Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

D

Deleted member 22389

You cannot debate with them Soulman. It is like dealing with a lot of educated Vicky Pollards. 'Yeah, what? No, well yeah BUT.......(place the argument of your choice here) Educated but ultimately deluded and yet prone to 'getting in your ear' until they have worn you down. Bollocks to 'em.

Labour have promised to build more homes, trouble is if they get in and finally build those homes, they will need to build another lot of homes after that for all the extra people that have come in, same with the schools, hospitals, doctors. It will never end.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Did anybody watch the Tim Farron interview with Andrew Neil? I like these one-on-one interviews, and much prefer them to the much larger debate that was on TV last night.

I thought Tim Farron came across very badly. Kept talking over Andrew Neil and in the end it was car crash TV. When this election was called I thought Tim Farron would do quite well, but he seems to me to be doing really badly.

I think Mr Corbyn has done the best of all the leaders so far, closely followed by Nicola Sturgeon. I still think Mrs May is the most capable politician of all the leaders, but I think she has run a pretty rubbish election campaign.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Didn't want to lose the reply in the huge thread!

Simple question, will JC take us out the single market?

It's a vote deciding question..

Its a redundant question. There is NO possibility of leaving the EU and staying in the single market. None.

hans kraay is quite correct, and heres the problem with Labour's EU policy: they accept say they accept the referedum result then say they they will negotiate to stay in the single market and customs union. suggests they will seek a deal that leaves the EU in name but not in parctice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did anybody watch the Tim Farron interview with Andrew Neil? I like these one-on-one interviews, and much prefer them to the much larger debate that was on TV last night.

I thought Tim Farron came across very badly. Kept talking over Andrew Neil and in the end it was car crash TV. When this election was called I thought Tim Farron would do quite well, but he seems to me to be doing really badly.

I've been on a train home from meetings in the Midlands but funnily enough one of my friends - not particularly political - put something on their Facebook that said exactly the same.

Farron is a bit unfortunate. He comes over like a churchy Spitting Image puppet. He has a policy on Europe that I probably agree with but that flies in the face of popular thought. He's not going to get all of the 48% to agree with him. I'd suggest if you re-ran the referendum today it wouldn't be 52-48 anyway. But he is going to alienate Brexit / Leave voters and give them an easy "it's already been decided democratically" stick to beat him with. On the hustings he seems a little nervous, a little nerdy. It's all so tin pot. He's the Reading FC of the election. The annoying thing about all of that is I fairly much support the Lib Dem line.

So how galling for the Tories that he was the one to finally put away the open goal May left by not turning up.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Or are they just using their democratic right to state their opposition to the policies and manifesto of the party she represents, as her party leader is too scaredcto turn up.

Was the debate about policies or a producing an hours worth of television. Packed full of left leaning audience members, questions not answered and all squabbling to get their voice heard. a really pointless exercise, Corbyn trotting out the same old mantra he has been puching all election and answering nothing, oh but he did turn up, to do what?
The whole thing was a bit of an embarrassment.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
hans kraay is quite correct, and heres the problem with Labour's EU policy: they accept say they accept the referedum result then say they they will negotiate to stay in the single market and customs union. suggests they will seek a deal that leaves the EU in name but not in parctice.

I am trying to grasp why you and others think it is impossible to leave the EU and stay in the single market, although I agree it would for me not be feasible, it would be a fudge and I personally want out out, but isnt that exactly what so called soft Brexit is as opposed to hard Brexit, what else can the difference be ??

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I've been on a train home from meetings in the Midlands but funnily enough one of my friends - not particularly political - put something on their Facebook that said exactly the same.

Farron is a bit unfortunate. He comes over like a churchy Spitting Image puppet. He has a policy on Europe that I probably agree with but that flies in the face of popular thought. He's not going to get all of the 48% to agree with him. I'd suggest if you re-ran the referendum today it wouldn't be 52-48 anyway. But he is going to alienate Brexit / Leave voters and give them an easy "it's already been decided democratically" stick to beat him with. On the hustings he seems a little nervous, a little nerdy. It's all so tin pot. He's the Reading FC of the election. The annoying thing about all of that is I fairly much support the Lib Dem line.

So how galling for the Tories that he was the one to finally put away the open goal May left by not turning up.

The empty goal scored by Rudd, not a particularly popular person, when she highlighted the squabbling and internal arguement amongst the other panellists, very succinct I thought.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I try to stay out of these debates nowadays - just too depressing - but after all the debate for God knows how long, I can't believe that people still don't understand the difference between the EU and the Single Market. In the Referendum we (narrowly) voted to leave the EU. We were not asked about the Single Market or the Customs Union, so we did NOT vote to leave either of these. In a way, the General Election could be useful in clarifying the position here - albeit Mayhem is doing her best to tell us absolutely nothing about the Tory party policy - apart from "Brexit means Brexit" - what a joke. Ultimately, given over 48% of those who voted on 23rd June voted to Remain, we should (democratically) have the softest of Brexits. Unfortunately the lunacy of the hard right Brexiteer bunch are ignoring this and are about to lead us into oblivion....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I felt that Corbyn, whilst there, might as well not have been last evening. Looked a little embarrassed at all of the playground shouting at times, delivered all of the usual rhetoric about schools and NHS and food and houses for everyone with no hint of the actual sums balancing.

Half-heartedly presenting a diluted Manifesto with which he has little in common ground personally, does he REALLY believe it?

Trident Jeremy?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Just watched it back. Jesus, an absolute car crash. The first time I've agreed with The Express ever I would think. Worse Andrew Neil highlighted a policy I'd missed regarding encryption apps and informing suspects who'd been under surveillance, which I agree with Neil is absolutely potty.

Open goal one night, own goal the next.

Watch for yourself. It's horrible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Farron is a bit unfortunate. He comes over like a churchy Spitting Image puppet. ... It's all so tin pot. He's the Reading FC of the election.

:lolol: not sure which i analogy i prefer.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I felt that Corbyn, whilst there, might as well not have been last evening. Looked a little embarrassed at all of the playground shouting at times, delivered all of the usual rhetoric about schools and NHS and food for everyone with no hint of the actual sums balancing.

Half-heartedly presenting a diluted Manifesto with which he has little in common ground personally, does he REALLY believe it?

Trident Jeremy?

His manifesto is great,He is going to give NHS,Schools,Young ,Students,Old ,poor, Police,Army. basically everyone everything they want...and he`s only wanting the top 5% to pay a little bit more.

Surely no one can not vote for Jeremy................................................................................Or might there be a slight problem with where the billions will appear from????????

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The empty goal scored by Rudd, not a particularly popular person, when she highlighted the squabbling and internal arguement amongst the other panellists, very succinct I thought.

Of course they were squabbling! It was a debate. That's what you do in a debate. If they were governing they wouldn't be doing so seven to a room in front of an audience with a moderator and votes to win. They'd have to come to a decision to move whatever issue it was on.

Also absolutely no guarantee that all of them would be involved in a coalition if we end up with a hung parliament. Could just as easily be the Tories and DUP. It just won't be UKIP as they won't have any MPs with that f***wit in charge.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Anyway we should all stop arguing, we're all f***ed (if you work) whoever ends up in charge of us!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Is last night's You Gov ultimately a scare tactic to get the complacent Tory voters to the polling stations?

And I wonder whether The Sun will come up with comparable front page next Thursday to the 1992 Last one to leave Britain switch the light off?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Anyway we should all stop arguing, we're all f***ed (if you work) whoever ends up in charge of us!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I'm not. I'm going to move to Costa Rica and manufacture fair trade coffee and artisan beard products for direct export to Grimsby which I'm reliably informed is the next up and coming hipster centre. What could possibly go wrong?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Is last night's You Gov ultimately a scare tactic to get the complacent Tory voters to the polling stations?

And I wonder whether The Sun will come up with comparable front page next Thursday to the 1992 Last one to leave Britain switch the light off?

I'm sure the government's friends have plenty enough up their sleeves to win this which I why I said to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I'd wear a Palace shirt if Corbyn became PM this time round. What I would say to anyone, no matter how they're voting, is which Theresa May would you have preferred to turn up in Brussels; the pre election call version who still had a modicum of authority or the one who's been put through the wringer by a Hamas supporting sociology professor with Diane Abbot on his front bench?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not. I'm going to move to Costa Rica and manufacture fair trade coffee and artisan beard products for direct export to Grimsby which I'm reliably informed is the next up and coming hipster centre. What could possibly go wrong?
3fe94715070fd3717ddbb8d9920e6b4c.jpg

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
....is which Theresa May would you have preferred to turn up in Brussels; the pre election call version who still had a modicum of authority or the one who's been put through the wringer....

This echos my feeling. May called an election, made it all about her, increase her mandate, make her stronger, etc. etc. The reality is that a vote for May now is probably not a vote for May. She can't survive this debacle. If she hangs on then the Europeans will massacre her, seeing her for the weak blowhard she is but far more likely is that her own party will turn on her and she'll be gone, replaced with who knows what new horror. Boris, Gove, Davis, Fox, Rudd? None of whom inspire great confidence in me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here