dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Drop them at the LT car park…..no more difficult for you, no charge and 5 mins on a bus for them :shrug:

Yes, it is a reasonable workaround but, nevertheless, a workaround because they have imposed a charge for something which is not a service provided by them, has no cost to them and which used to be free.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, it is a reasonable workaround but, nevertheless, a workaround because they have imposed a charge for something which is not a service provided by them, has no cost to them and which used to be free.

It’s a charge for using their facilities (which do have a cost to them) and for your added convenience, and they’ve provided a reasonable option if you don’t want to pay.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It’s a charge for using their facilities (which do have a cost to them) and for your added convenience, and they’ve provided a reasonable option if you don’t want to pay.

The driver is not using their facilities. The passenger is using the facilities to fly and return through the terminal and is paying through the flight ticket and for any goods and services bought in the terminal. The roads are there to service the terminal, not to enable car drop-off. The security staff are provided to maintain security in and around the terminal, not to support car drop-off. The 5 pounds charge is unjustifiable on cost-benefit grounds.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The driver is not using their facilities. The passenger is using the facilities to fly and return through the terminal and is paying through the flight ticket and for any goods and services bought in the terminal. The roads are there to service the terminal, not to enable car drop-off. The security staff are provided to maintain security in and around the terminal, not to support car drop-off. The 5 pounds charge is unjustifiable on cost-benefit grounds.

Sounds like you are pushing for car drop offs to be stopped all together.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sounds like you are pushing for car drop offs to be stopped all together.

You are seriously misinterpreting what I'm saying. There is no justification for charging 5 pounds to drop off at the terminal. It costs the airport nothing on top of costs they already incur and services they already deliver, which they would have to continue incurring and delivering whether they made drop-off free once more or whether they banned it completely.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If the roads aren’t there to enable car drop-off, you shouldn’t be using them :lolol: You’re using private roads that someone has had to build and maintain, provide staff, keep lit etc etc. I also suspect the security staff have some responsibility for keeping an eye on cars coming through, who is stopping (dropping off passengers) etc - so yes, there absolutely is a cost to allowing drop-off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You are seriously misinterpreting what I'm saying. There is no justification for charging 5 pounds to drop off at the terminal. It costs the airport nothing on top of costs they already incur and services they already deliver, which they would have to continue incurring and delivering whether they made drop-off free once more or whether they banned it completely.

Using that argument they shouldn’t be charging for parking either ? When I park, it’s to use the airport :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So it is now a pan-UK scam.

The real scam at airports is parents with children getting priority boarding on Easyjet flights for FREE. A service others have to pay for.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Genuinely amazed the majority think this is ‘fine’. Agree have to pay it if rules and got an instruction, but the underlying rule sounds pretty scummy and crap. Thankfully not used Gatwick in well over a decade and flights always seem to be from Heathrow or one of the smaller London airports.

Well Heathrow charge as well as do every other airport nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Using that argument they shouldn’t be charging for parking either ? When I park, it’s to use the airport :shrug:

I have no problem with them charging for parking. They provide land, equipment and services specifically for parking and there is a cost to that. The car parking facilities are provided only for car parking and they have no other use. A very different scenario to the drop-off charge, which is there purely as a money-making exercise and where no service is provided. All they are doing is giving the driver the "right" to stop for a minute or two outside the terminal, for which they are charging 150 pounds per hour per driver (based on a 2 minutes stop)..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

But it is at cost to them, West Sussex will not tarmac their roads, repair the pavements etc. and the airport has to staff the area to ensure people are not clogging it up by hanging around out there for ages waiting to pick up people. I don't get why you think it is without cost to the airport? I don't like having to pay for something that used to be free either, and maybe would argue that it is a cost that they could absorb, but it also encourages the use of public transport, which is a good thing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There is no drop-off charge at Faro or Lisbon airports but there are reasonable car parking charges, reflecting the cost and value of providing the car parking service.

Airports have different business models. I'm pretty sure Faro and Lisbon charge airlines considerably more to land there than most UK airports.

But the issue is fundamentally as I said in my previous post - UK airports generally make a loss on the "aeronautical" side of their business, and a profit on the "commercial" side. Market forces mean you can't always charge for a product/service in direct relation to the cost of providing it. In my experience, most UK airports are run very efficiently. This means generally airlines get very good deals, which in turn means we (the average UK punter) has a huge choice of destinations to fly to. You have to look at the whole thing in the round. And, as others have pointed out, if you don't want to pay a fiver to drop someone off, there are plenty of free alternatives.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
None of the airports I use (Faro, Lisbon, Bordeaux, Johannesburg) charge for drop-off or pick-up. It is a scam.

Do you get equally arsey in Bordeaux cafes when they charge you more to sit on the terrace than inside?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have no problem with them charging for parking. They provide land, equipment and services specifically for parking and there is a cost to that. The car parking facilities are provided only for car parking and they have no other use. A very different scenario to the drop-off charge, which is there purely as a money-making exercise and where no service is provided. All they are doing is giving the driver the "right" to stop for a minute or two outside the terminal, for which they are charging 150 pounds per hour per driver (based on a 2 minutes stop)..

It’s not that different at all - you’re using their road, on their land, being supervised by their staff to drop off your passenger in the most convenient place possible. Anyway, as and when the airport gets back to something like normal capacity the charge will be a good thing. Pre-covid, picking up and dropping off was a nightmare sometimes with too many people using it, staying too long waiting for pickups etc etc.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
But it is at cost to them, West Sussex will not tarmac their roads, repair the pavements etc. and the airport has to staff the area to ensure people are not clogging it up by hanging around out there for ages waiting to pick up people. I don't get why you think it is without cost to the airport? I don't like having to pay for something that used to be free either, and maybe would argue that it is a cost that they could absorb, but it also encourages the use of public transport, which is a good thing.

The airport costs for roads, security etc are all there whether or not you drop-off at the terminal. There is no cost to the airport specific to car drop-off. I have explained this in more detail in earlier posts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here