Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anything that upsets the Mail is good with me :)
I just think the neutrals were swayed. Maybe that would account for the laughing at Elmer Thudd.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
May to be PM shortening again on Betfair at 1.19/1.20.

Managed to back some more at 1.22 and laid off for 1.19.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
SNP - Left
Labour - Left
Green - Left
Plaid Cymru - Left
UKIP - fascists
Conservatives - Right
Lib Dem - Left

Maybe it would have helped if the Prime Minister had turned up? Maybe she'd have been cheered by the Conservatives in the room?

The Tories are also so defensive at the moment that actually Rudd had nothing positive, or cheer worthy if you will, to say?

Took no notice when you put fascists down for UKIP. Try taking a look at some of the can.didates for ukip, might give you a bit of knowledge

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Except its incorrect, the national debt has risen but the deficit has greatly decreased.

Indeed. The "deficit keeps growing" crowd are clearly just repeating, parrot-fashion something that someone, presumably with Labour affiliation, once said and/or they just don't understand what they're talking about.

Maybe a pretty picture will help them:

b54776ef290c44b34ff4f5844f2bc623.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
firstly, deficit has fallen all along (debt is growing). secondly Corbyn is taking from businesses to fund tuition fees, raising some billions from >80k , tax avoidance and financial transactions (which we'll pay through pensions) to fund a handful of key pledges. when the revenue doesnt materialise, or they change the pledges (bringing forward free tuition a year), or offer another billion to a worthy service, the short fall will be in borrowed. so that deficit will certainly start to grow.

Yes sorry, the deficit continues to fall despite repeated promises it would be in surplus. The debt continues to rise, and the interest on that debt continues to be added to the deficit.

Proving my language wrong on deficit / debt doesn't change the fact the policies have failed economically and we still continue to fail to pay anything off the debt.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
SNP - Left
Labour - Left
Green - Left
Plaid Cymru - Left
UKIP - fascists
Conservatives - Right
Lib Dem - Left

Maybe it would have helped if the Prime Minister had turned up? Maybe she'd have been cheered by the Conservatives in the room?

The Tories are also so defensive at the moment that actually Rudd had nothing positive, or cheer worthy if you will, to say?

Edit: that BBC article says that, I should be a journo.

Why do we need cheering at all……what does this add to the debate?
I started to watch the recording of last nights debate but gave up. It was certainly a left leaning audience going by all the shouting and whooping, but I don’t have a problem with that in itself.
The MP`s were clearly playing to the crowd and it was all a bit predictable.
Why cant they go back to the old format where the audience are silent during the debate and listen to the answers. We can then get a good idea of policy rather than rhetoric.
These debates are too much like x factor now

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Indeed. The "deficit keeps growing" crowd are clearly just repeating, parrot-fashion something that someone, presumably with Labour affiliation, once said and/or they just don't understand what they're talking about.

Maybe a pretty picture will help them:

b54776ef290c44b34ff4f5844f2bc623.jpg

Even the national debt as a % of gdp, which is the only real indicator to compare year on year and decade on decade and between countries is at a level of 89% of gdp, I cannot know if that is good, bad or necessary but I can tell you that even at todays level our national debt isn't historically high for the UK or compared to many countries, less than Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Japan, Canada and the USA.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You don't half post some crap. Sebastian Payne of the Financial Times is a left wing publication!? And some random from Yorkshire. What a load of BS.

Sorry, i bow to your so superior knowledge. Your posts are always soooooo right.

YOU "Yes sorry, the deficit continues to fall despite repeated promises it would be in surplus. The debt continues to rise, and the interest on that debt continues to be added to the deficit.

Proving my language wrong on deficit / debt doesn't change the fact the policies have failed economically and we still continue to fail to pay anything off the debt. :rolleyes:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
May has a clear plan for the security of our country and the future of the navy as her answers make clear here

[tweet]870174112852975616[/tweet]

I think all the local Tories are using the same stock answers and just changing Plymouth to their area. As a variation they will say under the strong and stable leadership of Mrs May we are very clear....

Robotic idiots unable to answer a simple question

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
SNP - Left
Labour - Left
Green - Left
Plaid Cymru - Left
UKIP - fascists
Conservatives - Right
Lib Dem - Left

Edit: that BBC article says that, I should be a journo.

18881880_10209221806330129_1031561650885171247_n.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, i bow to your so superior knowledge. Your posts are always soooooo right.

YOU "Yes sorry, the deficit continues to fall despite repeated promises it would be in surplus. The debt continues to rise, and the interest on that debt continues to be added to the deficit.

Proving my language wrong on deficit / debt doesn't change the fact the policies have failed economically and we still continue to fail to pay anything off the debt. :rolleyes:

Yes, I managed to admit I got some terms wrong - try admitting you got something wrong yourself sometime, it happens enough. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes sorry, the deficit continues to fall despite repeated promises it would be in surplus. The debt continues to rise, and the interest on that debt continues to be added to the deficit.

Proving my language wrong on deficit / debt doesn't change the fact the policies have failed economically and we still continue to fail to pay anything off the debt.

Look at the graph. Do you honestly think much would have been different if a Labour (or Labour-led) government had retained power from 2010, given the position both the UK and world economies were in at the time?

In trying to deflect blame for the financial crisis, the left have repeatedly told us about it being a world economic thang and was outside their direct control. Do you think that this big external entity stopped impacting the UK economy the moment Gordon Brown exited stage left, and that it suddenly became possible to formulate economic plans that could be easily met?

Do you think Labour's manifesto plans and coatings, torn to shreds by the IFS would play out exactly as they claim? That no extra borrowing or taxation hikes would be required?

I make plans for my household and stuff crops up that impacts those plans. Fortunately Mrs Bozza is well aware that shit happens and we have to make adjustments accordingly. She doesn't keep telling me I've failed, point to our neighbours and say "I bet Aaron wouldn't have failed like you."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its not a matter of language, they are important distinctions. and what i dont understand is the language of "failed economically" when the policy of the opposition is to do the same, with more debt. why criticise the outcome of one policy when supporting a different policy with the same outcome? :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Look at the graph. Do you honestly think much would have been different if a Labour (or Labour-led) government had retained power from 2010, given the position both the UK and world economies were in at the time?

In trying to deflect blame for the financial crisis, the left have repeatedly told us about it being a world economic thang and was outside their direct control. Do you think that this big external entity stopped impacting the UK economy the moment Gordon Brown exited stage left, and that it suddenly became possible to formulate economic plans that could be easily met?

Do you think Labour's manifesto plans and coatings, torn to shreds by the IFS would play out exactly as they claim? That no extra borrowing or taxation hikes would be required?

I make plans for my household and stuff crops up that impacts those plans. Fortunately Mrs Bozza is well aware that shit happens and we have to make adjustments accordingly. She doesn't keep telling me I've failed, point to our neighbours and say "I bet Aaron wouldn't have failed like you."

Other countries recovered without recourse to as many tax breaks across various sectors. If you are clearing a debt, you of course look at your outgoings, but you also maximise your income. I don't turn away work so that I can save money cleaning my own windows when my income for that period would be greater than the cost of getting the windows cleaned.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Took no notice when you put fascists down for UKIP. Try taking a look at some of the can.didates for ukip, might give you a bit of knowledge

No need just read the UKIP Manifesto from page 32 onwards. If by some miracle (which won't happen) they formed the next Government they would achieve their aim of getting net migration down to zero due to the high increase in emigration as people rush to leave the UK to get as far away as possible from these idiots

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here