Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Where did you come up with this? Labour said they'd reduce immigration but, whenever pressed, Corbyn refused to put a figure on it, which hardly sounds like NO freedom of movement.

It was in the manifesto page 28

"Freedom of movement will end when we leave the European Union".......
"Working together we will institute a new system which is based on our economic needs, balancing controls and existing entitlements. This may include employer sponsorship, work permits, visa regulations or a tailored mix of all these which works for the many, not the few."

You are quite right he would not be drawn into giving a figure, but he repeated the party line quite often, freedom of movement will end

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How can you do PMQ's if you're not an MP ?

You can't.

I'm pretty sure that you can be PM without being a sitting MP. That said, it's not ethical.

Wilson appointed Patrick Walker as Foreign Secretary despite losing his seat. They then forced a by-election in Leyton, elevating Reginald Sorenson to the Lords.

Walker lost the by-election as the electorate gave the two fingers to Wilson.

I don't think anyone would do that again in a hurry.

Theresa May, perhaps...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
82% vote for both Labour and Tories. Not a lot of traction for the other parties who advocated freedom of movement. Your poll is also a bit out of date.
It isn't out of date. People can only vote for the choices they're given. People want to leave the EU, but have free trade with the EU - which party were they supposed to vote for?
You also have to factor in that a lot of people wouldn't openly say they voted for leave or what was the important issues around that.
The votes in the poll were private, no one gets to see how you voted.

Here is a more up to date survey
That says "People want to scrap EU freedom of movement but continue free trade with Europe". Well yeah, people would like to have their cake and eat it, but that's an unrealistic dream. What is more realistic is you either have free trade and free movement, or neither. With those choices, most people would choose the former.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I politely disagree. We must leave the customs union and the single market. The customs union prevents us from trade deals with the rest of the world.

We have no choice in soft or hard Brexit. Such a thing does not exist. We are leaving and it is up to the EU what they allow us to do.
They need our billions for their budget so this deal will be signed within 6 months.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The DUP wants to stay in The Customs Union and The Scottish Conservatives are leaning toward the single market though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I saw on Sky News just now Theresa May is due in Paris on Tuesday for dinner with Emmanuel Macron and they're attending the France v England friendly. I'm sure Mrs May will congratulate The French President on his landslide Presidential win and landslide tonight in the first round of French parliamentary elections. I'm not sure what he'll find to congratulate her about. Harry Kane's equaliser perhaps?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I saw on Sky News just now Theresa May is due in Paris on Tuesday for dinner with Emmanuel Macron and they're attending the France v England friendly. I'm sure Mrs May will congratulate The French President on his landslide Presidential win and landslide tonight in the first round of French parliamentary elections. I'm not sure what he'll find to congratulate her about. Harry Kane's equaliser perhaps?

Well, she did win the election, it probably just feels like she didn't. And The young Lions won the World Cup, and the Toulon Tournament this weekend, she can bring these up when the conversation gets a bit stilted.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Although to be fair, he was one of Blair's Iraq war accomplices. He is a self promoting tool who has lost all credibility. However it doesn't take too many brain cells to know that May has lost the plot.

Happy to agree with you,but yet he has a point on Closed Shop organisation when Labour under J/C were social media savvy ?

The DUP wants to stay in The Customs Union and The Scottish Conservatives are leaning toward the single market though.
I know, this is what is so frustrating for us Brexiteers. It has completely turned around and it appears that Labour are now the party for Brexit.

My Aunt's friend who lives in West boldon, Sunderland told me today that the labour activists were telling people on the doorstep that they were the only party for full Brexit and were going to stop free movement.

Confusing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
She'll probably send Amber Rudd.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just how much has U/K politics lost when the (well for me) Paddy Ashdown/Chat show Charlie and John Major seemed to be able to deal and handle matters ? Over to you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know, this is what is so frustrating for us Brexiteers. It has completely turned around and it appears that Labour are now the party for Brexit.

My Aunt's friend who lives in West boldon, Sunderland told me today that the labour activists were telling people on the doorstep that they were the only party for full Brexit and were going to stop free movement.

Confusing.

I agree with you. The whole irony of the situation now - The Conservatives being in the coalition of chaos - is laughable. Plenty of UKIP voters from 2015 and Brexit voters from last year voted Labour this time as well and the Tories seemed to just assume they'd vote for them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

A year ago you would say that France had a very much more difficult political situation than UK, but 12 months is a long time, and the situation now seems reversed. Given that HK's equalizer was against a very precious part of the Union, not sure congrats would be in order.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A year ago you would say that France had a very much more difficult political situation than UK, but 12 months is a long time, and the situation now seems reversed. Given that HK's equalizer was against a very precious part of the Union, not sure congrats would be in order.

Very true on Harry Kane. Winning the U20 Word Cup deserves congratulations instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here