Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Bizarre that some people can see more long term just how humungous a result this could be for Labour. Tories went to the polls and called an early election with the plan being to DECIMATE Labour. It backfired SPECTACULARLY. If Corbyn can perform like that with 99% of the press and a lot of his own party against him...

Exactly.

At the end of the day this result suggests there is only going to be MORE support for the Labour lead progressive side of UK politics moving forward, whilst the Tories have shown they can't attract a new audience and still rely on their core demographic of the wealthy, ignorant and aged.

As more young people see their votes DO make a difference, they're only going to be more galvanised to continue voting in bigger numbers. Where are the Tories going to gain new voters from as their core continues to die off? They will need a radical rethink in order to try again at capturing the floating voter, and right now they don't have the leadership capable of attracting them. Meanwhile Labour's hope-spouting underdog looks more credible than he's ever looked.

The right will just blame May for running a bad campaign but the truth is she had the money, the press backing and the powerbase but STILL couldn't attract new voters.

If another election were to be held this year, where on Earth would the Tories get any more votes from?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I can't see the Tories holding together under May for very long despite the self-preservation incentive. They made this a Brexit mandate election and didn't get one. Any rowing back will open up the huge fissures in the party and pee off all the Brexiteer voters who did vote for them.

The only solution I can see is a lame duck PM conducting damage limitation until new candidates are ready to challenge. New Leader in place distancing him/herself as far as possible from May's shambolic campaign calls an election. Spells out a clear decisive type of Brexit, reverses manifesto decisions adversely effecting pensioners throws money at the core support and the poor. All to be done before the end of September when Germany have their elections (when the real Brexit negotiating can begin). Simple .. what could possibly go wrong.

You're overlooking that she is a bloody difficult woman so we will probably have to limp along until she loses a parliamentary vote of no confidence, Another election, a change in Brexit team with the clock ticking down so we end up with a bad deal due to the fact Mrs May thought she was the only person able to take on the EU and get the best possible deal, when she can't even get the best possible deal for her party at home.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Surely there is going to be at least 2 or 3 pro - single market tory 'b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s' who'll make things very difficult for May now ? ???

May called the election because her back benchers were causing her trouble. Add them to the DUP. There will be problems ahead for her. There could be a by election in Thanet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't disagree with any of that, other than your assertion that I have ire. I don't. It's befuddlement due to the simple maths involved (I get it that numbers are confusing to some on the left) and your 1974 example illustrates why: Heath had 297 seats, and Corbyn has 261. That's a world of difference. I can't construct anything like a workable government from a starting point of those 261 seats.

(I think you mean the Liberal Party in 1974, not the DUP.)

I can't see it either on just 261 seats, especially given potential allies have all lost seats. I cannot disagree with you and it won't happen, but I don't think it is wrong for Labour to offer it forward, as if the Tories said today 'we cannot form a government', a party has said they are able to. I think that it is right to do that, but I agree I don't think it can be done.

Maybe I was wrong, but I thought Feb '74 was the DUP (all be it I only have a quote from wiki...)

Heath did not resign immediately as Prime Minister. Assuming that Northern Ireland's Unionist MPs could be persuaded to support a Conservative government on confidence matters over one led by Wilson, he entered into negotiations with Thorpe to form a coalition government. Thorpe, never enthusiastic about supporting the Conservatives, demanded major electoral reforms in exchange for such an agreement. Unwilling to accept such terms, Heath resigned and Wilson returned for his second spell as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

The Liberals did not have enough seats to combine with another party to achieve an overall majority. This made the formation of a stable government in this parliament a practical impossibility. Wilson was widely expected from the outset to call another general election before long, and this happened in October that year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're overlooking that she is a bloody difficult woman so we will probably have to limp along until she loses a parliamentary vote of no confidence, Another election, a change in Brexit team with the clock ticking down so we end up with a bad deal due to the fact Mrs May thought she was the only person able to take on the EU and get the best possible deal, when she can't even get the best possible deal for her party at home.

And let's not forget she didn't even understand the laws of her own country, let alone those of the EU, and had to be put right by the high court. Either this or was too arrogant to think she needed to obey them.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The only difference between the leader of the opposition and the PM is who wins on the day. Corbyn stood to be PM and has been even more selfish in clinging to power than May may be.

I disagree, as your point was about how self-centred politicians (you said PM) could be. There was a time in the night when Corbyn was favourite to be our next PM. Dave and May are not the only self-centred politicians, and won't be the only self-centred PMs.

So you're not disagreeing with me that DC and TM have both been entirely self centred when in office and attempted to put their own careers ahead of the good of the country.

You're just saying that Corbyn would probably do the same based on his behaviour as party leader.

So we agree, apart from semantics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think going into Coalition, or at least a deal with the DUP could be disastrous for the Tories.

What's their view on the Irish border?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
A lot of comments on here about how well Corbyn did in the face of a hostile tabloid media. True of course, but one of the many interesting aspects of the apparent demographic shift we're seeing in political orientation is that the youth don't, as far as I can tell, actually read the Mail, Express, Sun etc, but get their news and views from other sources.
Is it too soon to say that we may be seeing a time when the tabloid proprietors can no longer determine the outcome of elections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Exactly.

At the end of the day this result suggests there is only going to be MORE support for the Labour lead progressive side of UK politics moving forward, whilst the Tories have shown they can't attract a new audience and still rely on their core demographic of the wealthy, ignorant and aged.

As more young people see their votes DO make a difference, they're only going to be more galvanised to continue voting in bigger numbers. Where are the Tories going to gain new voters from as their core continues to die off? They will need a radical rethink in order to try again at capturing the floating voter, and right now they don't have the leadership capable of attracting them. Meanwhile Labour's hope-spouting underdog looks more credible than he's ever looked.

The right will just blame May for running a bad campaign but the truth is she had the money, the press backing and the powerbase but STILL couldn't attract new voters.

If another election were to be held this year, where on Earth would the Tories get any more votes from?

The Tory share of the vote went up 6% the minor parties were squeezed more went to Labour plus the youngsters bothered to turn up. The electorate have shown a wicked sense of humour shifting positions beyond party lines.. in large numbers for numerous reasons.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may not like this, but I AM claiming a win, for the left.

Not that 'we' won the election - obviously, but that the Government's reckless and complacent attitude, that they had (or thought they could snap their fingers and achieve) a mandate to do whatever the hell they wanted, with Brexit, the NHS, fox hunting and anything else has received a sound kicking.

They may cling to power of course, but they will have to reign themselves in, which will be to the good of us all. They may well have to call another election very soon, in which the worst excesses of their original manifesto will have to be binned. They will have to shift back towards the centre-ground to perform better next time round, which again is a GOOD thing for US.

A win.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Quite. This should see an even bigger youth turnout next time, and a return of people who were previously Labour but didn't vote this time due to thinking Corbyn would get "destroyed".

The big question after that is whether Labour can perform an effective cabinet reshuffle to get the likes of Umunna back on board. If so, I would put decent money on a majority in the next GE. Exciting times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] won't like this, but I AM claiming a win, for the left.

Not that 'we' won the election - obviously, but that the Government's reckless and complacent attitude, that they had (or thought they could snap their fingers and achieve) a mandate to do whatever the hell they wanted, with Brexit, the NHS, fox hunting and anything else has received a sound kicking.

They may cling to power of course, but they will have to reign themselves in, which will be to the good of us all. They may well have to call another election very soon, in which the worst excesses of their original manifesto will have to be binned. They will have to shift back towards the centre-ground to perform better next time round, which again is a GOOD thing for US.

A win.

Yup the Tories have scored a howler of an own goal that they will struggle to pull back now.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] won't like this, but I AM claiming a win, for the left.

A win.

And which in turn will lead to a softer Brexit. There's zero chance of getting a hard Brexit through parliament with their current numbers. I hope she now listens to the people, the original mandate, and acts accordingly. Because if she doesn't she'll be toast.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Open border with free movement. Fully uphold The Good Friday Agreement.

A fully open border and free movement.....that's interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here