Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GBNews: anyone watching?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not seeing a platform of hate and division at the moment, mainly the right of centre arguing with itself. Currently watching the National Union Of Famers criticising the trade deal with Australia.

The channel actually works quite well when it does that, but then again Andrew Neil is presenting. Unfortunately the rest of the presenters are clearly out of their depth and the good right of centre ones (they do exist) have decided to stay well clear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not seeing a platform of hate and division at the moment, mainly the right of centre arguing with itself. Currently watching the National Union Of Famers criticising the trade deal with Australia.

The channel actually works quite well when it does that, but then again Andrew Neil is presenting. Unfortunately the rest of the presenters are clearly out of their depth and the good right of centre ones (they do exist) have decided to stay well clear.

It seems more a televised Daily Express, than the very focused alt-right propaganda of Fox News.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Not control. Instead Jon Snow and Guru-Murthy appeared to have been given licence to go beyond simply reading the news in the way BBC news readers do. Not by statements, but a huge emphasis on anti-Brexit stories for example, predicting only bad news. Guardian-esque. With Jon Snow now retired and the shackles released, perhaps he’ll now talk candidly.

A Brexiteer friend watched C4 news on GE2019 night, to see the gutted-ness etched across the C4 News teams faces.

there are no editors or production team?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not control. Instead Jon Snow and Guru-Murthy appeared to have been given licence to go beyond simply reading the news in the way BBC news readers do. Not by statements, but a huge emphasis on anti-Brexit stories for example, predicting only bad news. Guardian-esque. With Jon Snow now retired and the shackles released, perhaps he’ll now talk candidly.

A Brexiteer friend watched C4 news on GE2019 night, to see the gutted-ness etched across the C4 News teams faces.

Channel Four has a public service remit to be distinct from other broadcasters and that extends to the news.

It may well come across as Guardian-esque, but to me it comes across as more "left field" than "left wing" and that (whether anyone disagrees with it or not) was why it was set up by a Conservative Government at the time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Of course, but they are allowed a journalist role and have a say in choice of stories. (Going by praise worthy articles on Snow this year).

I doubt Sophie Raworth has a big say in the choice of 6 o’clock news stories ….. awaits Clapham Gull to tell me she does.

I think if you are reading it (at somewhere like the BBC) you do have a say but the final choice will be that of the editor, but I know **** all about the news really. What I did read was that the BBC is actually bringing it's varied news departments together as a single entity. Historically they have grown differently across radio and television (even programmes) with different procedures, departments and cultures.

What the television industry is very bad at is explaining how it operates behind the scenes, mainly on a commercial level.

It completely infuriates me. The only news organisation that is good at that is the Guardian.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
C5D82223-6345-4665-BD1C-DE6F51141DFC.jpeg

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Yes, there's a world of difference - but one person's "presenter who has a set of political principles and often present issues through that lens" will be another person's "presenter who is hired to peddle an agenda of distorted news as they are in the pockets of their wealthy paymasters", very much depending on your personal political bias. The two views - and the opposing biases - will never be reconciled.

We live in a polarised society - Anti Vaxers versus those who support vaccination; those who respect Covid restrictions versus lockdown protesters; people who think pulling down statues is the right thing to do versus those who don't; remainers versus brexiteers. Neither side will accept the other's arguments, and both sides will always applaud and echo anyone or anything that appears to support their view - whatever view that is!

erm, no it doesn't. there is a clear distinction between political charged opinion and distorting the truth. Talk Radio is owned by Rupert Murdoch who's aim is to maintain plutocracy in the UK, although it appears Murdoch does not have a stake in GB News, their backers would appear to be of the same ilk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Perfectly normal guests.

[tweet]1404921547144433664[/tweet]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This chap watches GBeebies so I don't have to.

Does anyone know if this is actually true ?

[tweet]1405032150492143616[/tweet]

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
No, but the Guardian article linked was as predictable as the toileting habits of bears. And, TBH, I suspect that, whatever else, GB news are also aware of where bears shit.

30 plus pages of froth speckled indignation about a supposedly irrelevant news channel with the execution proficiency of Mark Farrington.

I wonder how long till these pages will be cheering on loons harassing GB journalists in the street..........I will go for page 41.

What a time to be alive.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I have enjoyed watching the the Andrew Neil hour.
Excellent pieces on the Oz trade deal, rising anti semitism in the UK and a very good interview with Simon Fanshawe. He also covered the disgusting attack on the BBC journalist on Whitehall.
Still a few sound issues but improving.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Excellent pieces on the Oz trade deal, rising anti semitism in the UK and a very good interview with Simon Fanshawe. He also covered the disgusting attack on the BBC journalist on Whitehall.

Dishy Rishi tonight :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would absolutely LOVE to watch the reaction of the likes of GB News if someone went on the BBC and started nit-picking about paedophilia and sticking up for Jeffrey Epstein

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Were they pro or anti rising anti-Semitism? I only ask because I thought caring about minorities suffering was a bit too "woke" for them?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
More likely no error at all. No-one was expecting this.....

I suspect the advertisers were hoping it'd be a relatively calm opening few weeks so they could draw on the revenue of the initial buzz and hope to ride out any storm. GB News, however, needed someone to come out and be "controversial" right out of the blocks (because that's clearly it's raison d'etre) and something had to give.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is not the wisest move by Andrew Neil. It wasn't IKEAUK and it was over 10 years ago. It smacks of hitting out because IKEAUK have pulled their advertising,

[tweet]1404937576453136384[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is not the wisest move by Andrew Neil. It wasn't IKEAUK and it was over 10 years ago. It smacks of hitting out because IKEAUK have pulled their advertising,

[tweet]1404937576453136384[/tweet]

Certainly suggests he's rattled, and would (I imagine) be unlikely to be bought up if it was just the one advertiser

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here