Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Fine, these people don't like the Tories but why deface campaign boards.

Even worse than that, i'll post a bit of it here:

Some of the most shocking posts uncovered during a MailOnline investigation were left by football fan Jordie Lewes from Brighton - who wrote: 'We know who to rob when our kids get ill and we can't afford the treatment.'
He also wrote: 'It's sickening! Burn the f****** lot!'
Lewes was commenting on a status written by Oscar Hendrix who had boasted that he was 'glad to see' the defacement of the posters, which can cost hundreds of pounds.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-plot-burn-rob-Tory-homes.html#ixzz4ixjwVOt3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
but he is still there gaining on the tories and gaining grass roots supporters

I doubt very much that he is gaining grass-root supporters, as you say. He is promising all sorts of goodie bags, even though it is blatantly obvious that it cannot all be afforded, but the punters want to hear that they and their kids will get free this and that, without asking too many questions as to who will pay for it all in the long run.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
In the run up to Mrs May calling the election I felt JC was not a leader I could vote for however I now realise that the media have been running at best a media black out and at worst a campain of smears towards Labour under JC and since the election was called JC has had an opertunity to talk directly to the British people he is coming across to me as a sincere man who wants the best for the majority of population and has a clear set of policy's as to how it can be delivered.

For me one of the biggest issues is healthcare we are the fifth biggest economy yet we spend less on health per person than France, Germany, Republic of Ireland, Holand, Demark, Austria, Austrailia, Belgium, Canada, Luxombourg, Japan, Norway, Switzerland,Norway, Iceland even the USA spends more on state funded health per person than we do!!!!

We as a country have the money it's how we choose to spend it I know how I want it spent I'm voting Labour

It is of course your right to decide that you are voting Labour due to your admiration of Corbyn. You might, however, like to reflect that his OWN party in 30 years has not once seen him as idea ministerial calibre - and someone so inexperienced in government, who, let's face it, has come over as disorganised and at time shambolic, will be thrust into the position of PM with all that entails in terms of responsibility. A sobering thought. Yes, he might be sincere, though at times he has shown himself to be as cynical and calculating as other politicians (the train journey and his cynical change of heart to attend the slanging match, come to mind).

Regarding your second point, yes we do spend less on health and it clearly shows in our health service and several folk on here have said they are happy to pay an extra 1p on income tax to fund a better service. But what if that spending goes up and up? An extra £50.00 per month OK? £100.00? Perhaps if were to take the politics out of health, then we may well be on the road to a better service, but the fact that Corbyn and his ilk have no intention of doing that and will opt for a state-run system, even if it might not necessarily be the best. There may well be other systems that give better value for money and still ensure that we all are treated equally, but Corbyn will reject all of that and continue to demand that ever more money is put in for purely ideological reasons.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
c4fe1b387ce94e3735f861fe0de1fc61.jpg
9 Tory men of a certain age (out of 120 audience) grilled Corbyn on IRA/Brexit/Trident/overseas aid.
= 29% of total Question Time questions.
Luckily, I suspect that these kinds of people are not the future.

Talking of the future - this gives us a good insight into what Corbyn's Britain would be like. Post photos of anyone who disagrees with him and put them into the public domain for all to see. This reminds me so much of what my family put up with in East Germany -the slightest hint of any deviation from the party line and you were really ostracised. Seem far-fetched to compare this with a communist dictatorship? Perhaps so, but this poster considers it acceptable to single out those who oppose the party line.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not yet because it's only just been released.

I wouldn't get too excited though. ComRes inflate the Conservative lead by using a turnout model based on the 2015 GE. Given the vastly different dynamics of this election, I can't see that being correct.

Several more polls due out today. Don't worry, there will be no selective posting of polls.

And we've done this before as well.

The chief ComRes dude was on 5 Live on Thursday, primarily to talk about the debate audience selection, but also covered off their poll ratings.

He said that every poll since 1983 has underestimated Tory support and they are indeed attempting to cover that ongoing anomaly. Every pollster is doing the same - adjusting Conservative voting intention up.

Given the continued nasty, hostile and vociferous abuse of those who vote Tory from the super-humans left of centre, perhaps Shy Tory-ness has moved to an even higher level this time round.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

The chief ComRes dude was on 5 Live on Thursday, primarily to talk about the debate audience selection, but also covered off their poll ratings.

He said that every poll since 1983 has underestimated Tory support and they are indeed attempting to cover that ongoing anomaly. Every pollster is doing the same - adjusting Conservative voting intention up.

Given the continued nasty, hostile and vociferous abuse of those who vote Tory from the super-humans left of centre, perhaps Shy Tory-ness has moved to an even higher level this time round.

I prefer to think of it as Ashamed Tory-ness.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Hardly a frenzy... more enjoying a nice glass of Merlot while cooking Mrs T's tea... has anyone posted this one yet?

Westminster voting intention (ComRes/Sunday Mirror):

CON: 47% (+1)
LAB: 35% (+1)
LDEM: 8% (-)
UKIP: 4% (-)
GRN: 1% (-)

(via @ComRes / 31 May - 02 June)

From what I read that one underestimates the young vote thinking they won't vote whilst the other one thinks they do , in other words clear as mud

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

My point has nothing to do with shy Tories, which has already been accounted for in this and other polls (to varying extents).

The point is they are taking a big gamble on younger voter turnout being similar to the 2015 GE. This is the main reason they are an outlier compared to most other polls. YouGov, for example, think voter turnout will be similar to 2010 GE when the turnout was higher. A higher turnout means more young people, who are massively more likely to vote Labour, will actually make their way down to the polling booth.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/01/pollsters-experimental-election/

I think this thread also proves there are many hostile individuals on those right of centre, too. As we have also already been over.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I can't believe that people are still following and getting all stewed up over polls, the last few have been shockers and the still wheel out that stupid old duffer who is supposed to be an 'expert'.
I think Camerons EXIT poll was wrong if I remember correctly and that was because a lot of people would not admit to voting for him, and I don't blame them.
It could go that way with May as well no matter how rich you are it's difficult to put an X next to a person who supports child poverty, homelessness, people dieing on trollies, old people getting no care at home, kids supplying their own books so they can learn, nurses queuing at food banks, and admit to doing so.

D

Deleted member 22389

c4fe1b387ce94e3735f861fe0de1fc61.jpg
9 Tory men of a certain age (out of 120 audience) grilled Corbyn on IRA/Brexit/Trident/overseas aid.
= 29% of total Question Time questions.
Luckily, I suspect that these kinds of people are not the future.

Talking of the future - this gives us a good insight into what Corbyn's Britain would be like. Post photos of anyone who disagrees with him and put them into the public domain for all to see. This reminds me so much of what my family put up with in East Germany -the slightest hint of any deviation from the party line and you were really ostracised. Seem far-fetched to compare this with a communist dictatorship? Perhaps so, but this poster considers it acceptable to single out those who oppose the party line.

If the people put Labour in power this is going to be worse than Blair. You look at some of the momentum posts on twitter, seems to me they hate old white people, it's really aggressive. Corbyn's vision doesn't sit comfortably with me whatsoever. Not his policies but the way his supporters talk. I think your example sums it perfectly and is a blueprint.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I can't believe that people are still following and getting all stewed up over polls, the last few have been shockers and the still wheel out that stupid old duffer who is supposed to be an 'expert'.
I think Camerons EXIT poll was wrong if I remember correctly and that was because a lot of people would not admit to voting for him, and I don't blame them.
It could go that way with May as well no matter how rich you are it's difficult to put an X next to a person who supports child poverty, homelessness, people dieing on trollies, old people getting no care at home, kids supplying their own books so they can learn, nurses queuing at food banks, and admit to doing so.

It was the same thing over the Labour power years too. You know that but hey ho, let's just forget that inconvenient truth huh?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not yet because it's only just been released.

I wouldn't get too excited though. ComRes inflate the Conservative lead by using a turnout model based on the 2015 GE. Given the vastly different dynamics of this election, I can't see that being correct.

The ComRes prediction of 47% for the Tories is massive: that beats the Labour landslide in 1997 and the Tory one in 1983, it's on a par with the Attlee win in 1945. I certainly think the Tories will win a comfortable majority but I'd be astonished if they got 47% of the vote.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Don't be so pathetically simplistic with your sweeping statement. No one supports what you are claiming, and in any case what you describe has been going for ages, as you well know. Last week, I heard the police federation Chairman say that his officers had also used food banks, much to the merriment of the officers on £30.000 in my family - whilst I have no doubt that they answer a need, they are also becoming very politically convenient.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The ComRes prediction of 47% for the Tories is massive: that beats the Labour landslide in 1997 and the Tory one in 1983, it's on a par with the Attlee win in 1945. I certainly think the Tories will win a comfortable majority but I'd be astonished if they got 47% of the vote.

I can't see it being that high either. But it does somewhat demonstrate a return to two party politics. Even the 35% they give to Labour is large - the same as what they achieved during the 2005 GE when they had a 150+ majority.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This looks like one of those photos you see in the papers which has a paragraph ending with "and we're sentenced to a total of 87 years ."

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 98

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This looks like one of those photos you see in the papers which has a paragraph ending with "and we're sentenced to a total of 87 years ."

Probably best not to joke about it. Given the hate that some of Corbyn's supporters can show (yes, it can happen on both sides, I appreciate) the combined sentence of 87 years will be the going rate for people who do not come to the "correct" view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here