Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GBNews: anyone watching?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
presumably they had a big open debate about how you don't have free speech in this country?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I watched a bit of it - but I'm really after a news summary programme, not chatting about news, so I'm not sure if its general output is what I'm after. I'll check back again occasionally and see what it's like, though.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've just re-watched the Roger Daltrey interview from last night. It sums up where the station will have a problem with agencies such as Ofcom.

Our Rog questioned the Covid death numbers and suggested ventilators were killing people. He's entitled to his view (albeit from a lead singer of a rock band), but it's the presenters jobs to challenge it or at least present balance. Unfortunately he just nodded along.

Daltrey's exact quote (on the Covid virus)

"Look at when it first came out, there were dealing it as though it was a pulmonary illness like pneumonia, obviously. It took a doctor from New York working on the front line to recognise that in actual fact in quite a lot of the people out there, er that they were on ventilators.. the actual ventilators were killing them."

These kind of statements left unchallenged has led to a fear of ventilators in ICU units as reported by many doctors. The reality being that better treatments and understanding of the disease has made it less likely that someone would need to be put on one.

Report breaches here...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Im not sure about Andrew cole and his links to liberty media.
Andrew coles main aims of the channel seem to be to attack the BBC and attack politicians who stood against Brexit.
Andrew cole is a non executive board member at liberty media who have a 10percent share in ITV.

It seems to me that rather than being a voice for the people of Britain,this channel is an attempt by liberty media to destroy the competition before taking over and at the same time try to destabilise our political structure.

I certainly think it's also an attempt to replicate the civil unrest we saw in the us when trump was inaugurated.

This channel has all the hallmarks of a Trojan horse.
A gift to the people of Britain from foreign investors and TV companies that want to destabilise the country and take it over with their own US brand of news companies, which will ironically probably be far more"woke" than anything the BBC is doing.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Well I, for one, am glad that the silent, overlooked majority finally have an outlet that speaks their truth and will enable them to overthrow this ultra-woke Labour government and reverse the referendum decision to remain in the EU.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Bakero, I know it is, but it can become a bit of an echo chamber as far as politics is concerned.
And yes, I know there are a few who swim against the general flow of leftish views, but I reckon they are outnumbered by those I referred to as the great and good.
As far as GB News is concerned, I haven’t yet watched it and I so will reserve judgement, but I think it is safe to assume that views expressed in the Guardian will not generally be those expressed on GB.
Umberto’s boudoir? I haven’t a clue.:smile:

I'd love to carry out an NSC political persuasion survey.

My hunch is that, on the whole, it isn't actually that left wing. Probably more centrist / slightly left of centre with a few people occupying The Left and The Right.

I think what happens is some of the more right wing views get bashed by the left wingers and the more centrist people which can then give the impression of this place being some sort of Guardian subscribed quinoa munching commune, which I don't really think is true.

You're right about the echo chamber thing though. It does become a bit of a back and forth shouting match / echo chamber quite often. I'm guilty of joining in myself, more often than I should probably.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Isn’t that similar to James O’Brien’s LBC show or C4 news?

No not really and Channel Four News is the only news channel out of the three. LBC News is a different station.

I'm already posted above that the only way this station is going to work is to be more like LBC, which is balanced across it's output and has dispensation from OfCom not to be "balanced" within a single programme.

However when you have a guest saying ventilators are killing people and it doesn't go unchallenged we are in completely different territory, especially as patients have been turning down ventilation in hospitals.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite a number of brands pulling or reviewing their advertising now, Vodafone the latest. Not that I'd read much into the "we didn't know we were advertising on there", they generally wouldn't know - they employ other companies to place them.

Quite easy for GBNews to fix the situation though, they just need to re-position themselves as a ranty LBC type station and probably think twice about letting one of their main presenters do an anti lockdown monologue.

Leave that to the guests or the callers in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No not really and Channel Four News is the only news channel out of the three. LBC News is a different station.

I'm already posted above that the only way this station is going to work is to be more like LBC, which is balanced across it's output and has dispensation from OfCom not to be "balanced" within a single programme.

However when you have a guest saying ventilators are killing people and it doesn't go unchallenged we are in completely different territory, especially as patients have been turning down ventilation in hospitals.

“Not balanced’ doesn’t mean lying.

The UK has been slowly going down the US route of propaganda from either side, either blatant (GB News or James O’Brien), shock jocks or TV news such as C4 which has a clear slant.

We’re poorer for it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn’t that similar to James O’Brien’s LBC show or C4 news?

Always anti Tory views peddled, random lies deliberately still thrown in by carefully selected interviewees such as “we have the highest per capita Covid death rate in the entire world”. Lies never rebuked or challenged, because they’re a politicised like minded friend.

Standards having been creeping to propaganda on both sides for ages.

Imho this is very different from the broadcasting world you’ve always known. It is a culture war not just on social media. A drip, drip, drip of propaganda.

I'm guessing you don't listen to James O'Brien that much then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At one point we did have the highest rate per capita in the world.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/uk-covid-death-rate-coronavirus-b1788817.html

James O’Brien or his many guests didn’t pick a discrete week. It was trotted out weekly for a year, a couple of weeks ago on David Lammy’s show a caller was repeatedly allow to say it unchallenged.

It wasn’t or isn’t true under the subjective doctor’s signing a death certificate “with Covid symptoms”, or the reliable excess mortality methodology used by the BMJ, WHO, JHU, FT and Economist. The UK is way down the true list.

7679A245-A368-4E92-9354-EE34243505EC.png
Source: FT

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

The UK has been slowly going down the US route of propaganda from either side, either blatant (GB News or James O’Brien), shock jocks or TV news such as C4 which has a clear slant.

We’re poorer for it.

Only in a few cases, it started on radio. One LBC is doing very well, the other Talk Radio struggling to keep up. There doesn't appear to be much a market for it and what there is LBC have scooped up.

Arguably Channel 4 (which definitely has a liberal slant as you say) has an editorial remit to be a "bit like that", especially if you look at the wider media landscape. Channel 4 don't make the news by the way, they don't make any programmes, it's supplied by ITN who also do the news for ITV and used to do the Channel 5 one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only in a few cases, it started on radio. One LBC is doing very well, the other Talk Radio struggling to keep up. There doesn't appear to be much a market for it and what there is LBC have scooped up.

Arguably Channel 4 (which definitely has a liberal slant as you say) has an editorial remit to be a "bit like that", especially if you look at the wider media landscape. Channel 4 don't make the news by the way, they don't make any programmes, it's supplied by ITN who also do the news for ITV and used to do the Channel 5 one.

Interesting post, thanks.

I hated TalkRadio, I tried it a couple of times for 5 minutes :smile:.

A combination of cringeworthy shock jocks (it seemed to be washed up losers who’s time was up on TalkSport), with a bit of a man in the van right wing agenda. Presented in a very childish, waffly and zero substance manner. I found out that a close friend of mine (since we were 10) likes it.

The star of LBC imho is Shelagh Fogarty. Probably a liberal, very empathetic, but not party political. (James O’Brien but open minded, and tells it straight to Labour callers/politicians too).

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

We’re poorer for it.

James O'Brien's show is a sign our media is going down the US route? :lolol:

Give the crack pipe a rest I reckon....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here