Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you forget to post the Populus poll from yesterday ? CON 31%, LAB 34%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 17%, GRN 5%

There's nothing in this whole wide world that cheers me up as much as seeing that seagullsovergrimsby has made a post to this thread.

I open the thread up with much anticipation. He rarely lets me down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thought I better get in and post these before [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] does:
It’s no change with Survation for Mail on Sunday

CON 30%+1
LAB 34%+1
LD 10%=
UKIP 17%-2
SNP 4%=
GRE 3%+1

Mike Smithson [MENTION=20472]msmith[/MENTION]sonPB
Follow
LAB 2% ahead in latest YouGov poll for S Times

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It doesn't look like the Budget has made any difference. If the announcement to abolish tax returns was hastily shoehorned in to win votes then it hasn't worked and could actually be a big stick that Labour could use against them in future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For some reason I seem to recall that opinion polls historically have regularly over estimated the size of the Labour vote in advance of the general election. Wishful thinking on my part, or is there any evidence of this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It doesn't look like the Budget has made any difference. If the announcement to abolish tax returns was hastily shoehorned in to win votes then it hasn't worked and could actually be a big stick that Labour could use against them in future.

why would tax returns be a particularly political issue?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
For some reason I seem to recall that opinion polls historically have regularly over estimated the size of the Labour vote in advance of the general election. Wishful thinking on my part, or is there any evidence of this?

Yes, they looked at last year's local and European elections and the 5 by elections and the Tory vote was under estimated by 2.2% and the Labour vote over estimated by 2%.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pollsters factor in historic data, it's part of the job. Ashcroft certainly does as he's explained his methods.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

1992 was the last time this happened. There is the notion of 'silent Tories' -- those that think Tory, espouse Tory policies, yet stubbornly refuse to say that they are a Tory, or will vote for them -- but that has been factored out of the polls.
Since 1992, the pollsters have been remarkably accurate. At the last election the exit poll got the number of seats of the three leading parties spot on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
why would tax returns be a particularly political issue?

If the Chancellor perceived that the electorate hated completing Tax Returns then he may feel announcing their abolition just 7 weeks before an election might be a popular measure.

Given that the accounting, taxation and financial advice sectors had no idea this was coming, and given HMRC are clearly not ready for such a sweeping change to the tax reporting system, then why else did he announce it? I'm genuinely baffled, I think Osborne has simply misread the situation.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am no fan of cameron, but he made milliband look a right **** on PMQs this lunchtime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here