GBNews: anyone watching?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yup bit embarrasing for them but this Andrew Neil guy really isnt helping himself. Its not like this sad outburst against one of their escaped advertisers is going to make other companies line up to advertise on their TV channel.

Andrew Neil is quite a heavyweight in UK news media channels, and with a heavyweight CV to match. Generally respected for his gravitas. Not quite sure what he was thinking with this project though. Ditto all the other respected newsmen that have elected to join him. With advertisers falling over themselves to bail out, GB News looks unlikely to be in play for very much longer than the doomed European Super League. Both a SPECTACULAR lack of judgement IMHO

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It's quite an eye-opener how all of these companies' advertising representatives just seemingly do their advert placement without doing the research into where they're doing the placement. Lot of companies left with egg on their faces on this one and, er, SCRAMBLING to regain the moral high ground. Amusing to watch the fallout

My reading on it yesterday is that most of these companies are using a third party to do the placement, and in many cases that third party has apparently ignored long-standing guidance from the companies on how and where to place those ads when they placed them on GBNews (and also not notified the companies when they did the placement).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It takes a certain special kind of whataboutery to turn a thread taking the piss out of Gammon Broadcasting's production values and "journalism" and try to make it about the Qatar World Cup. But luckily NSC's king of the whatabout is on the case. :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He’s got a point on this occasion though. The players are kneeling to highlight racism. Fair enough. The families of those dead migrant workers might ask what these millionaire players are doing to highlight their treatment. Of course we can’t solve all the world’s problems, but at the same time surely there are limits to where our players’ consciences will allow them to play given the moral stance they are clearly willing to take on other issues ?

That's not what cunning fergus is saying...

'If the players are having a kneel in English and European matches because of systemic police brutality in the US'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh my mistake, they were kneeling before George Floyd’s death then..........I must have missed that meeting.

You're certainly missing something...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It takes a certain special kind of whataboutery to turn a thread taking the piss out of Gammon Broadcasting's production values and "journalism" and try to make it about the Qatar World Cup. But luckily NSC's king of the whatabout is on the case. :thumbsup:

With this mildly anti Semitic post you seem to have more cheek than a cow has fanny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
You're certainly missing something...

Of course I am, the evidence you can provide that English football players were kneeling BEFORE George Floyd was a victim of US police brutality.

Cant be difficult........you know exactly why I am asking for it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Also worked well in 1974 and 1978 during the glory days of football. A time when the FA was prepared to stand up for what was right.

Anti racist stances are nothing new.

England boycotted the 1994 World Cup long before the recent US incidents.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Oh my mistake, they were kneeling before George Floyd’s death then..........I must have missed that meeting.

Educate yourself.

The current "Taking the knee" movement originates in 2016, in American Football. But that itself took inspiration from MLK in 1965. And he, in turn, took inspiration from historical instances that stretch back to the 1780's.

Edit: Yes, the current English Football movement has its roots in George Floyd. But to focus on that is to ignore (incorrectly) the history that is attached to the gesture. Taking the knee is not a new thing, it goes back over 200 hundred years, and is generally attached with ultimately helping to push through improvements. In the case of the 1780's example, the symbolism of a kneeling black man played a role in helping get slavery abolished in the UK.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
No the FA made it clear in their statement it is not politically motivated, only the booing fans say it's about politics, so am expecting similar politcal stances....

Yeah, the same organisation that identified rappers Krept and Konan (K&K) being suitable to front it’s 2020 anthem?

Given their frequent use of racist and sexist tropes in their art, I am not sure the FA can be trusted to make judgements on what is politically motivated or not these days.

To quote K&K........these niggers can’t settle in my circle, we both like Ralph Lauren, but mine’s purple.

Nice.......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It takes a certain special kind of whataboutery to turn a thread taking the piss out of Gammon Broadcasting's production values and "journalism" and try to make it about the Qatar World Cup. But luckily NSC's king of the whatabout is on the case. [emoji106]
Calling the [MENTION=41455]NSC Whatabouttery Klaxon[/MENTION]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With this mildly anti Semitic post you seem to have more cheek than a cow has fanny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is that anti-Semitic?

NB: this anti-semitic thing you seem to have adopted over the last few weeks, it’s weak. It’s weak and despite it being an attempt to deflect from the fact that you are a racist, it makes you look even more so.
I don’t expect you to do anything about it or comment on it.
Anyway, enjoy your Gammon channel. It’s made for idiots, just like you :)

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Educate yourself.

The current "Taking the knee" movement originates in 2016, in American Football. But that itself took inspiration from MLK in 1965. And he, in turn, took inspiration from historical instances that stretch back to the 1780's.

Edit: Yes, the current English Football movement has its roots in George Floyd. But to focus on that is to ignore (incorrectly) the history that is attached to the gesture. Taking the knee is not a new thing, it goes back over 200 hundred years, and is generally attached with ultimately helping to push through improvements. In the case of the 1780's example, the symbolism of a kneeling black man played a role in helping get slavery abolished in the UK.

Fascinating, so did the English first division players kneel down before matches in respect to MLK and the US civil rights movement when he was gunned down in Memphis, by a White American?

What do you think was the catalyst for English football players kneeling pre matches?

Tyrone Mings said it was George Floyd being murdered in the US, but I won’t take his word for it if you can educate me.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports