Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I can't wait for it all to be over.

The dullest and most pointless election in a generation, despite having the most at stake in many a long year.

Cant stand May, Corbyn is a good bloke but a wet blanket of a leader with a rubbish team around him.

Will probably just spoil the ballot paper in protest at the poor state of politics in this country ATM.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yep already planning for this.

Trip to Tesco tomorrow for snacks and beerage - and will settled own for the duration or I pass out.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Since all the Brexit polava, where I voted leave, I'm sort of bored of all the political circus that's going on at the moment.
I'm in sort of the same quandary as yourself, what to do.
Will leave voting till later on tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a moment of clarity :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Went to bed at 11 last time, told myself it was boring. That backfired and I woke about every half hour, consulted my watch, saw Sunderland declare, and then eventually gave up on sleep at about 1:30. Why can't GE's be held on a Friday night when moreof us would be able to muddle through saturday without a lack of sleep problem?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'll likely be awake as my partner is obsessed with the whole thing, so I may well pop in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why can't GE's be held on a Friday night when moreof us would be able to muddle through saturday without a lack of sleep problem?

Now then. Around a week or so ago I was in the car with Five Live on and they said something about elections aren't on Friday because, historically, those paid weekly will have cash in their pocket and would rather go down the pub than to the polling station.

I have no idea if this is correct, but it strikes me as very British so I am going to believe it is and not try and find out the real answer.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
can vaguely remember hearing something similar on radio lately too

use to watch them all night - not sure can be bothered this time though

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
What about the students (mainly newcomers to the city) who've rushed to register? The final bribe was McDonnell mentioned at the weekend about somehow cancelling all historical student loans full stop. Might be a lie but a vote winner if ever there was one - imagine if a party promised to pay off one third of your mortgage capital balance, if in government.

Students overwhelmingly in Pavilion NOT Kemptown, which has Telscombe, Woodingdean and Peacehaven

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In just over 24 hours the fun will all begin with the exit polls being published to a waiting nation and it becomes very much "game on" for those who have plans to go through the night and see the drama unfold.

As I get older, I struggle more with these now so for the first time ever I'm contemplating trying to see if I can get a couple of hours sleep before kick-off.

I'm also questioning whether my usual approach to drink my way through is wise. Maybe I'll have greater endurance if I steer clear of the booze.

I'll eat my body weight in crisps though. That's a given.

Who's planning to go through the night, or most of it, and what is your plan of attack?

With respect Bozza, why the hell would one stay up and put themselves through the circus which is British politics (at the moment)?
My only attack tonight will be going to bed and hopefully wake up to another sunny day :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Now then. Around a week or so ago I was in the car with Five Live on and they said something about elections aren't on Friday because, historically, those paid weekly will have cash in their pocket and would rather go down the pub than to the polling station.

I have no idea if this is correct, but it strikes me as very British so I am going to believe it is and not try and find out the real answer.

Yeah, the sort of 'fact' that should never be challenged. :D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Good to have you on board fella, although your post is a little light on detail.

I'll attempt to drink my way through but generally start flagging around 04:30hrs and have to switch to coffee and a quick walk around the garden.

I'll hunker down with high carb snacks and a fridge full of chilled Stella and get ready for the exit poll and the analysis from the assembled pundits and politicians. The first few declarations will tell us something - ie how much has the UKIP vote collapsed and where has it gone but as it will be Sunderland it will be hard to draw too many conclusions. By the time Telford, Swindon etc declare around midnight I reckon we will have a good idea where this one is headed, based on the share of the vote. By the early hours there is no real reason to stay up any longer but I can't help myself.

Trouble is I find it compelling and tell myself I will wait 'for one more marginal' to declare and before I know it, it's twenty past three and I think, sod it I may as well see it through till someone concedes. Oh, and I love seeing some of the big beasts get slain by an unknown.

Suffice to say, Mrs Nylon thinks I am completely insane. But my degree is in Politics so she just goes off to bed and lets me get on with it. Usually it is my one excuse to drink through the night once every 5 years. To have 2 general elections and a referendum in the space of 3 years makes this a purple patch probably never to be repeated in my lifetime :)

:drink::drink::drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here