Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With the move to include the value of the home if you need to have home care when you are elderly, I can see a rush to place homes into trust going forward so that the full value is ring fenced.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With the move to include the value of the home if you need to have home care when you are elderly, I can see a rush to place homes into trust going forward so that the full value is ring fenced.

It's easily avoided. Get the elderly homeowner in question to gift it as a life transfer in their will and then as long as they pay a market rent and survive for longer than 7 years then the transfer would be tax-free and the property outside the scope of this new rule. The cost of the market rent can be offset against any old spurious service provided by the elderly person for the landlord.*

*This is not tax advice. Just speculating how in theory a family might circumvent the rules.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
2hex6x2.jpg

https://antisemitism.uk/jeremy-corb...d-imsweatingmorethan-a-jew-at-a-cash-machine/

The fact that you are using a thread about the Tory manifesto to sling mud at Labour and Corbyn rather than discuss the wonderful policies we should be voting for says it all.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The fact that you are using a thread about the Tory manifesto to sling mud at Labour and Corbyn rather than discuss the wonderful policies we should be voting for says it all.

I'm not sure it says it all but it certainly says that Labour Party supporters who are implying that the Tories are racist might want to consider their own party's track record.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
"We will increase the earnings thresholds for people wishing to sponsor migrants for family visas."

Got to be tougher on immigration then even if it means separating more families. There's always Skype I suppose.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In the 80's at was Thatcher the milk snatcher, now May the lunch snatcher

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/18/tories-to-scrap-free-hot-school-meals-for-children-6645181/

But they are giving free breakfasts, better kids go hungry in the afternoon instead

View attachment 85572

dont think you or Jamie have read the policy. its lunch for some (under 7s) replaced by breakfast for all. can debate merits of free breakfast vs free lunch, if you have the right information. personally i see lunch provides more than just food, a lot of interaction and trying different foods for a lot of children.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
You appear to sympathise with an organisation that murdered Irish people. It's history​. 30 years ago!

Around the time we had 3.5 million unemployed under the Tories, by the way.

So you're saying that the Conservative Party is a terrorist organisation just like the IRA then?
What an utterly ridiculous thing to say!
And can't believe how disgraceful it is for someone to justify the actions of a murdering terrorist organisation with such a pathetic retort.
Just as disgraceful as Tony Blair issuing pardons to murdering terrorists.
But hey, must be a Labour thing????

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
So you're saying that the Conservative Party is a terrorist organisation just like the IRA then?
What an utterly ridiculous thing to say!
And can't believe how disgraceful it is for someone to justify the actions of a murdering terrorist organisation with such a pathetic retort.
But hey, must be a Labour thing????
No, the British government has murdered Irish people. For hundreds of years.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the pardoning of terrorists, it was part of a process that has brought much greater peace and stability to Ireland.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
You appear to sympathise with an organisation that murdered Irish people. It's history​. 30 years ago!

And what the hell does unemployment at any time have to do with this argument about Corbyn's 'support' for a terrorist organisation who murders British soldiers and bombs civilians including a hotel in our town??

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Just out of curiosity, how far back should I go when holding politicians to account for their words and actions? It strikes me as a little odd that I'm not supposed to judge a very current politician such as Corbyn for supporting terrorists who killed British men, women and children because it was years ago but it's okay still to hate the Tories because of reference to Thatcher's government, as many have done.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
New Labour (Tory) gave the country:

Unregulated soft touch supervision of the City leading to the Banking Crisis.

Either it was unregulated or it was soft touch supervision, can't be both. Also, exactly how different would it have been had the Tories been in power, the Tories who wanted even less regulation?

Where is the evidence that the UK government.s 'soft touch' supervision caused the global crisis?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Just out of curiosity, how far back should I go when holding politicians to account for their words and actions? It strikes me as a little odd that I'm not supposed to judge a very current politician such as Corbyn for supporting terrorists who killed British men, women and children because it was years ago but it's okay still to hate the Tories because of reference to Thatcher's government, as many have done.
Who said you weren't supposed to judge? From what I have read I don't believe Corbyn supported the IRA, and I think he himself has made that clear. He spoke to them openly. At the same period, Margaret Thatcher and later John Major negotiated with them secretly, while publicly saying they would not negotiate with terrorists. No one accuses them of "supporting the IRA" though. That would be absurd.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Either it was unregulated or it was soft touch supervision, can't be both. Also, exactly how different would it have been had the Tories been in power, the Tories who wanted even less regulation?

Where is the evidence that the UK government.s 'soft touch' supervision caused the global crisis?

There's no evidence that the UK government caused the global crisis but there's an FSA report headed by Lord Turner in 2011, that put the blame for the RBS failure squarely at the door of 'light touch regulation' by the Labour government.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Other_publications/Miscellaneous/2011/rbs.shtml

You're right that the RBS failure probably would have happened under a Tory government also but that's all so much speculation. It happened under Labour's watch and the conclusion from the Financial Services Authority is as I've already mentioned.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What a daft comment. You make it sound like he arbitrarily pardoned them rather than it being part of the negotiations for a peace settlement. Would you prefer there was no agreement and we could have had another 20 years of bombings etc etc. It might be unpalatable but may have been part of the process that moved things forward.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Who said you weren't supposed to judge? From what I have read I don't believe Corbyn supported the IRA, and I think he himself has made that clear. He spoke to them openly. At the same period, Margaret Thatcher and later John Major negotiated with them secretly, while publicly saying they would not negotiate with terrorists. No one accuses them of "supporting the IRA" though. That would be absurd.

I accuse him of supporting the IRA and I don't think it's absurd. I've been through the reasons for that and why I don't think you can compare his dialogue with the IRA to Major or Thatcher lots of times on here so I'm reluctant to go through it again but suffice to say, I think he did support them both in words and deeds.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I accuse him of supporting the IRA and I don't think it's absurd. I've been through the reasons for that and why I don't think you can compare his dialogue with the IRA to Major or Thatcher lots of times on here so I'm reluctant to go through it again but suffice to say, I think he did support them both in words and deeds.
Until recently, I didn't even know he had talked to them, in fact until relatively recently I'd never even heard of Corbyn. So I guess you know more about it than I do. It's something I guess I'll have to look into. If I get time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's no evidence that the UK government caused the global crisis but there's an FSA report headed by Lord Turner in 2011, that put the blame for the RBS failure squarely at the door of 'light touch regulation' by the Labour government.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Other_publications/Miscellaneous/2011/rbs.shtml

You're right that the RBS failure probably would have happened under a Tory government also but that's all so much speculation. It happened under Labour's watch and the conclusion from the Financial Services Authority is as I've already mentioned.

Is that the same Lord Turner who was head of the FSA and defended the actions of that regulatory organisation (prior to his appointment) in the run up to the crisis? The same Lord Turner who advocated joining the Euro.

Also, the report that I've seen criticizes the level of regulation but seems more to blame the decisions made by the bank itself!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Until recently, I didn't even know he had talked to them, in fact until relatively recently I'd never even heard of Corbyn. So I guess you know more about it than I do. It's something I guess I'll have to look into. If I get time.

Fair enough. Just to say that I do try to be consistent. I also would never support David Davis because of his strong support for Section 28 back in the 80s and 90s.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And what the hell does unemployment at any time have to do with this argument about Corbyn's 'support' for a terrorist organisation who murders British soldiers and bombs civilians including a hotel in our town??

Highlighted for those who have either forgotten or never been taught.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here