Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What are you actually trying to say. Are you saying Balls didn't say that on video. It's all over the BBC. Yes the BBC. Wonders never cease.

You need to see the video clip on Sky , they showed both versions , the one edited by the Conservatives to leave off the final comment and the original.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Correct, more manufacturing needed. I think that is the only hope we have of being able to create some half decent jobs again in this country. Manufacturing is one of the most important things a country can have for it's economy. Succesive governments have forgotten about manufacturing, always putting it's interests in the finance sector. The difference between a manufacturing company and one dealing with finance is obvious, a large manufacturing company will create hundreds of other jobs because of the chain of other companies needed for other services and components.

When I worked in manufacturing, we sourced one company for rotors and bearings, we sourced another company for plastic granules, we sourced another company for tooling, we sourced another company for anodising our components, and so the list goes on.

What's the point of manufacturing if you don't have customers?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Problem is in this country is that banks etc don't see manufacturing as a good investment, they like short term investment.

It's very hard then for UK manufactures to invest in tooling etc to make more exciting and desirable Products. Manufacturing in the UK in many industries has become a cottage industry with low employment.

In Germany the banks see manufacturing as a good long term investment, the results speak for themselves......

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
That clueless moron could be chancellor in a months time. Now that scares the shit out of me.:eek:

I don't think he is clueless. I suspect he is quite bright but he is dangerous with his pandering for votes. Once in watch the lurch to the left and a slow build up of a battle with red ed

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're doing pretty well now so no, it doesn't
We are doing averagely, and far worse than we were doing under Labour for most of their 15 years in office. And we have been the slowest to recover after 2010 of all G7 nations, but don't let these facts get in the way.

And it would have been utterly disastrous without the Lib Dems curbing the most ludicrous cuts and tax reductions. The tories are dangerous.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
We are doing averagely, and far worse than we were doing under Labour for most of their 15 years in office. And we have been the slowest to recover after 2010 of all G7 nations, but don't let these facts get in the way.

And it would have been utterly disastrous without the Lib Dems curbing the most ludicrous cuts and tax reductions. The tories are dangerous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...economy-International-Monetary-Fund-says.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a621543c-a620-11e4-9bd3-00144feab7de.html#axzz3WkdEhLWe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32145954

'That is indeed faster than other countries in the G7 advanced economies, including the USA (2.4%), Canada (2.4%), Japan (0.1%), France (0.4%), Germany (1.5%) and Italy (which shrank by 0.4%).'

Not bad behind China and probably the US.

If the car is crashed it takes a long time to recover. It's not an instant process.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

We have a very large reliance on the financial services sector and have for a while. It was the most hit sector from the financial crash. This has caused a lag effect, we could expect nothing less. We now have one of the strongest growths, if not the strongest, among the g7.

Growth under Labour was very good, but resulted in out worst recession for 100 years. We are paying for it now. I personally wouldn't be shoutng about it.

Your hypothesis about what it would be like without the Libs is not one I would agree with, they have been fairly ineffectual from what I have seen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We have a very large reliance on the financial services sector and have for a while. It was the most hit sector from the financial crash. This has caused a lag effect, we could expect nothing less. We now have one of the strongest growths, if not the strongest, among the g7.

Growth under Labour was very good, but resulted in out worst recession for 100 years. We are paying for it now. I personally wouldn't be shoutng about it.

Your hypothesis about what it would be like without the Libs is not one I would agree with, they have been fairly ineffectual from what I have seen.

You seem to be suggesting that the growth under labour was what caused the worst recession! Care to explain.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You seem to be suggesting that the growth under labour was what caused the worst recession! Care to explain.

Poor regulation of the financial sector. We were competing with NY to be the easiest to do business with. That was a key cause in the crash. Labour over spending in the good times when they should have been running surpluses meant the hangover was even worse. There you go

Edit - and Gordon brown who thought he had conquered economics - no more boom and bust. And acted accordingly. He had lost the plot which has cost us dear

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Poor regulation of the financial sector. We were competing with NY to be the easiest to do business with. That was a key cause in the crash. Labour over spending in the good times when they should have been running surpluses meant the hangover was even worse. There you go

Edit - and Gordon brown who thought he had conquered economics - no more boom and bust. And acted accordingly. He had lost the plot which has cost us dear

What a load of garbage. You should well know that there have hardly been any years when a government has run a surplus whatever political persuasion they are and whether or not they are in a period of growth or recession. The wording of your post, either intentionally or unintentionally, implied the blame was Labour's. The recession happened on their watch but would have happened whether Labour or the Tories had been in charge. It may well have been worse under the Tories who were calling for even less regulation of the financial sector.

As for them running a surplus prior to the recession, if they had done that who was going to pay for the heavy investment in infrastructure that was badly needed after decades of negligence, again by both parties.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

growth under Labour was disguising unsustainable spending and lulled Brown into a false sense of achivement, and was created in part by exporting inflation and offsetting public expenditure to the prviate sector through PFI (so hiding the true amount of public debt). it didnt cause the recession, but a proportion of the growth was sort of illusionary, or brought forward from future growth potential if you like. there was little focus on building up productive parts of the economy under Brown, it was about state largesse or tinkering with bits round the edges, which is funny considering the old manufacturing chestnut was poked about in the last page. to be fair he didnt hinder those businesses that did want to progress, so it wasnt all bad.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
What a load of garbage. You should well know that there have hardly been any years when a government has run a surplus whatever political persuasion they are and whether or not they are in a period of growth or recession. The wording of your post, either intentionally or unintentionally, implied the blame was Labour's. The recession happened on their watch but would have happened whether Labour or the Tories had been in charge. It may well have been worse under the Tories who were calling for even less regulation of the financial sector.

As for them running a surplus prior to the recession, if they had done that who was going to pay for the heavy investment in infrastructure that was badly needed after decades of negligence, again by both parties.

I have already said I beleive Labour is I part to blame. I thought that was obvious in my post. Whether it would have been worse under any other party is pure guess work, no one will ever now. What we do know is labour absolutely messed it up and had the nerve to say they had conquered boom and bust. It is not in their DNA to run the economy well, we saw it in the last time they were kicked out of power

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Let's get rid of the debt and the kids can have a better quality of life in the future the Labour Party want a bigger state which is wrong! Please don't vote the greens back in ? I would rather go into coalition with labour and the Tories than the SNP or UKIP!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have already said I beleive Labour is I part to blame. I thought that was obvious in my post. Whether it would have been worse under any other party is pure guess work, no one will ever now. What we do know is labour absolutely messed it up and had the nerve to say they had conquered boom and bust. It is not in their DNA to run the economy well, we saw it in the last time they were kicked out of power

So if you can't make an educated guess whether the Tories would have been better or worse during the global recession then I'm sure you can equally argue that you can only guess whether the last five years would have been worse or better under Labour. It cuts both ways.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's get rid of the debt and the kids can have a better quality of life in the future the Labour Party want a bigger state which is wrong! Please don't vote the greens back in ? I would rather go into coalition with labour and the Tories than the SNP or UKIP!

You're right, Labour want a bigger state and the Tories want virtually no state.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here