Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am sure somewhere on here yesterday was saying that Clegg would hang onto his safe seat - the latest Ashcroft polls today are hinting their mat be a record breaking swing in Hallam - He had 53% of the vote on the last election

Attachments

• New Ashcroft 11.jpg
    New Ashcroft 11.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 203

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am sure somewhere on here yesterday was saying that Clegg would hang onto his safe seat - the latest Ashcroft polls today are hinting their mat be a record breaking swing in Hallam - He had 53% of the vote on the last election

The post was in another thread where it was suggested he would hang on but with a reduced majority :lolol:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Ed Balls rules out increasing the top rate of tax, but does not rule out lowering the threshold to scoop up more middle-income earners.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

This itv poll (can't see how many people surveyed) like the referendum question its a pick from two of the following quiz - as I said before my experience of Scotland is not one of people being against the English as the referendum demonstrated with over 55% voting to remain part of the UK. Like the greens here - they will pick up a lot of voters who have had enough of the old political machines, and feel they can be part of a change, Labour take the hit as they are the main party, but safe Lib dem seats are also under threat.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
This itv poll (can't see how many people surveyed) like the referendum question its a pick from two of the following quiz - as I said before my experience of Scotland is not one of people being against the English as the referendum demonstrated with over 55% voting to remain part of the UK. Like the greens here - they will pick up a lot of voters who have had enough of the old political machines, and feel they can be part of a change, Labour take the hit as they are the main party, but safe Lib dem seats are also under threat.

The SNP say they aren't anti-English but so do Sinn Fein. I think there is a danger in assuming that the SNP are anything other than a party who want to break up the UK. They aren't a protest vote and neither are UKIP.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I guarantee he will hang on - willing to have a bet on the REMF for it. It's an Ashcroft Poll - he had The Tories on 40% last week. Very sporadic.

£20 ? I'll gladly donate £20 to REMF if Clegg wins Sheffield Hallam. Do we have a bet ?

Downlander

Apr 14, 2011
Can anyone explain to me why Labours support in Scotland has appeared to collapse? I would of thought that after Gordon Brown helped in the referendum debates their would be a pro-labour rebound. I am missing something so what is it?

Anti Englishness!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they lost their referendum, but now 56% would vote SNP for independence? thats makes bugger all sence. i'm perplexed by the SNP surge, especially with the oil price shift showing how tenuous their financial position would be. like the UKIP vote, i wonder if its going to shrink considerably when the real poll is taken.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Ed Balls rules out increasing the top rate of tax, but does not rule out lowering the threshold to scoop up more middle-income earners.

well he's got to make up some money from somewhere, the 50% top rate will raise about £1-2bn, same for the mansion tax. £90bn deficit to be reduced, even if he doesnt care to cut it all, where's the taxes going to be raised?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Working there a lot, I know thats not the case (bar some pockets in Glasgow), I saw a piece the other day saying that most SNP voters don't want independence but want nothing to do with an elitist and old school Westminster. Its a very Anti Tory vote as well.

My experience of working Scotland from 1991 onwards is totally different to yours, the spread and depth of virulent Anti-English feeling in the last 25 years has been remarkable.

If you are English Aberdeen has become a very unpleasant place to work which is one of the reasons I was happy to stop my Offshore frolics.

Happy to see our Celtic Cousins b*gger off myself. They think will be the new Norway. I rather disagree.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
they lost their referendum, but now 56% would vote SNP for independence? thats makes bugger all sence. i'm perplexed by the SNP surge, especially with the oil price shift showing how tenuous their financial position would be. like the UKIP vote, i wonder if its going to shrink considerably when the real poll is taken.

I think you'll find the poll was a poll of potential SNP voters rather than one of a broad spectrum of voters.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
My experience of working Scotland from 1991 onwards is totally different to yours, the spread and depth of virulent Anti-English feeling in the last 25 years has been remarkable.

If you are English Aberdeen has become a very unpleasant place to work which is one of the reasons I was happy to stop my Offshore frolics.

Happy to see our Celtic Cousins b*gger off myself. They think will be the new Norway. I rather disagree.

You've only got to hear salmon and sturgeon speak to understand why this is happening. Their hatred of everything English is clear to all who listen to them. Them down South is one of their favourites and them in westminster another. After a while it's going to have an affect and start to rub off.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

i wouldnt take that too seriously, look at historic elections its a Tory/Liberal seat, Labour hasnt got above 20% since '79, 12-13% since '97. and Tories have not polled below 30% upto the last election when a popular Clegg increased the turnout by 10k. it doesnt seem likly there is going to 10-12k people switch to voting Labour there with none going to Tories.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Latest YouGov poll (31 Mar - 01 Apr):

CON - 36% (+1)
LAB - 34% (-2)
UKIP - 13% (+1)
LDEM - 8% (+1)
GRN - 4% (-1)

Ha ha ha ha. April fooooooool! Nice one mate, you almost caught me.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ labour would be horrific. ..Anyone who votes for them needs shooting.
Why can't these leaders just state what they will do and do it...Bunch of posh tarts who can barely answer YES or NO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here