Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I believe that May will increase her majority but if she doesn't what happens then? Will she stand down? With a very similar majority she would be a lot weaker.

If she did stand down, who next? Boris? And then another general election?

I really hopes she gets a landslide so this nonsense doesn't drag on forever.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Currently No.7 in The UK Official Charts - All proceeds will be split between food banks around the UK and The People’s Assembly Against Austerity.

The same song they did in 2010 has a bit of a better video, More Nick Clegg and Osborne based

Their 2015 version is a bit more Farage

keep on plugging i suppose if you want a No.1

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't think I can do the multi quotes thing on my phone but there's something that resonates in some of those recent posts re changing minds, leaders & prospective jobs.

The cynic in me now knows that May couldn't campaign for half price sweets in a house full of children. She's called the election now because to leave it till 2020 might have seen her having to defend an unpopular Brexit deal with zero debating skills. She thought Labour were mortally wounded and went for it, even though this takes time off the Brexit deal timetable.

Corbyn, on the other hand has lost none of the things I most dislike. The IRA links, Abbot on the team & a dreadful prospective chancellor. But he's got rid of my thought that he personally can't lead. He's kept his hands on power & his quietly authoritative style and compromised, popularist policies have been the polar opposite of Maybot.

Unfortunately this looks like it all might be heading for status quo. Small Tory majority, Abbot and McDonald still in jobs, Brexit on a smaller timetable & May free to reign until 2022. Ugh,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is a little bit of me thinking if she just wins this election it would be nice watching the Europeans rip her to bits in talks..........but unfortunately it will be to the detriment of the British people .......................then we will find out just how strong and stable she is

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I believe that May will increase her majority but if she doesn't what happens then? Will she stand down? With a very similar majority she would be a lot weaker.

If she did stand down, who next? Boris? And then another general election?

I really hopes she gets a landslide so this nonsense doesn't drag on forever.

I've moved to hoping for a hung parliament. None of them deserve outright victory & Brexit might mean they actually have to work together. A non-partisan Brexit might just be the best thing to come out of all this

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The same song they did in 2010 has a bit of a better video, More Nick Clegg and Osborne based

Their 2015 version is a bit more Farage

keep on plugging i suppose if you want a No.1

I was wondering who'd bring up the fact it was re-release from previous years, as is common knowledge - you didn't disappoint. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
it may have been my post you are referring to, if so then I will try and show you my thinking.. Despite what the Labour Party and their friends would now have us believe, at the time Corbyn was a minor MP with no clout at all. He was a bit of a nuisance to the party. He didn't just meet the leaders of Sinn Fein, (McGuiness and Adams), he attended vigils, took part in minute silences, campaigned for special IRA prisoner treatment,campaigned outside courts etc. He was not part of any behind the doors meetings to resolve the "troubles". It has taken him until just this past week, despite being asked repeatedly to do so for the past few years, to denounce IRA activities specifically. This to me raises serious concerns over his statements that he had no sympathies towards the vile movement. (see also Dianne Abbotts interview this past weekend for more of the same). Now, as for his stand on defence, he is the Vice President of an organisation committed to getting rid of NATO, Nuclear Weapons , Nuclear power, and also reducing the defence forces. Despite it being a manifesto pledge to keep Trident, it will be included in the defence review, and there is no point reviewing something if you have no intention of scrapping it. So that is why I have as much difficulty with his defence credentials as with his stance on the IRA .
I know others have different views, but personally I can not trust him , his front bench team cant even agree on what is or isn't included in the review.

Defence will always be my number 1 issue in an election, but I also have concerns about his BREXIT strategy (he doesn't seem to have one, and is promising to give away a lot of concessions (eu residential rights for example) before they even start talking!

He has some good policies. BUT he has some right stinkers (renationalisation , give everything free to everyone) , unfortunately the stinkers are deal breakers for a lot of people

Not sure that is true. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-ira-violence-1994-general-election-a7761801.html?cmpid=facebook-post The press are doing a fine job on this in particular.

If defence is your no.1 priority then you we are witnessing a government happy to take our defence spending as a percentage of GDP (the nato measure) at the lowest levels since WWII and beyond. The only detail we have on the Conservatives Brexit strategy is 'that they have one', not that they'll tell us what it is just yet.

The stinkers as you put it have seemingly halved the Tory lead, in an election they were starting off hoping for a 150+ seat majority. It seems people are listening, and the Tory strategy of 'strong and stable - discredit Corbyn' is backfiring as they realise they need to actually give people more detail and not treat this as a foregone conclusion. So far Project Fear v2.0 doesn't appear to be working.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yup. And McDonnell the Marxist at number 11. You're a classics man, [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION]. How would you describe that triumvirate?

Bit like Titus Flavius Domitian and his crew...although I am not sure Abbott has recommended bumping off people who don't agree with her...yet!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've moved to hoping for a hung parliament. None of them deserve outright victory & Brexit might mean they actually have to work together. A non-partisan Brexit might just be the best thing to come out of all this

A hung parliament would be a total disaster for the country. Total uncertainty. A probable new general election within a year. Nothing could be worse than that.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was wondering who'd bring up the fact it was re-release from previous years, as is common knowledge - you didn't disappoint. :thumbsup:

ssshhh i dont think the virtue signalling kids downloading it know its a re-release.
Dont ruin their fun.......you going to tell them there is no santa next?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
And if you ever raise the face of the debate above absurd whataboutery then I too would admire you equally.

There's that sharp whit I've come to admire. May I congratulate on your spectacularly immature tag line :thumbsup:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
ssshhh i dont think the virtue signalling kids downloading it know its a re-release.
Dont ruin their fun.......you going to tell them there is no santa next?

I'm not. I just hope for you the more than 1 million of them who've registered to vote since the election was called don't turn out to vote again - they might vote the wrong way if they did.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Crikey. You really are as thick as they say.

You can have an opinion on those issues. You can have a hope what will happen. But you didn't vote FOR that because we don't know what will happen. The referendum was simple. IN or OUT.

It did not say anything about what would happen with these issues:

ECJ
Customs Union
Single Market
Free Movement
Parliamentary Sovereignty

You are a moron if you believe otherwise. Jeez Louise.

You really don’t have to convince me, I agree with you fully that you personally didn’t know what you were voting for.You have confirmed this by stating for you it was simply IN or OUT and there was no other information about the consequences of your vote.You ticked IN not knowing how it affected those 5 main areas. I wish I could be that simple but I cant, I knew fully what I was voting for.Considering you had other noteworthy clangers like there will be a second referendum in a couple of months and the economy is crashing (when it wasn’t) it would be a bit harsh to be too hard on you. You simply are not cut out for this type of thing.

D

Deleted member 2719

Seeing as they nearly killed him, killed some of his closest friends and put his wife in a wheelchair, I think he's entitled to rant a little about the IRA.

I can not believe anyone from the Brighton and Hove area would even think of for voting Corbyn.

Short memories or to young understand.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whit?

Congratulate me sarcastically all you like matey. I won't be doing any soul-searching just because you and Nibble/The Clamp don't much like me.

Blasted phone. Well that's all but ruined my post. I of course meant wit. But as you asked so nicely, whit means a small amount.

For what it's worth I hold no animosity towards you. Disagreeing is part of life :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You really don’t have to convince me, I agree with you fully that you personally didn’t know what you were voting for.You have confirmed this by stating for you it was simply IN or OUT and there was no other information about the consequences of your vote.You ticked IN not knowing how it affected those 5 main areas. I wish I could be that simple but I cant, I knew fully what I was voting for.Considering you had other noteworthy clangers like there will be a second referendum in a couple of months and the economy is crashing (when it wasn’t) it would be a bit harsh to be too hard on you. You simply are not cut out for this type of thing.

Precisely. I'm not sure how someone can say that the referendum didn't mention Parliamentary Sovereignty when it's fundamentally implicit within the vote. Remain in the EU = UK subject to EU law and those EU laws and courts having supremacy over UK-made law. It's the main reason why I voted to leave the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here