Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But on predicted results that leaves an overall majority of 3.

I'm not sure that's the case, is it. Wouldn't it be:

MPs: 650
Less Sinn Fein: 7
Less the speaker: 1
Effective total: 642

Effective majority target: 322

Conservative: 319
DUP: 10
Coalition total: 329

Effective majority: 7

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looking at it the morning after it's a mess tbh. Have to blame May's manifesto tbh as it's created a disaster. Made them lose a number of marginal seats in my opinion. Some bad ideas in there which cost to many votes
She'd probably have a majority if she hadn't mentioned fox hunting. What a tit.

Leaves us in a worse mess than when we started. 11 days till Brexit discussions start god help us all.
Yep.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Democratic sense is to have a coalition (or at least agreement) with over half of the seats. I understand your point about the Tories joining the Lib Dems to the left, but that doesn't look like an option this time.

No exactly, which is why currently even with a working majority with the DUP, it isn't a position of strength, because the rest of the house is left. The Tories would only need a handful of rebels (that they always have) and they're not getting anything through. I'm not sure the DUP numbers would be enough to form a stable government, even if it has the numbers on paper.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The really remarkable result is in Canterbury. Labour overturned a 10K majority to take the seat, which has been Tory for over 100 years.

Big student vote, I expect - two universities in the City (or nearby).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Ha - some bloke with Andrew Neil on the BBC has just said the very same figures!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leaves us in a worse mess than when we started. 11 days till Brexit discussions start god help us all.

I said earlier that the hard Brexit manifesto is now dead in the water. Everything, including the original referendum, points to a softer Brexit. Corbyn and May now need to sit down, be adult, listen to what this election has said, and form a cross party group of MPs to decide the preferred terms of Brexit and then go and negotiate them. I'd ask a non MP/minister to negotiate. This will take Brexit out of the current governmental stalemate.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You will soon see, as will your children and theirs, Brexit is no victory. If it happens. I wouldn't rule anything out at this stage in the game.

Viva la EU!!

If it happens......thats priceless.
Still clinging on to false hope :lolol:
i love how wrong and out of touch you are

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The reason any deal with the DUP is slightly unpalatable, is the Tories don't have an outright majority because of the voting to the left.

It also makes impossible to wheel out the "Corbyn is a friend of terrorists" line again. There are too many DUP members with unsavory pasts.

Looking at it the morning after it's a mess tbh. Have to blame May's manifesto tbh as it's created a disaster.

One thing that hardly anyone has mentioned is fox-hunting.* It served no economic purpose, did nothing to help 99% of the country and did nothing to mend any divide. It's a measure that's opposed by 85 to 90% of the electorate, including many natural Tory voters. It was a completely brainless item to include in the manifesto: no political advantage and probably some lost votes

* EDIT: I see Trig mentioned it while I was posting this: it still got remarkably little coverage for a bone-headed decision

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Ha - some bloke with Andrew Neil on the BBC has just said the very same figures!

I wonder if Sinn Fein would rethink their absenteeism stand if DUP prop up Theresa May.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Yer but no but.....

The DUP are hugely concerned about the NI/Eire border and know that a hard border would throw the peace process into turmoil. This alone could have a huge effect on Brexit negotiations.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

They officially started on the 29th March.

May in her wisdom though it was a good idea, after the talks had officially started (and the two year clock was ticking) to hold a GE and put the talks on hold for two months, despite the fact that they are in theory limited to two years in length.

Now with have this shower of shite foisted upon us.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If it happens......thats priceless.
Still clinging on to false hope :lolol:
i love how wrong and out of touch you are

It's going to happen, but it's looking more and more like a disaster - The EU have more over us now - we don't even know who the PM will be when the talks start, let alone when they finish.

Even David Davis has no idea anymore.

This was a mess that could have been avoided.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Theresa May expected to go to the Palace and say she can form a government.

On that news, the next PM odds have shifted massively:

May - 1/7
Corbyn - 20/1
Davis - 25/1
Johnson - 28/1

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wonder if Sinn Fein would rethink their absenteeism stand if DUP prop up Theresa May.
They understandably object to the necessity of swearing allegiance to the queen, so no, I doubt they'll ever do that. I fully support them on this, it's a totally undemocratic requirement.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No exactly, which is why currently even with a working majority with the DUP, it isn't a position of strength, because the rest of the house is left. The Tories would only need a handful of rebels (that they always have) and they're not getting anything through.
But your logic would suggest that last time they would only be able to get left policies through, as the house was a little to the left. Given the the Tories wouldn't want to get left policies through, that would have mean not doing anything last time either.

Of course they're not in a position of strength, it's a shambles, but I'm not sure it needs to be any worse than the last coalition.

What is certain, is that May and her advisors have royally ****ed up. Idiots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here