Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Neville rant

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Name a team which hasn’t climbed the pyramid in recent years through some sort of financial injection. It’s almost impossible to do it entirely on merit these days. Even Leicester City’s title win was backed by the big financial injection from the owners and the bumper PL money pot. Most of the teams who go into the PL do it either on the back of a rich owner or parachute payments. Salford are no different, just their ownership is more famous and wealthy for the level of club they currently are compared to their current peers.

Correct, and it’s not a sure thing either. Portsmouth and Leeds (back in the day), famously trying their hardest to buy success.

And the chap who bought QPR, had a whole finance investment team backing him, a 5 year plan to get into Europe or something. And they were relegated and never recovered in the Championship.

Investing is part of success. You have to do it well. That’s where we are lucky, we have a smart owner, not just a rich one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh Ok I see what you’re referencing now.

I don’t think that makes Gary Neville a hypocrite though. Unless I’ve missed it he has no issue with Man U or City spending money or being heavily invested in (I agree, that would make him a hypocrite).

He’s more against the anti competitive and underhanded arrogance of the greedy 6 wanting to close up shop in their private club and jeopardise our league.

He's been right so far and has read the room. Although I am finding his rabid interjections a little much now.

Yes, we all hate this. Now let's move on and see what those in authority are going to do to stop it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Name a team which hasn’t climbed the pyramid in recent years through some sort of financial injection. It’s almost impossible to do it entirely on merit these days. Even Leicester City’s title win was backed by the big financial injection from the owners and the bumper PL money pot. Most of the teams who go into the PL do it either on the back of a rich owner or parachute payments. Salford are no different, just their ownership is more famous and wealthy for the level of club they currently are compared to their current peers.

Leicester's was started by going into administration and getting their stadium for free.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He's been right so far and has read the room. Although I am finding his rabid interjections a little much now.

Yes, we all hate this. Now let's move on and see what those in authority are going to do to stop it.

He's one of the players who has given a lot back to the people of England so you would have to think his heart is in the right place , the more i think about this mid week ESL the more sense it makes but as long as it doesn't detract from the domestic leagues of the affected countries , it's basically rendering the champions league obsolete which is why uefa and fifa are jumping up and down , don't get me wrong , smacks of self importance , non inclusivity and elitism ....all the things that are unfashionable at this point in time .
I reckon this all goes away and comes back in 5 or 6 years when the wash up of covid has been truly felt , the league association could be down to 3 leagues by then anyway.

it still sucks in a big way , rich caaaaants ripping us off again.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here