Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Its a valid argument that Labour tax and spend too much, I'm not sure if they do though, or what the correct or best level of taxation and spending is. However I think this is a matter for debate and is a grey area with no right answer.

However to me it is clear that a Tory government has as its primary underlying ethos one of benefiting the already very rich, at the expense of the vast majority and the rest of the population. Again I'm not saying that's all they are about, they wouldn't get elected if they were, but that's effectively what we get.

Why people are prepared to get something the tories offer at the expense of everything else they do and don't do baffles me!

And Major thinks the opposite about Labour

"After the election, either the Conservative party or Labour will form – or at least lead – the new government. We need a government that can reach out to every part of our country. And Labour can’t do that.

I know Labour. I grew up with them. I admire their virtues. But Labour is a class-based Party. It was born so and remains so. It’s in its DNA. Labour divides to rule. To win votes, they will turn rich against poor. North against South. Worker against boss. They have done this before. And they are doing it now. But it is emphatically not what this country needs. We need to bring people together, not create chasms to prise us apart.

The enduring characteristic of the British is fairness and generosity of spirit. I believe people will turn away from Labour’s politics of social division. It has no place in a mature State. "

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
They want to scrap Trident

They want more funding for Scotland

They want to break up the UK

They want push spending through the roof

Not the devil incarnate but all very good reasons not to want them in a position of influence on the UK government.

And when have the Tories "bigged up" the SNP?

They want to scrap trident but there are enough MPs that dont

They want more funding for Scotland, hardly a heinous crime given they currently run Scotland

As for spending, I think the 21bn additional spending promised by the tories and their magic money tree may be as damaging

As for breaking up the union, as I said, the tories have done a great job in furthering their cause with the language used this last two weeks.

Just like ukip, if they receive votes you cannot deny them influence

I'm not saying they're benign puppies but you can't talk them up as tories in Scotland have done since January and in the spin rooms at debates, and via their friendly press (read what sun in Scotland says about the snp) and then panic when it's a bit too successful

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
See the link above from a Tory peer...

Forsyth claimed the Tories were partly responsible for the rise of the SNP after helping to prop up Alex Salmond’s minority government from 2007 to 2011, a move that gave Tory voters “permission” to support the SNP to keep out Labour.

spot on very clever man our david .......................watch out for the knives when you lose

albion1972

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Both Labour and Tories are the same. Labour used to be the party for the working class but Tony Blair ruined that. Labour front bench is full of multi millonares who have never done a real hard days work in their life. The last true Labour man Alan Johnson was forced out.
Tories are just out for the middle and upper class and dont give a stuff about the lower classes.

Its the biggest con ever !!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Johnson forced out? I suppose so if you think that resigning because a murdoch newspaper is about to run a story about your missus snagging your protection officer.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Amazing Speech today by Major, very passionate - Tories need more people like him.

Was a privalage to be there.

As i saw somewhere on twitter, William Hague (24 hours to save the pound quote in 2002) and john major (72 hours to save the union in 1997) wheeled out to help Cameron (2 weeks to save my sorry arse)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Both Labour and Tories are the same. Labour used to be the party for the working class but Tony Blair ruined that. Labour front bench is full of multi millonares who have never done a real hard days work in their life. The last true Labour man Alan Johnson was forced out.
Tories are just out for the middle and upper class and dont give a stuff about the lower classes.

Its the biggest con ever !!

In reality the only party that represents the working class nowadays are the Greens

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They'll revalue every home in the south. Last time they were in power that was their preferred choice of tax and it'll be the same this time as well.
They also have another tax they like to raise once they get into power - VAT

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

"After the election, either the Conservative party or Labour will form – or at least lead – the new government. We need a government that can reach out to every part of our country. And Labour can’t do that.

I know Labour. I grew up with them. I admire their virtues. But Labour is a class-based Party. It was born so and remains so. It’s in its DNA. Labour divides to rule. To win votes, they will turn rich against poor. North against South. Worker against boss. They have done this before. And they are doing it now. But it is emphatically not what this country needs. We need to bring people together, not create chasms to prise us apart.

The enduring characteristic of the British is fairness and generosity of spirit. I believe people will turn away from Labour’s politics of social division. It has no place in a mature State. "
Does he think there were no social divisions before the Labour party? Sounds like he thinks the working class should know their place. The Tories are just as much class based, just a different class.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
As i saw somewhere on twitter, William Hague (24 hours to save the pound quote in 2002) and john major (72 hours to save the union in 1997) wheeled out to help Cameron (2 weeks to save my sorry arse)

Major speaks from the heart, a working class boy who came from nothing - he engages the electorate in a way lots of Tories cant now. There needs to be a new 'him'.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
It's a shame Cameron is not up in Scotland campaigning in support of Tory candidates up there rather than sniping from down here. If I was a Scot who'd voted against independence, I'd be thinking maybe I made the wrong decision, as the PM is going on incessantly how terrible it would be for the rest of the UK (read England) if the SNP have any part in governing our One Nation. So little positive campaigning as usual, doesn't take long for politicians to start slagging each other off and scaremongering, so much easier than persuading us of the strength of their own policies. In fact with Cameron's unfunded spending commitments, perhaps diverting our attention is his best chance. I am not Anti-Tory btw, think the coalition have done a reasonable job, just a depressing observation

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Major speaks from the heart, a working class boy who came from nothing - he engages the electorate in a way lots of Tories cant now. There needs to be a new 'him'.

He's the only Tory I've ever related to. While the press tried to mock his apparent lack of personality or charisma, he had a quiet authoritative dignity about him, and talked in a way you could believe him. Genuinely a compassionate Tory, who gave the party a much needed jolt to the left. It was Major who said critically about pandering to Conservative core support 'the only thing our core support delivers is the wooden spoon'. I've always had a lot of respect for him, and perhaps the only Prime Minister to have left office in half a century with his head held high. His government made some poor decisions (don't they all), and the scandals didn't help, but a well deserved knighthood.

Tories to me have an unhealthy reverence for Thatcher, even in this election the whole 'buy your home' campaign slogans seem to hark back to those days, whereas actually, Cameron and his colleagues could do a lot worse than look at how Major held office, and incredibly pulled off the '92 election win.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
See the link above from a Tory peer...

Forsyth claimed the Tories were partly responsible for the rise of the SNP after helping to prop up Alex Salmond’s minority government from 2007 to 2011, a move that gave Tory voters “permission” to support the SNP to keep out Labour.
Who cares?....it's the now that matters, tactics in politics?!..... shock horror.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Two questions:
1. Did Major really say that?
2. Does Major actually believe that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here