GBNews: anyone watching?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
James O’Brien or his many guests didn’t pick a discrete week. It was trotted out weekly for a year, a couple of weeks ago on David Lammy’s show a caller was repeatedly allow to say it unchallenged.

It wasn’t or isn’t true under the subjective doctor’s signing a death certificate “with Covid symptoms”, or the reliable excess mortality methodology used by the BMJ, WHO, JHU, FT and Economist. The UK is way down the true list.

View attachment 137704
Source: FT

I don't listen everyday, but I have heard J.O.B. state we had the worst death rate of any country with a population over 25 Million(?) at one time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't listen everyday, but I have heard J.O.B. state we had the worst death rate of any country with a population over 25 Million(?) at one time.

What happened was that he spent 9 months plus saying “the worst per capita death toll in the world”.

Then overnight, I assume there were Ofcom complaints, he appended a sarcastic, said quietly “…. of a country with a population over 20 million”.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That’s right.

Completely biased non-journalism from the right and left. Note the word left.

@Clapham Gull has already explained that LBC have a special dispensation to run unbalanced shows.

Yep, O’Brien’s show is every bit as biased as Nick Ferrari’s. They both have fans that cannot see the bias. Personally I think both are unlistenable.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
James O'Brien's show is a sign our media is going down the US route? :lolol:

Give the crack pipe a rest I reckon....

I'd agree with Westender in the respect of LBC. James O'Brien has to be there, especially if you give Nigel Farage or the conspiracy theory loving Maajid Nawaz a show

The success of LBC shows where GBNews has got it very very wrong. It's going to have to change very very quickly to be a long term success.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
That’s right.

Completely biased non-journalism from the right and left. Note the word left.

@Clapham Gull has already explained that LBC have a special dispensation to run unbalanced shows.

I think theres a world of difference between presenters who have a set of political principles and often present issues through that lens and presenters who are hired to peddle an agenda of distorted news as they are in the pockets of their wealthy paymasters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Yep, O’Brien’s show is every bit as biased as Nick Ferrari’s. They both have fans that cannot see the bias. Personally I think both are unlistenable.

can't stand Ferrari, presents in a "pretend not to understand' style to appeal to simpletons and argue that every issue has simple solutions no matter how complex and that those in power are either incompetent or work against you. He spent most of last year constantly saying people must go back to work day after day before the second wave came. Why would he care unless he is in someone's pocket?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think theres a world of difference between presenters who have a set of political principles and often present issues through that lens and presenters who are hired to peddle an agenda of distorted news as they are in the pockets of their wealthy paymasters

It’s true that O’Brien pursues his new found causes with out a backer. I hate Murdoch btw.

But they’re all part of a fairly new phenomenon to these shores, of out and out bias in their broadcasts. O’Brien or Lammy aren’t correct about everything, far from it, often issues are subjective. The shows are there as echo chambers for anti Tories to call in, whilst the Ferrari and Farage shows were there for anti Lefties to call in. The unsuspected or naive might tune in and not realise it’s actually not factual news. The winner …. Global Media.

To me GB News is the same sort of thing, on steroids.

I think people will tune in if they’re already right wing, big on Brexit.

I listen to these completely biased radio shows simply for the entertainment, to listen to clashes.

Then Shelagh Fogarty comes along at 1 with a real journalistic credentials, former BBC and as much a social conscience as anyone.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
..and presenters who are hired to peddle an agenda of distorted news as they are in the pockets of their wealthy paymasters

Struggling to think of anyone presenting on either LBC or GBNews that's in the pocket of wealthy paymasters.

There is nothing inherently "evil" about the idea of GBNews. Behind the PR it's just a business which has strategically placed itself to be the television version of LBC and presumably make money long term.

Editorially on the ground, it appears to have got it bang wrong and at least 6 brands have now disassociated themselves and reviewed their advertising.

Throw in the mix of a technology car crash and (some very bad choices as presenter), rather than coming across as "right of centre" it's coming across as thick as mince. I'm sure they wanted a Daily Telegraph feel, unfortunately they have ended up with The Daily Mail if the Daily Star took it over for a day.

Murdoch clearly had an agenda, but I'm not sure Discovery Networks (who are a major investor) have.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not just the Guardian. Various brands are jumping ship now because the primary objective of the channel is to spread hate and sow division.

It isn't, it's a business not a political party. Unfortunately whoever has been in charge editorially has got it very very wrong and it's quite embarrassing for some of the investors.

I expect they expected a bit of a backlash, but a not presenter (repeat presenter) doing an anti lock down rant.

Reminds me all of the political turmoil when Good Morning Britain launched in the 80s and it fascinating to watch. Expect a new management and editorial team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports