Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I am guessing you are just the same as me but a Labour supporter.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I've never voted Labour in a general election. I was too young in '97, voted LD in 2001 and 2005 as was disaffected with middle-East policy, voted for Caroline Lucas in 2010 and 2015 and voted tactically for the Lib Dems in this election.

So no. I was furious with the Labour Party for a long time. I've been critical of Corbyn. We try and hold our own to account on the left - especially after Blair - the Tories with very few exceptions just lined up behind May because it was politically expedient for you to do so. Perhaps the Tories might not be not such a rush next time.

So what you are saying is you'll vote Conservative as there's no conceivable way that TM is still leader at the next election, unless it is almost immediate.

This is exactly the point I made earlier on the thread, the Conservative Party rather than SPAD's or Theresa May is to blame for where we are.

- The Tories didn't have to not have a leadership election.
- They didn't have to all fall in line obediently and without question.
- They didn't have to vote for the no confidence motion.
- They didn't have to back a negative, nasty and ultimately failed campaign.
- They don't have to get into bed with corrupt religious fundamentalists.

And as long as a fresh face is brought in at the top you'll just forgive and forget.
I disagree with Tess staying on and cobbling a coalition with the DUP. As I said, her gamble did not work, she has to go.

The tory party machine has been left out of this and that is the problem. May called the election with the advice of her aides, against the wishes of the party bigwigs, they had to go with it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
But it isn't...is it.

Labour is made up because they stopped the Tories achieving a huge majority, which would have been a disaster for the party. They also won seats from the Cons, something that was thought to be highly unlikely, by even some of their own MPs, and, the Tories actually lost seats, and it would have been far, far, worse had the Scots not voted for them for the first time in a generation they won 12 seats in Scotland,

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Labour is made up because they stopped the Tories achieving a huge majority, which would have been a disaster for the party. They also won seats from the Cons, something that was thought to be highly unlikely, by even some of their own MPs, and, the Tories actually lost seats, and it would have been far, far, worse had the Scots not voted for them for the first time in a generation they won 12 seats in Scotland,

Furthermore Canterbury and Kensington suggest that if they can mobilse resources on the ground and run effective social media they can win seats that Blair won in '97. There's concerns elsewhere for sure but that's what'll be keeping Tory HQ up at night in the coming months.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As I said, her gamble did not work, she has to go.

Not her gamble. Your gamble. You all need to own it. At any point you could have spoken up about it if you disagreed. Some on here did. Some Tories on here didn't even vote for her.

You also all knew what Lynton Crosby was like after his vile campaign in the London mayoral campaign but you still went there. Did you just write all that terrorist garbage off as a calculated risk in the LME?

Last edited:

Not her gamble. Your gamble. You all need to own it. At any point you could have spoken up about it if you disagreed. Some on here did. Some Tories on here didn't even vote for her.
Not my gamble at all. She called an election. I won't apologise to you for not voting the way you expect me too.

I did not speak up about it because I wanted her to win. She won, but did not get a majority like she wanted. She must walk. I won't sit in a corner and beat myself up about it and think about the damage I have done to you.

In our area Nick Gibb has done a pretty good job at getting my bins empty once a week. I am happy where I live. Safe, good schools and police presence so put the cross in the box for him.

Never seen our Labour candidate, Lib Dem or Green MP. Our independent left Ukip after the EU ref to go on his own and seems quite good but not enough experience.

Is this OK with you?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not my gamble at all. She called an election. I won't apologise to you for not voting the way you expect me too.

I did not speak up about it because I wanted her to win. She won, but did not get a majority like she wanted. She must walk. I won't sit in a corner and beat myself up about it and think about the damage I have done to you.

In our area Nick Gibb has done a pretty good job at getting my bins empty once a week. I am happy where I live. Safe, good schools and police presence so put the cross in the box for him.

Never seen our Labour candidate, Lib Dem or Green MP. Our independent left Ukip after the EU ref to go on his own and seems quite good but not enough experience.

Is this OK with you?

I wasn't asking you to apologise. You wrote some very disingenuous stuff about voting Independent next time, I was just asking you to own your vote.

Fair enough if you like your local MP. But the right can't get away with portraying this as some kind of Stockholm Syndrome situation like they did with Osborne and Cameron. You lost a PM last year through cynical, unnecessary risk taking and you may lose anther one this year for exactly the same thing. There is something wrong within the control mechanisms of the party for that to happen. The blame can not be seen to rest solely with May and her SPAD's, the membership have to be asking questions of how this could have happened again.

To use a favourite topic of the right we have had the red button in possesion of cynical risk takers for 7 years. That worries me far more than anything Corbyn could do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes. I thought it was the only way to guarantee Brexit carries on. Misguided maybe, but I made my choice. I have always voted tory.

I will probably vote independent from now on unless the tory machine gets rid of Tess. I voted for her gamble and believed she could do it, she failed and has to walk. The ruthless tory machine is normally good at getting rid of losers.
I like the cut of Ruth Davidson even though she was a remainer.

I'm not sure if that would be mutual, only saying like.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The Conservatives haven't won a decent majority for thirty years. They couldn't even get a majority against Corbyn. Perhaps landslides and huge majorities aren't a thing in this country anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

larus

You might be right but people have had enough of the Tories taking punts and failing. Their credibility is shot.

This constant whinging about the referendum is so pathetic. Lots of people in the country were unhappy with the evolution of the Commom Market to a Superstate. Giving the people a choice on this is not unreasonable. The country decided, yet the level of whinging is ludicrous.

THe main issues regarding the EU were free movement and the level of contributions (of course there were other issues such as the ECJ and laws/regulations). So, as "free movement" is a major reason for the BREXIT vote, I don't see how we can stay in the single market. The EU state if we want access to the single market we must accept free movement. Well, that ain't going to happen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This constant whinging about the referendum is so pathetic. Lots of people in the country were unhappy with the evolution of the Commom Market to a Superstate. Giving the people a choice on this is not unreasonable. The country decided, yet the level of whinging is ludicrous.

THe main issues regarding the EU were free movement and the level of contributions (of course there were other issues such as the ECJ and laws/regulations). So, as "free movement" is a major reason for the BREXIT vote, I don't see how we can stay in the single market. The EU state if we want access to the single market we must accept free movement. Well, that ain't going to happen.
Cameron and Osborne had a side. They took a risk and by their own terms they lost.

It was a cynical move to stop defections to UKIP - they never thought it would happen.

The alternative was either a SNP/Labour coalition or a UKIP/ Conservative one.

So the Prime Minister and Chancellor for reasons of political ecpediency took a punt and lost.

I'm not really whinging about the result of the referendum, I'm actually really worried about the checks and balances of a party that allows such individual risk taking by leaders seemingly without any peer review.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton

Im not calling you out here specifically, so don't take this personally but I've seen this line a lot since the ref. I voted remain but I've come to accept it now, all I want is a good, clean break that will work the best for the country. But, I have to point out that all this remoaner nonsense and calling remain voters who are unhappy whingers is a bit flat when the leave side had a political party that existed for that very reason, to moan and piss about the EU since 1991! When the remainers create a party that campaigns almost solely on the policy of staying in the EU, then I think they've still got a lot of whinging in the tank before they're up there with UKIP.

(you could argue the Lib-Dems took that role, but that wasn't really their main focus and will certainly be dropped now I'd have thought)

To clarify, I'm not really having a dig at UKIP either, I think one mans whinging is another mans right to discuss political discontent.

larus

Cameron and Osborne had a side. They took a risk and by their own terms they lost.

It was a cynical move to stop defections to UKIP - they never thought it would happen.

The alternative was either a SNP/Labour coalition or a UKIP/ Conservative one.

So the Prime Minister and Chancellor for reasons of political ecpediency took a punt and lost.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The point you seem to be missing is that more people wanted to leave than stay, so it's the will of the people, yet you seem to object to this as it doesn't match your view. To me it's democracy. It seems that you think democracy is great as long as it's your democracy :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here