General Election 2017

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
How do you know some haven't worked? It is highly likely a large number have been thwarted, that we never get to hear about.

As for May voting against, she did, but doesn't have anything like the track record Corbyn has for this and I have no faith that he would lead the country satisfactorily in this area.

I realise you may/do support Labour, but do you think his approach is right in this area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see Corbyn's Labour selling arms to Saudi Arabia for a start which can only help

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
At least with Labour you have sums, with the Tories you have to guess it all

No, what you have is an idealistic approach, yes, it is positive there is something, the conservative manifesto is laughable.

The thing is for example, tax on private school fees, parents put their children in state schools which are struggling to cope, you don't hit the figure quoted and create a new problem somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Isn't working? There have been numerous attacks thwarted by the security services/police over the last few years. There are 500 live counter-terrorist investigations at any time, there are 23000 people on the radar. The security services have always said some will eventually get through, it's impossible to guarantee 100% security in a free society. It took just 8 minutes for the Police to respond to and kill all the terrorists.

It's ridiculous bringing the nuclear deterrent issue into a discussion about fighting terrorism. The current issue is how best to combat terrorism the man you want to become PM proudly boasts “I’ve been involved in opposing anti-terror legislation ever since I first went into Parliament in 1983”.

Prevention of Terrorism Bill in 1984. It introduced police powers to arrest a person suspected of involvement in acts of terrorism connected to Northern Ireland.

Corbyn: Voted against it

1989 Prevention of Terrorism Bill, which proscribed the IRA and Irish National Liberation Army.

Terrorism Act 2000
Introduced by the Labour government - gave a broad definition of terrorism for the first time. The Act also gave the police the power to detain terrorist suspects for up to seven days and created a list of proscribed terrorist organisations.

Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001

Aftermath of the London 7/7 bombings, part of the 2006 Terrorism Act - extended the detention-without-charge period from 14 to 28 days.

Counter-terrorism Act 2008

Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Act

Justice and Security Act 2013

Now there may be some good arguments why he opposed one or two pieces of legislation but his serial opposition record suggests protecting the public isn't a top priority ..

I see you left out May's voting on some of those?

The Governemnt ignored warnings about cuts in the police.

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/871344774741151744 This guy doesn't seem to keen

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I would like to know whether JC approves of the terrorists being shot dead last night. If he wins on Thursday and something else happens next weekend will police orders have been changed ?

Not sure, perhaps the Police will have to try to engage them in debate (while apologising for our foreign policy obviously) before being allowed to blaze away ..

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Whilst not Mrs May's biggest fan I do wonder how Jeremy Corbyn would have conducted himself as Primeminister in the last 18 hours or so?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
For balance it's worth noting that May and Davis voting against some of the legislation too...

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

I see you left out May's voting on some of those?

The Governemnt ignored warnings about cuts in the police.

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/871344774741151744 This guy doesn't seem to keen

As I said voting against a couple pieces of anti-terrorist legislation may have some validity but this potential PM boasts about opposing it for 30 years. Combined with all his other nefarious activities and those of his inner circle I think he would be better suited on a watch list than heading up our National defence.

I know it's only deflecting from Corbyn's glaring inadequacies but Is there any evidence the recent spate of attacks has anything to do with Police numbers? An 8 minute response time seemed pretty good to me.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
IMG_0143.JPG

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see 28% of those responding to this poll stated they will vote Tory.

Possibly against my better judgement, I voted Tory in 2015 (good local candidate...Lib Dem bloke new on the scene, and not particularly dynamic). This time round I cannot imagine in a million years voting Tory, and it amazes me how anyone thinks it's a sensible idea. It would be great to hear from a few of the 28% why they are voting for Mrs May. If you are, then I assume you do NOT (a) work in the public services; (b) want quality health and social care; (c) want fair taxation; (d) want a strong police force; (e) value costed economic policies; (f) want anything other than a hard Brexit.... I could go on.

If you're a pensioner you're going to lose the Triple Lock, and be subject to the vagaries of the Dementia Tax (it will happen under the Tories - it's just at what level);
If you earn anything less than £80k pa you could end up paying more tax (at least Corbyn has guaranteed that 95% of people will NOT pay more tax - Theresa May is rather evasive when it comes to taxation);
If you work in, or use, the public sector you have another 5 years of austerity and cuts to look forward to;
If you work for a company which exports to the EU, or has any sort of relationship with the EU, your job is seriously at risk (the "No Deal" scenario which Theresa May is happy to contemplate basically means no right to export or trade with the EU - a mere 50% of our trade);
If you like going on holiday to the EU, you could be stuffed come April 2019 ("No Deal" means no rights to fly to the EU).

However, if you like fox hunting, and earn over £80k pa, then I can definitely see why you might vote Tory.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
As I said voting against a couple pieces of anti-terrorist legislation may have some validity but this potential PM boasts about opposing it for 30 years. Combined with all his other nefarious activities and those of his inner circle I think he would be better suited on a watch list than heading up our National defence.

I know it's only deflecting from Corbyn's glaring inadequacies but Is there any evidence the recent spate of attacks has anything to do with Police numbers? An 8 minute response time seemed pretty good to me.

The evidence is right there in front of you. Police have come out and warned about this again and again, you can't seriously be trying to excuse it? Police are overstretched, which makes the 8 minute response time even more incredible. A lack of police and social workers on the ground has been cited as one of the big problems of tackling terrorism at Street level.

And I don't want to get into a he said she said back and forth, not least because I feel like I'm arguing for a bloke I'm not even voting for, but when talking about nefarious activities, take a look at just what this government, with may having a big hand in it, have been doing in regards to Saudi Arabia. There are HUGE, uncomfortable questions there.

Like I said, I'm not a labour voter, but what I don't like is a few on here that seem to think this tory government cannot be criticised. It's like all the cuts to disability benefits, put your fingers in your ears, or point at the other guy and it all goes away.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Conservatives need no 2nd vote on this thread or any other,neither do we require any 2nd referendums,so as it stands on this thread Labour will win the general election,thing is they will not....

as you were.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
At least she won't slash police numbers by 20,000

This can be counteracted by longer stiffer sentences,throwing away the key for a few persistent unable to be rehabilitated types,irony is 20,000 cuts would still take place in the end game....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports