, the technical step that has to take place I'm assuming is this:

After a new Prime Minister has been appointed by Her Majesty, the Court Circular will record that "the Prime Minister Kissed Hands on Appointment". This is not literally the case, but in actual fact, the literal kissing of her Majesty’s hands will take place later, in private Council.

...but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the Queen's Speech. I gave up looking when I got to this point.

Theresa May became leader of the Conservative Party on 11th July 2016 when Andrea Leadsom withdrew from the leadership campaign.

On 13th July 2016, Buckingham Palace included this in a Court Circular:

"Her Majesty received in audience the Rt. Hon. Theresa May MP and requested her to form a new Administration. The Rt. Hon. Theresa May MP accepted The Queen's offer and kissed hands upon her appointment as Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury."

I'm going to stop looking at this stuff now. I have pointless arguments to have, which is a far better use of my time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Worth noting that they were the only polling company that got the results right, so sounds like it can be trusted and i can only see that gap getting larger and larger.
Of course it did. No one is looking at the Tories now in full denial mode thinking, they've increased in my estimation.

It's a complete embarassment and just furthers the narrative that they act in self interest only. They are completely out of touch.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Of course it did. No one is looking at the Tories now in full denial mode thinking, they've increased in my estimation.

It's a complete embarassment and just furthers the narrative that they act in self interest only. They are completely out of touch.

According to Davis speculation in the Conservative party about a potential challenge to Theresa May’s leadership would be “the absolute height of self-indulgence”.

No David, calling a snap election, two years after the previous GE and after triggering Article 50, whilst having a majority in Parliament, was the absolute height of self-indulgence.

Allowing May to stagger on as a Zombie PM for however long is putting the Party's interest above the Country's.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Here's the nub (well OK, a nub)....

Tory Right-wingers intend to assert themselves this evening when Mrs May addresses a private meeting of the 1922 Committee of backbenchers.

Several made clear in advance that their support depends on delivering the manifesto commitment to quit the European single market, which business leaders say would be disastrous for trade.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/exclusive-cabinet-sensibles-plot-soft-brexit-a3563036.html

OK, so this is George Osborne's Evening Standard but the rest of the article does hint as some possible interesting cross-party allegiances.

It also makes clear just how unlikely it is that May will be able to please all of her party all the time + of course the DUP

Surely this house of cards will tumble in weeks if not days

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
What a ****ing mess we are in....

I knew Brexit was a shit storm from the beginning however the more and more i read about Brexit on a daily basis the more i realise that we are properly fooked. I just hope someone is going to step in and stop this whole shit show as it really does look like no one is putting the country first.

We really need to sort our own government out first before EU tears us a new one negotiating..

Why oh why did we leave. Read today about the shit our farmers are soon to be in :nono: amonst 100s of other issues

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Allowing May to stagger on as a Zombie PM for however long is putting the Party's interest above the Country's.

Maybe. But I maintain that any party in the current position (most votes and seats), including Labour, would be doing exactly the same thing right now.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
By the by (and apologies if this has been posted before) we all like montages of football and music, how about this one by Newsnight of GE 2017 and music. Johnny Cash sounding better than ever...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe. But I maintain that any party in the current position (most votes and seats), including Labour, would be doing exactly the same thing right now.

Quite probably, but hopefully they would be forced into acting in the Country's interest.

Someone in the Tory party needs to MTFU, take the bull by the horns and sort it out.

D

Deleted member 22389

3 days in and yes, Labour still lost. Now even they can't agree on which Brexit were getting
Soft, medium soft, firm, good to soft, hardish, Hard or rock hard.
Shambles on all sides of this farce.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

If you voted Leave like I did, your definitely not going to get what you voted for, could be the case you don't get Brexit at all, a disgusting shambles all round.
We could even end up going full circle, Labour government, No Brexit, at this point you will need to ask yourself what is the actual point of even voting anymore.

Farage was right, May should have triggered article 50 straight away, yet for the all Farage hating, he is the only one who hasn't changed track.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Here's the nub (well OK, a nub)....

Tory Right-wingers intend to assert themselves this evening when Mrs May addresses a private meeting of the 1922 Committee of backbenchers.

Several made clear in advance that their support depends on delivering the manifesto commitment to quit the European single market, which business leaders say would be disastrous for trade.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/exclusive-cabinet-sensibles-plot-soft-brexit-a3563036.html

OK, so this is George Osborne's Evening Standard but the rest of the article does hint as some possible interesting cross-party allegiances.

It also makes clear just how unlikely it is that May will be able to please all of her party all the time + of course the DUP

Surely this house of cards will tumble in weeks if not days

'The Sensibles' - heaven forbid the Tories let the sensible within their ranks run the party.

My message to the Tory Party - PUT THE COUNTRY FIRST! Not your own interests in maintaining power.

They need to look at the rest of the house, and not just see their adversaries, but see 17 Million or so of our votes that were not for their policies. Instead of giving huge weight to 290k votes to the DUP, there should be a reasonable ability of the Conservatives to look at the manifestoes of Labour, Libs, SNP, and offer to the house compromises to their own programme - this is what happens in minority government.

The only legitimacy as I can see it that the Tory government can have, is that they present to the house enough compromise that they can achieve enough cross party votes to maintain government.

I see no reason the Tories couldn't consider:
a) their position of brexit and include cross party involvement
b) compromise their position on tax, at the very least dropping proposed cuts
c) offer compromise on spending

This general election has shown that the public voted in numbers for the other parties, and surely they have to listen to that? They cannot pretend 17m people or so voted didn't for our centre and left parties!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Was the Queen’s speech delayed in 2010 after coalition talks?

The fact its delayed at all this time suggests the DUP are carrying more weight than they necessarily merit. You would think that with only 10 MPs and less than 1% of the national vote that any amendments would be minor and not take any time to iron out?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reappointment of Sun columnist Michael Gove to May's Cabinet a year after she sacked him tells you all you need to know about how blinkered and f**ked up the Tory Party is.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not really of any interest, until 2022, are they?
Bit early there, I think the 1922 Committee meeting won't finish til 21.30.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Faisal Islam‏Verified account @faisalislam 3h3 hours ago
More
Hmmm: "We don't want to leave single market itself, it's the Europeans saying you cant lose free movements &keep it"

It is almost like Davis etc have not been listening....

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
What a ****ing mess we are in....

I knew Brexit was a shit storm from the beginning however the more and more i read about Brexit on a daily basis the more i realise that we are properly fooked. I just hope someone is going to step in and stop this whole shit show as it really does look like no one is putting the country first.

We really need to sort our own government out first before EU tears us a new one negotiating..

Why oh why did we leave. Read today about the shit our farmers are soon to be in :nono: amonst 100s of other issues

Sounds like a job for Lord Buckethead

https://youtu.be/FJzW_gFoXR0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here