aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd suggest watching the show - Ed did anything but make himself look good. In fact he'd have been better off eating a bacon sandwich.

Don't agree.

Miliband did ok.

Cameron did ok as well.

Farage played to his own gallery and would have been popular with them, but not sure he'd have won over many others.

Clegg didn't do enough - he's finished, I think - and the best he hope is to keep his own seat, and then step aside as leader.

Greens, SNP, and PC will all have gained votes.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On reflection it looks like the LibDems could well be the "king-makers" either in a right wing alliance pact(CON-LD-DUP-UKIP) or a left wing alliance pact (LAB-LD-SNP-PC-Green). Last night's debate may have seen some of the general public warm to the idea that the SNP and Labour will have to work together as the alternative to another 5 years of Dave looking after his very rich pals.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Don't agree.

Miliband did ok.

Cameron did ok as well.

Farage played to his own gallery and would have been popular with them, but not sure he'd have won over many others.

Clegg didn't do enough - he's finished, I think - and the best he hope is to keep his own seat, and then step aside as leader.

Good summary. One exception for me. I think Libs will win enough seats to be players to some extent and that might keep him there for longer than we think.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't agree.

Miliband did ok.

Cameron did ok as well.

Funny how we all see it, I agree that Cameron was ok and nothing more, but bearing in mind Miliband had the chance to push the advantage home, I thought given his position, he was by far the least impressive. The NHS which I would have thought was Labours trump card, I thought he ended up losing when he ducked the Mid Staffs question (he could have come back with Colchester).

Farage was doing ok, until the monumental own goal with the foreign health tourists, he may have a point, but needed to be more guarded about how he put it across.

Thought Sturgeon was more convincing. Clegg was better than I thought, though Cameron's 'pick and mix' comment effectively stumped him.

All in all, it has done nothing than convince me that currently, politics and leadership in all the main parties is at an all time low.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Sticking to my guns of Tory-LD-DUP deal. Especially now the DUP have done a deal with the UUP - should mean 9 seats for them. +25 for the LD should get the deal across the line.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sticking to my guns of Tory-LD-DUP deal. Especially now the DUP have done a deal with the UUP - should mean 9 seats for them. +25 for the LD should get the deal across the line.

Labour SNP is the answer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Funny how we all see it, I agree that Cameron was ok and nothing more, but bearing in mind Miliband had the chance to push the advantage home, I thought given his position, he was by far the least impressive. The NHS which I would have thought was Labours trump card, I thought he ended up losing when he ducked the Mid Staffs question (he could have come back with Colchester).

Farage was doing ok, until the monumental own goal with the foreign health tourists, he may have a point, but needed to be more guarded about how he put it across.

Thought Sturgeon was more convincing. Clegg was better than I thought, though Cameron's 'pick and mix' comment effectively stumped him.

All in all, it has done nothing than convince me that currently, politics and leadership in all the main parties is at an all time low.

Think you've got most of it right here, although Farage was dire from the word go, playing to the gallery, and claiming that we need to get out of Europe and start trading with the commonwealth. Is it 2015 or 1915?
I also think Miliband came across well again, and it was between him and Sturgeon as most impressive performer. What you've got to bear in mind with Miliband is that he was starting from monumentally low ratings and expectations. That he's been right up there in both 'debates' constitutes a turnaround, and I expect you'll continue to see his personal ratings rise ahead of the election.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't agree.

Miliband did ok.

Cameron did ok as well.

fair assessment, i wonder if PC will make a surge in Labour heartlands of south Wales. anyway, i thought Clegg did OK he made some good points and if people can move on from one election promise dropped, then they might see they havent done too badly (seriously, this tution fees thing is massivly overblown in the scheme of things. especially when it was Labour that introduced them in the first place).

Portillo on the TV after made a good observation that Cameron and Miliband are essentially only interested in appealing to their established vote, theres no real attempt to connect or bring in new voters. the floating voter will be selecting a party pretty randomly i think. Conservative and Labour are at this point more concerned with not losing than winning, what would it take to swing 60+ seats to Labour or 20+ to Tories? im becoming more convinced that the Liberals arent going to have the implosion expected because of this, the Liberal voter is either not inclined to vote for either of those or a tactical voter, so why would they change to Labour/Con now? or we can look forward to a low turnout, which might favor the two main parties.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Think you've got most of it right here, although Farage was dire from the word go, playing to the gallery, and claiming that we need to get out of Europe and start trading with the commonwealth. Is it 2015 or 1915?
I also think Miliband came across well again, and it was between him and Sturgeon as most impressive performer. What you've got to bear in mind with Miliband is that he was starting from monumentally low ratings and expectations. That he's been right up there in both 'debates' constitutes a turnaround, and I expect you'll continue to see his personal ratings rise ahead of the election.
I agree with Ed..if they keep Balls locked in a cupboard they might have a chance

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i thought his point was very good in putting the deficit/debt in to everyday context. you have to pay your debts back. its a shame that anyone needs this spelt out after 6 years of being discussed. i believe the current interest payments on the debt are £48bn. £48bn, let that sink in a bit, thats more than the defence budget, or about half the eduction budget. thats rather alot of tax revenues that could be better spent elsewhere more productivly.

We have got the money because, as yet, we haven't defaulted on the debt. If you want it to compare to a household budget, it's like having a mortgage. Except of course the country's mortgage is just for 25 years. There have of course been very few years when a government of any colour has run a surplus. Finally, if your scared of big figures, our nominal GDP for 2015 is £3,000,000,000,000.

People are happy to bang on about the National Debt being the highest it has ever been but also forget to mention GDP is higher than it has ever been! It is double what it was in 2000. Yes, we would all like to see a zero National Debt but that ain't going to happen.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
To be frank I wouldn't have a problem with the SNP being involved but Labour, after that performance, no way.

Labour admitted to their mistakes. We are all wise after the event. The Coalition have sat back and allowed millions into the country. Several cities the size of Birmingham if you include the ones not accounted for. The Tories have simply carried on printing money whilst harming the poorest. Thank goodness for the LIB Dems insisting the income tax threshold is raised. The recession was not caused by Labour but by the banks world wide. Osborne was constantly complaining that the banks were being over regulated so obviously the collapse would have been even worse under the Tories.
Unfortunately you appear to be a classic loud mother Tory Boy. Big Mouth strikes again. You think you are bright but your whole world just revolves around yourself. You certainly seem to have a limited grasp of politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports