Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice to see the TV companies not backing down and going ahead with their plans of the TV debates on 2, 16 & 30th April, if Cameron doesn't show he has lost the election and if he does show it will be a MASSIVE climbdown

He's going to get a battering either way now. Turn up and he'll be slaughtered by 6 parties, don't turn up and the nation knows you're running scared. I think this has sealed his defeat; who on earth advised him on this strategy?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's going to get a battering either way now. Turn up and he'll be slaughtered by 6 parties, don't turn up and the nation knows you're running scared. I think this has sealed his defeat; who on earth advised him on this strategy?

I'm not convinced. He's managed to water down the original four-way debate, with seven leaders it will be much harder for any one person to dominate and he'll get an easier ride. If he doesn't want a head-to-head with Miliband, he just says no: the debate can't go ahead without him, so it will just be scrapped

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Snp ruled out a formal coalition last night on question time

It would appear they will support a minority labour government from Sturgeon's very recent comments.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't agree that he'd be odds on. The SNP looks as though it may wipe out most of Labour's support in Scotland. If that happens, labour may well not receive a large enough vote in England to make a government with them.

I don't understand your logic. How does what go on in Scotland affect the number of votes Labour will get in England (and Wales)? If the SNP wipe out Labour in Scotland as you (and recent polling) suggest, there's every conceivable possibility that the Tories will get a clear majority in England (and Wales) even one that means that they are the majority party in parliament (325+ seats), they could get roughly the same number of seats as Labour (which would increase the likelihood of a SNP-Labour coalition), or Labour could get a clear majority in England (and Wales) -- although it's looking increasingly unlikely that Labour will get a clear majority in England (and Wales).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The only reason he wants to appear with six other party leaders in a one off debate is to turn it into a BINFEST.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He'll come back with his tail between his legs, although he won't present it as such. Him and his communications strategist have screwed up over this enormously. His strategy is so transparent and evasive. The broadcasters just need to hold firm, and I really don't see why they wouldn't for several reasons, some financial-/advertising-/audience figure-related, but also down to the role the media views itself of taking as a medium between the electorate and those they elect.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The only reason he wants to appear with six other party leaders in a one off debate is to turn it into a BINFEST.

It's far more that everything will get lost, and it will just be a terrible mess. I pity for whoever has to chair the event. There's a clear timeline that's been established, where there are more parties in the first debate, three in the second, and two in the first. Cameron just doesn't want to do it. The Tories are trying to invoke Blair's decision not to do it in 1997. The big problem with that is there was no precedent then, but there is now. Cameron spent most of 2008/9/10 pushing for leadership debates, pointing to how important it was for democracy. To drop that ball now doesn't exactly cast him in the best light.
The big problem is that he's not been sufficiently criticised for it, especially in the press which for the most part is on his side.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm not convinced. He's managed to water down the original four-way debate, with seven leaders it will be much harder for any one person to dominate and he'll get an easier ride. If he doesn't want a head-to-head with Miliband, he just says no: the debate can't go ahead without him, so it will just be scrapped

He was petrified of the original four way debate because Ed and Nigel would boss it. Stick in the SNP , Greens and Plaid Cymru and the muck gets spread more evenly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was petrified of the original four way debate because Ed and Nigel would boss it. Stick in the SNP , Greens and Plaid Cymru and the muck gets spread more evenly.

Exactly.

I think Cameron's been quite smart here - a seven way debate is far less damaging to him. And he's got that incompetent Green leader involved, so all the headlines will be on her gaffes

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is an error by Cameron. He should have just done the debate, it really isn't a big deal. Now the situation is a mess and Labour are crowing he's bottled it.

I find the story irritatingly boring. Cameron and Miliband go head to head every week in PMQs, their debate is about specific issues and makes for good TV, so if people want to see the real thing they can get it every week.

Farage is on Question Time so often it's not as if he's got anything new to say, while Sturgeon had plenty of airtime in the independence vote and Natalie Bennett is simple an antipodean omnishambles non-entity.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Exactly.

I think Cameron's been quite smart here - a seven way debate is far less damaging to him. And he's got that incompetent Green leader involved, so all the headlines will be on her gaffes

I've got a sneaky suspicion the Greens will find a last minute replacement when Bennett is reported as suffering from a virus and Lucas takes her place behind the lectern.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got a sneaky suspicion the Greens will find a last minute replacement when Bennett is reported as suffering from a virus and Lucas takes her place behind the lectern.

Agree.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
On a case by cases basis. Cake and eat it springs to mind. SNP are really getting on my tits

Could be a case of tail wagging the dog. England needs it's own parliament with only the MP's representing this country voting on our issues, the same as the other UK countries have their own Assemblies/Parliaments where they can only vote on their own issues.

Camicus

Could be a case of tail wagging the dog. England needs it's own parliament with only the MP's representing this country voting on our issues, the same as the other UK countries have their own Assemblies/Parliaments where they can only vote on their own issues.
Or scrap the regional assemblies. We are one nation and its about time we grew up and started acting like it

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
This is an error by Cameron. He should have just done the debate, it really isn't a big deal. Now the situation is a mess and Labour are crowing he's bottled it.

I find the story irritatingly boring. Cameron and Miliband go head to head every week in PMQs, their debate is about specific issues and makes for good TV, so if people want to see the real thing they can get it every week.

Farage is on Question Time so often it's not as if he's got anything new to say, while Sturgeon had plenty of airtime in the independence vote and Natalie Bennett is simple an antipodean omnishambles non-entity.

I agree with this. It's making Cameron look weak when based on previous performances and the current situation he has milliband in his pocket.

The SNP clearly want to be no part of a coalition. Because power brings with it responsibility and it will be pretty hard to blame the UK government for how they are shafting Scotland if they are part of the UK government.

Staying out but putting a price on every single vote where they support labour will benefit then better. The absolute scandal of course will be when and if they support labour to get a vote through that does not affect Scotland.

I would hope any principled Labour MP would not allow such a thing to happen

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Perfect strategy by Dave, let the other six argue and accuse each other whilst his seat is empty, then have a head to head with Ed and land the knockout blow that he is capable of. Since when have the UK broadcasters set the political agenda in this country. Well done Dave for not being manipulated, whats the outcome of these debates anyway, who cares, who listens, boring, boring, boring. If this is the highest issue in politics at the moment we really are devoid of any substance.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Perfect strategy by Dave, let the other six argue and accuse each other whilst his seat is empty, then have a head to head with Ed and land the knockout blow that he is capable of. Since when have the UK broadcasters set the political agenda in this country. Well done Dave for not being manipulated, whats the outcome of these debates anyway, who cares, who listens, boring, boring, boring. If this is the highest issue in politics at the moment we really are devoid of any substance.

But Dave argued for them in the first place when he was not PM. He even said recently that a two way debate with Ed was a credible debate. He has more to lose by the debates hence his position but it doesnt look good to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here