Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it was comments like this that made me think you were a Tory. What were you watching? I saw a TM that squirmed, stuttered and looked increasing uncomfortable with Paxmans questioning and as usually provided absolutely no fact. What the **** is a bad deal? No brexit deal would be calamitous for this country. I am not a big fan or JC but he was head and shoulders above TM.

Was this the 'blow-hard' Paxman interview, or one I missed, that she came across well in?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
She didn't need to call an election, she had a workable majority and the fact that she had repeated multiple times she wouldn't do so has always been baggage for her in the campaign

Think Paxman mentioned 6 times in the interview on Monday night.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Nope. You're just yet another ridiculously biased looney who is unable to ever be objective, even for an instant.

May, by her own standards, put in a good performance with Paxman and that will have helped Conservative support after a very dodgy spell indeed.
Do you really believe that?

I suppose her pathetic debate dodging today will also have persuaded a few more waverers that she is strong and stable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hung Parliament, May scratching around to form a coalition with the DUP which will be hypocritical with her words about Labour and SNP

But Mrs May wanted a healthy majority to provide the backing to ensure the best possible deal for Britain in the Brexit negotiations. So no deal then assuming she could strike a deal with the Northern Ireland MPs to stay in power.

But what fun if in 6 months time there is a falling out within the coalition and there is a need to call another General Election which stops the Brexit talks. So much for Strong and Stable Leadership.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But Mrs May wanted a healthy majority to provide the backing to ensure the best possible deal for Britain in the Brexit negotiations. So no deal then assuming she could strike a deal with the Northern Ireland MPs to stay in power.

But what fun if in 6 months time there is a falling out within the coalition and there is a need to call another General Election which stops the Brexit talks. So much for Strong and Stable Leadership.

Unlikely to be anything other than a healthy Tory majority as things stand.

Seems the damage done by [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and his types undermining Corbyn gave Labour too much to do, even in the face of a disastrous Conservative campaign.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hung Parliament, May scratching around to form a coalition with the DUP which will be hypocritical with her words about Labour and SNP

There's an article I read earlier here on Northern Ireland - http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...art-paying-attention-northern-irelands-18-mps

If, and it is a very big if, that YouGov Poll was correct, she wouldn't actually have the numbers to form a majority coalition with just The DUP, she'd need The Lib Dems as well. :rotlf:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think it was comments like this that made me think you were a Tory. What were you watching? I saw a TM that squirmed, stuttered and looked increasing uncomfortable with Paxmans questioning and as usually provided absolutely no fact. What the **** is a bad deal? No brexit deal would be calamitous for this country. I am not a big fan or JC but he was head and shoulders above TM.

The only way a no deal will work is if we just stay as we are and remain in the EU, until a better deal comes along.

Its a non option, the Tories know it and just playing hard ball, its 27 against 1 they have to.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes I am being facetious, you probably wont need to stock up on the bottled water.

However we are supposed to accept at face value that she is 'strong and stable' and a 'bloody difficult woman' who is 'best placed to lead the Brexit negotiations' and yet wont enter a debate with the above motley crew of supposed political light weights.

What is worse than a non appearance is May putting someone else in as a standard in. Anything less than a Corbyn meltdown this evening is a disaster for her.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Unlikely to be anything other than a healthy Tory majority as things stand.

Seems the damage done by [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] and his types undermining Corbyn gave Labour too much to do, even in the face of a disastrous Conservative campaign.

Possibly but May is dead in the water now. She'll never recover from this shambles and as soon as the election is over her own party will be circling like sharks.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
May says that instead of taking part in the televised debate, she is engaging with real voters, not squabbling politicians.
I will watch the debate tonight because it is the closest i personally will get to any of the party leaders, cos, none of them come to Sunny Worthing, and if it wasn't for the debates, I wouldn't see or hear any of them. I imagine the same goes for the majority of the electorate, so, May really isn't serving our democracy at all, by nit taking part.

Makes me wonder just how scared she is.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I still cannot understand why so much delight is being taken from May's awful campaign when ultimately we'll all pay when Brexit negs shaft us left right and centre with a possible hung parliament.

Concerned of Sussex

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I still cannot understand why so much delight is being taken from May's awful campaign when ultimately we'll all pay when Brexit negs shaft us left right and centre with a possible hung parliament.

Concerned of Sussex

For me personally, I voted remain, and I am left of centre by instinct.I will not change my GE vote, just to give whoever negotiates Brexit a (debatable) stronger hand, to debate something I don't agree with, anyway.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For me personally, I voted remain, and I am left of centre by instinct.I will not change my GE vote, just to give whoever negotiates Brexit a (debatable) stronger hand, to debate something I don't agree with, anyway.

Absolutely, and rightly so. However, voted out the nation did, and so make the best of a bad situation must be the way ahead. No need to make things worse.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I seem to remember many on here suggesting the last coalition would fall apart within 6 months to a year, this board is not a useful measure to how the real world out there feel I promise you!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Absolutely, and rightly so. However, voted out the nation did, and so make the best of a bad situation must be the way ahead. No need to make things worse.

To my mind, the leave vote was potentially the worst decision this country has ever made,and, some of those that voted leave, voted for purely selfish reasons,so, to now come to those of us opposed to the outcome of the referendum, and , appeal to us for unity with a right wing Government, for the sake of a'good deal' , well, I admire their nerve.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I find it quite funny how every conservative sign I've seen up has been vandalised 😂

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here