Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Ive just read. Like you i dont accept that labour is a working mans party, that is the politics of 40 - 50- 60 years ago.

Sadly it is. I work with a chap from Blackburn, i asked why do people keep voting Labour up there, he admitted that they just do but in reality Labour have not done them much good over the years.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Sadly it is. I work with a chap from Blackburn, i asked why do people keep voting Labour up there, he admitted that they just do but in reality Labour have not done them much good over the years.

PR would make parties more focused i believe and would be closer to what at least i consider to be true democracy

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
One things for sure, it'll be back to the two-horse race. Lib Dems will be back to their traditional single figure share of the vote. How many of their well-meaning supporters will trust them ever again? And these people are hardly likely to drift to the right, which is all good news for Labour.

:lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
PR would make parties more focused i believe and would be closer to what at least i consider to be true democracy

It would certainly change things dramatically. Even after the complete collapse of the LibDem vote, more people voted for Labour or LibDem, than voted Conservative in this election.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It would certainly change things dramatically. Even after the complete collapse of the LibDem vote, more people voted for Labour or LibDem, than voted Conservative in this election.

Labour and Liberal combined? That is true. But yes it would change it and i am behind that regardless of how it falls, i think it has to be right that every vote counts

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Perhaps you could remind us why the meany selfish spiteful vindictive tories failed to win an outright majority at the last election when they were up against Labour who had the misfortune of being on watch during the 'global' financial crisis but were led by Brown who was probably the most unpopular leader of recent times. Intelligent he may have been but he was not a great leader. And still Cameron didn't win!

But he's won now. And almost unheard of, for the (main) governing party to gain seats.

As for unlucky New Labour happening to be on watch, by 2008 that government was on a vast, over-borrowed money, spending spree, and add the huge off balance sheet debt of PFI/PPP deals signed-off by New Labour. All giving the UK a vast debts base when the crisis came. New Labour also gave their new friends the banks 'light touch' supervision, since much regretted and now reversed, which led to reckless lending and rigging of markets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good thread, Next time I'm up in 1901 I'll look out for red tie & handkerchief ensemble and send one over...

I wear McQueen darling :wink:

I'll be waiting!

larus

Add the 13% of the xenophobic, racist, extreme right UKIP voters to us selfish, greedy, anti-society Tories, and you have 50% of the national vote. That's including NI where there are no Tories, and Scotland which is very left wing.

So, the reality is, in Engkand, the percentage who are anti left wing is over 50%. That's also assuming that all LibDems would sway allegiance to labour, which is very questionable.

Factor in boundary changes to fairer constituency sizes, then labour could be struggling.

waldegrave

Jan 3, 2014
I gather Charlotte Church is a pop singer of considerable success. Like many people with plenty of money and little intellect she seems to believe welfare is a damn good thing. How sweet. How caring. And relieves her of any responsibility of putting up at her house, any of the poor for whom, evidently, she has so much concern. Well, perhaps its a very small house.
In any event what the pop singers of the world might want to consider, is not how to best throw someone else's money at the problem, but instead how to effectively reduce it. But then again that might take effort, brains, dedication and yet produce only minimal publicity.
Nice rack though.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
But he's won now. And almost unheard of, for the (main) governing party to gain seats.

As for unlucky New Labour happening to be on watch, by 2008 that government was on a vast, over-borrowed money, spending spree, and add the huge off balance sheet debt of PFI/PPP deals signed-off by New Labour. All giving the UK a vast debts base when the crisis came. New Labour also gave their new friends the banks 'light touch' supervision, since much regretted and now reversed, which led to reckless lending and rigging of markets.

A spending spree George Osborne pledged to match in 2007 when the Conservatives were also advocating less bank regulation not more - but go on. You are restating the case that helped many people decide how to vote. And you are right he has won now.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
In terms of 'biting', I think it's reasonable to expect a return of fox hunting. Trying to explain to your kids why you voted for the return of bunch of toffs charging around the countryside with saliva dripping from their gluttonous mouths as they watch another poor beast being ripped to pieces by a pack of brutally treated dogs could be tricky?
I don't agree with Fox Hunting as a sport...but when working on a farm I saw a fox kill...no tear to pieces two baby lambs...and not to eat either...also saw a fox kill a lot of chickens...on the farm we used to find the cubby hole and gas them.

D

Deleted member 22389

Next time Labour listen to the people on the doorstep and stop sweeping issues underneath the carpet. Labour got what they deserved and good riddance.
And Mr Ummuna, next time you slag off UKIP voters, work out that quite a few of these voters used to vote for your party.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I wrote my thoughts on this in the middle of the night...

The outspoken intellectual snobbery that comes from some (note: not all) on the left seeks to sneer at those who vote Tory. They try to paint Tory voters as stupid, nasty, selfish and/or meek sheep of billionaire media magnates. Voting Tory is presented as being unfashionable.

Beyond that, those who outwardly display Tory intentions with a board in their garden face the likelihood that it will be removed or damaged and, possibly, receive some vandalism to their property too. At the extreme end of this we saw the Conservative candidate in one of the Bristol constituency receive pretty severe damage to both her car and that of her parents.

Because of this I think that in this election at least we have seen a growing number of Tory voters keeping quiet about their intentions until they were faced with their ballot paper.
Spot on sir, though I think the snobbery in a lot of cases is far from intellectual.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
As the search function won't locate the post I made quite a while ago I have to wing it and hope I've got the details right. I made a £20 charity bet with [MENTION=13022]Brighton4Cambridge3[/MENTION] that Nasty Nick would lose his seat in Sheffield Hallam. I lost. REMF is the beneficiary of a £20 donation plus £5 Gift Aid. The donation reference is D71609789.

Good man! Fair play to you - much rather the money is going to a great cause than to myself.

As for the election result, what can I say but wow!! This last two weeks I have been travelling up and down the country to key marginal seats where the Tories needed to hold - another four battlebuses went to other places - targeting seats we needed to win.

I knocked on hundreds of doors, and our team was having over a thousand conversations a day, lifelong Labour voters were coming across and UKIP voters realised that their vote mattered and voted Conservative.

Three highlights for me - Amber Valley - where Nigel Mills (Candy Crush) was attempting to hold, and managed to increase his majority to 4,500 and increase his share of the vote! When talking to people the message really was getting across.

Second for me was Erewash where we had a new candidate, Maggie Throup after Jessica Lee stood down; to increase the majority with no incumbent was marvellous, Maggis is a wonderful women and will be a great MP.

Third for me was Lincoln, defending a thousand majority with charismatic MP Karl McCartney, here a lot of people we met considered voting UKIP, and although it was at 5,000, Karl's majority went up and this was despite Labour parachuting in a 'star' candidate Lucy Rugby. Here I saw people voting for the Tories who never had done so before.

Spent election night in and around Whitehall celebrating, bumping into some friends around Westminster and being interfered for foreign TV. Managed to get to bed around midday Friday, I was overtired having travelled all over, but it was worth it. Just speaking to hundreds of people about politics about the normal issues which affect them and what we can do to improve their lives . Only one person was nasty and the campaign on the ground was great - well oiled and targeted, the Labour Party did not have a response in a lot of the key marginals and there is a new wave of Conservatism!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Good man! Fair play to you - much rather the money is going to a great cause than to myself.

As for the election result, what can I say but wow!! This last two weeks I have been travelling up and down the country to key marginal seats where the Tories needed to hold - another four battlebuses went to other places - targeting seats we needed to win.

I knocked on hundreds of doors, and our team was having over a thousand conversations a day, lifelong Labour voters were coming across and UKIP voters realised that their vote mattered and voted Conservative.

Three highlights for me - Amber Valley - where Nigel Mills (Candy Crush) was attempting to hold, and managed to increase his majority to 4,500 and increase his share of the vote! When talking to people the message really was getting across.

Second for me was Erewash where we had a new candidate, Maggie Throup after Jessica Lee stood down; to increase the majority with no incumbent was marvellous, Maggis is a wonderful women and will be a great MP.

Third for me was Lincoln, defending a thousand majority with charismatic MP Karl McCartney, here a lot of people we met considered voting UKIP, and although it was at 5,000, Karl's majority went up and this was despite Labour parachuting in a 'star' candidate Lucy Rugby. Here I saw people voting for the Tories who never had done so before.

Spent election night in and around Whitehall celebrating, bumping into some friends around Westminster and being interfered for foreign TV. Managed to get to bed around midday Friday, I was overtired having travelled all over, but it was worth it. Just speaking to hundreds of people about politics about the normal issues which affect them and what we can do to improve their lives . Only one person was nasty and the campaign on the ground was great - well oiled and targeted, the Labour Party did not have a response in a lot of the key marginals and there is a new wave of Conservatism!

Wow, what do you do for the Conservative Party?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Next time Labour listen to the people on the doorstep and stop sweeping issues underneath the carpet. Labour got what they deserved and good riddance.
And Mr Ummuna, next time you slag off UKIP voters, work out that quite a few of these voters used to vote for your party.

Labour lost because they didn't listen. They may not like immigration being one of the main concerns but it was but they only started discussing it late in the day. Likewise the EU referendum - lots of people want a say on the EU ( on both sides of the argument ) yet even on last nights Question Time, Alistair Campbell was STILL saying people shouldn't be allowed a democratic say on it. Until Labour face up to the issues people have and actually tackle them, they face many years in the wilderness.

D

Deleted member 22389

Labour lost because they didn't listen. They may not like immigration being one of the main concerns but it was but they only started discussing it late in the day. Likewise the EU referendum - lots of people want a say on the EU ( on both sides of the argument ) yet even on last nights Question Time, Alistair Campbell was STILL saying people shouldn't be allowed a democratic say on it. Until Labour face up to the issues people have and actually tackle them, they face many years in the wilderness.

I feel asleep when QT was on, but for Alistair Campbell to say that is exactly the reasons why I stopped voting for Labour. How hard can it be. I was listening to LBC yesterday, they had someone on from the Labour party called John Mann. He made a point of the class division that now exists within the Labour party, your Millibands, Chukkas who just can't cut through to normal hard working people anymore, and appointing someone that normal hard working people can relate too again.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A spending spree George Osborne pledged to match in 2007 when the Conservatives were also advocating less bank regulation not more - but go on. You are restating the case that helped many people decide how to vote. And you are right he has won now.
And the conservatives would maybe have been even more lax on the banking sector leading to even more problems. And they would have rightly carried the can and received blame, just as any incumbent party would. I don't get why it somehow doesn't count because it was labour in power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here