Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Neville

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been very surprised by pretty much everything I've read about Gary Neville. Hypocrisy has been rife during his reign there so far. When he took the job everyone was giving it the "I hope he does well", "he's a great pundit" etc - but a few weeks later and everyone is so pleased he's struggling? What's that about? He has taken a job midseason in a foreign country - maybe that was unwise with hindsight but I didn't hear too many people saying so at the time. He hasn't won a league game, but there have been plenty which have been decided by a single moment in the game, the stupid own goal last week for example. I've seen a number of the games, not all of them, and they've not been out of the game in any of them. Fine margins is the difference and to be laying into him this much is embarrassing, people seem delighted that he's failing. Well, at least he's had the courage to get off his backside and take the job on.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I've been very surprised by pretty much everything I've read about Gary Neville. Hypocrisy has been rife during his reign there so far. When he took the job everyone was giving it the "I hope he does well", "he's a great pundit" etc - but a few weeks later and everyone is so pleased he's struggling? What's that about? He has taken a job midseason in a foreign country - maybe that was unwise with hindsight but I didn't hear too many people saying so at the time. He hasn't won a league game, but there have been plenty which have been decided by a single moment in the game, the stupid own goal last week for example. I've seen a number of the games, not all of them, and they've not been out of the game in any of them. Fine margins is the difference and to be laying into him this much is embarrassing, people seem delighted that he's failing. Well, at least he's had the courage to get off his backside and take the job on.

My thoughts exactly, I still think he will be a terrific manager

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A chance missed to pick up that first elusive win. Barca's B side (although what a B side!). I think if he doesn't win his next match he's gone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I think a lot of people are just bemused that it's possible for someone to walk straight into a top managerial job with no prior experience, that's all. Surely you work your way up the leagues first?
He comes across as an all round decent bloke and clearly knows the game inside out. I wish him nothing but success, but I would like to see it done the right way by working his way up first.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think a lot of people are just bemused that it's possible for someone to walk straight into a top managerial job with no prior experience, that's all. Surely you work your way up the leagues first?
He comes across as an all round decent bloke and clearly knows the game inside out. I wish him nothing but success, but I would like to see it done the right way by working his way up first.

Exactly.

He should have started at somewhere like Oldham, Rochdale or Accrington. The BBC programmes on Salford City showed Gary Neville to be a likeable guy who isn't afraid of dropping down the leagues and making tough decisions. I know it's different from owning a club to managing it but I think he would have been a success at one of the three clubs I've mentioned - still could possibly but he wanted too much publicity too soon.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
That club is a mess. That's the majority of the problem. Too many poor players signed. Isn't that "Super Agent" Mendez linked heavily with them as well. Sounds as though the club needs an overhaul top to bottom. I think Neville will come good and be a terrific manager.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm pleased for Neville, I really do think today was last chance saloon for him, but that second half must have given him grey hairs.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You obviously like like Neville from his Manure days eh. :kiss:

Cheeky! I like Neville from his Sky Sports days and some of the abuse thrown at him over the last few weeks has been undignified and plain cruel. It surprised me because all of the comments about him when he took the job were positive, but it seems the British way to support someone until they wobble and then it's all turn on that man and jump on his back. Well, it was shameful in this case and totally uncalled for. I hope he enjoys his win tonight and I hope he remembers the behaviour of many in a few years time when his slow start is reviewed in the context of his longer term performance.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I needed Valencia to score to complete my goals galore bet (I don't like aftertiming but this is a one off) and I was fearing the worst but his players are obviously still playing for him and I hope they kick on now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here