Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GBNews: anyone watching?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I like GB News, seems pretty balanced to me. Productions not very good, it different to everything else out there production wise and needs time.

"Balanced" and "What I want to hear" are two completely different things.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some data: peak of 336,000 viewers for the launch easily outscoring SKY News and the BBC News Channel. Majority were male (57%), 65+ (52%) and ABC1 (82%). It would be interesting to know what the target is and the break-even/sustainability figure.

I saw those stats yesterday, but they are a bit misleading. Of course there are going to be relatively high, because everyone is 'tuning in' to see what the new kid on the block is all about.

I'd be more interested to see how it stacks up when the same analysis is done in a month's time...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I like GB News, seems pretty balanced to me. Productions not very good, it different to everything else out there production wise and needs time.

1, it's not balanced, and you've obviously missed all the fuss about its launch and intended market
2, there's plenty on this thread that value balance. I don't. Given that, like me, you don't care two hoots for the spurious notion of balance, I do wonder why you're invoking the notion.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
1, it's not balanced, and you've obviously missed all the fuss about its launch and intended market
2, there's plenty on this thread that value balance. I don't. Given that, like me, you don't care two hoots for the spurious notion of balance, I do wonder why you're invoking the notion.

Balance is overrated. If you tell me the sky is blue and someone else says, "nah, it's yellow and made of cats," I don't need to look out the window to know who to trust.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Your talking to the man who posted a link to an article in the Times to back up some position he held. Then when it was pointed out to him that the article in question really didn't support his argument, said he had only read the first paragraph because it was behind the paywall :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Please tell me what I want to hear then?

Balance:

That would be moving from a sycophantic and fawning interview with Pritti Patel where they failed to call out that booing is as much gesture politics as taking the knee to an equally fawning interview with a Labour politician who doesn't agree with the booing, before rounding off by reading Southgate's statement as to why the players do. They did none of those things.

You want someone to tell you it's ok to boo - yes, that you, a grown man can either actually boo a television set during a simple act of anti-racism or sit there quietly glowing, safe in the knowledge that Andrew Neill's assemblage de jambon have told you the booing is ok.

Then rinse and repeat for poor starving children in danger in dinghies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What I mean is NSC is home to a range of views, whilst GB News will be more of an Echo chamber than Umberto's boudoir.

Bakero, I know it is, but it can become a bit of an echo chamber as far as politics is concerned.
And yes, I know there are a few who swim against the general flow of leftish views, but I reckon they are outnumbered by those I referred to as the great and good.
As far as GB News is concerned, I haven’t yet watched it and I so will reserve judgement, but I think it is safe to assume that views expressed in the Guardian will not generally be those expressed on GB.
Umberto’s boudoir? I haven’t a clue.:smile:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just re-watched the Roger Daltrey interview from last night. It sums up where the station will have a problem with agencies such as Ofcom.

Our Rog questioned the Covid death numbers and suggested ventilators were killing people. He's entitled to his view (albeit from a lead singer of a rock band), but it's the presenters jobs to challenge it or at least present balance. Unfortunately he just nodded along.

Daltrey's exact quote (on the Covid virus)

"Look at when it first came out, there were dealing it as though it was a pulmonary illness like pneumonia, obviously. It took a doctor from New York working on the front line to recognise that in actual fact in quite a lot of the people out there, er that they were on ventilators.. the actual ventilators were killing them."

These kind of statements left unchallenged has led to a fear of ventilators in ICU units as reported by many doctors. The reality being that better treatments and understanding of the disease has made it less likely that someone would need to be put on one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've just re-watched the Roger Daltrey interview from last night. It sums up where the station will have a problem with agencies such as Ofcom.

Our Rog questioned the Covid death numbers and suggested ventilators were killing people. He's entitled to his view (albeit from a lead singer of a rock band), but it's the presenters jobs to challenge it or at least present balance. Unfortunately he just nodded along.

Daltrey's exact quote (on the Covid virus)

"Look at when it first came out, there were dealing it as though it was a pulmonary illness like pneumonia, obviously. It took a doctor from New York working on the front line to recognise that in actual fact in quite a lot of the people out there, er that they were on ventilators.. the actual ventilators were killing them."

These kind of statements left unchallenged has led to a fear of ventilators in ICU units as reported by many doctors. The reality being that better treatments and understanding of the disease has made it less likely that someone would need to be put on one.

Isn’t that similar to James O’Brien’s LBC show or C4 news?

Always anti Tory views peddled, random lies deliberately still thrown in by carefully selected interviewees such as “we have the highest per capita Covid death rate in the entire world”. Lies never rebuked or challenged, because they’re a politicised like minded friend.

Standards having been creeping to propaganda on both sides for ages.

Imho this is very different from the broadcasting world you’ve always known. It is a culture war not just on social media. A drip, drip, drip of propaganda.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last edited:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
tab.PNG

Ooh look, Rod Liddle is smoking.
Cutting edge TV there, Really pushing the boundaries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here