Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Neville podcast clip - "I'm mesmerised at what I've seen today"

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A piece of Gary Neville's podcast on YouTube talking about the weekend's football.
I've attempted to 'clip' the segment to where he's reflecting on Brighton's performance at Arsenal.

(* You need to watch from 2.40 to 5.40)

“I’m mesmerised at what I’ve seen today”

“I cannot speak highly enough of what I’ve seen from Brighton today”

As a club we haven't quite arrived yet, but we're pulling into the station and the audience is growing.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the football world is slowly waking up to just how radical our football is.

Despite pinging out a corner in the first minute, or nearly passing it to Jesus on the edge of the box, we don’t care, there’s no recriminations, just keep on playing.

The difference v Everton was we made consecutive errors. We’re always going to make an error, but generally that error is not followed up by someone making another. Yesterday any errors were followed up with a brilliant tackle/interception or snuffing out the danger. That’s the mentality part, the unwavering concentration that is needed for us to play like we do.

All through commentary Neville was just in a state of awe at how good we were, especially out of the Arsenal press in our own third. He did choose the right words, it was mesmerising.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The commentator on the stream I was watching (or someone) made the excellent analysis that whilst we were structured when we didn't have the ball - when we got the ball, there were virtually no rules to follow, and we have complete freedom to do whatever we like - whether it works or not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The commentator on the stream I was watching (or someone) made the excellent analysis that whilst we were structured when we didn't have the ball - when we got the ball, there were virtually no rules to follow, and we have complete freedom to do whatever we like - whether it works or not.
100% wrong though isn’t he - for example listen to Dunk’s post-match interview after the Man U Game. It’s the opposite - there are set patterns for virtually every situation drilled in day after day in training.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interestingly though, going off recent interviews such as Dunk's after the MU win, there is relentless drills and practice on the training ground that we follow very clear processes when we move the ball. Redknapp said 'here's a nice clip of you playing the ball out' and Dunk replied 'that shouldn't have happened' and a perplexed Redknapp asked why not and Dunk explained in that situation the player available should have been Gilmour and that should have been the pass made.

My impression is that we are incredibly well drilled and coached so that many of our passes can be made 1 touch because in a certain pattern the player on the ball knows someone will be in a certain space - it is likely very structured. It looks like complete freedom on the ball, but that freedom comes from discipline and concentration - hence RDZ's comment after Everton, it needs a strict mentality to play like we do because whether on the ball or not, you have very specific jobs to do as play develops. Just my take on it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interestingly though, going off recent interviews such as Dunk's after the MU win, there is relentless drills and practice on the training ground that we follow very clear processes when we move the ball. Redknapp said 'here's a nice clip of you playing the ball out' and Dunk replied 'that shouldn't have happened' and a perplexed Redknapp asked why not and Dunk explained in that situation the player available should have been Gilmour and that should have been the pass made.

My impression is that we are incredibly well drilled and coached so that many of our passes can be made 1 touch because in a certain pattern the player on the ball knows someone will be in a certain space - it is likely very structured. It looks like complete freedom on the ball, but that freedom comes from discipline and concentration - hence RDZ's comment after Everton, it needs a strict mentality to play like we do because whether on the ball or not, you have very specific jobs to do as play develops. Just my take on it.

Definitely. It's De Zerbi's version of positional play https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/what-is-juego-de-posicion/

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn’t like him banging on about losing our players in the comms like it was a given. It’s not, Gary. And they won’t all go at once like you were suggesting.

Again, for me that performance overall wasn’t even in our top 5 this season.

In fact, I thought we were much better away at Spurs for example…

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Didn’t like him banging on about losing our players in the comms like it was a given. It’s not, Gary. And they won’t all go at once like you were suggesting.

RDZ said in post-match interview he expects to lose players, like Caicedo and Mac Allister... but others Mitoma, Ferguson, Estupinan would be better off staying with us and playing / learning.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very nice little segment there, and Neville gets it, we play without fear, we just do not care. We are a nightmare opponent right now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
RDZ said in post-match interview he expects to lose players, like Caicedo and Mac Allister... but others Mitoma, Ferguson, Estupinan would be better off staying with us and playing / learning.
Still not a given is it - It’s down to Bloom essentially. I can’t see us losing both of them this Summer - one only. The way Neville was banging on about it was like there would be a mass exodus. Also, it’s a bit arrogant - look how many of the ‘big clubs’ have been shite this season. We may finish above 2 of the ‘big 6’! Grass isn’t always greener.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It was quite funny watching Arsenal trying to play out from the back - they seemed to have virtually no idea where to go, or what the next pass would be. Beautifully summed up by Ramsdale and Trossard for our second goal. Arteta is no doubt a very good manager and coach, but it looks like he might need to take a few lessons from De Zerbi :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Still not a given is it - It’s down to Bloom essentially. I can’t see us losing both of them this Summer - one only. The way Neville was banging on about it was like there would be a mass exodus. Also, it’s a bit arrogant - look how many of the ‘big clubs’ have been shite this season. We may finish above 2 of the ‘big 6’! Grass isn’t always greener.

No... but the money is.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just shows how important our recruitment is and why January window incoming transfers are so few. To get a player in with the intelligence, quick learning, ability, understanding, fitness and right attitude must be almost impossible, hence our preference of sending players out on loan only to only certain clubs.

Ferguson is a big exception. He has brains and talent.

The signings if Gross and Veltman, and the patience with March are exceptional, complimented by the class of Lallana and Welbeck.

Then there’s the South American and Asian talent

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Martin Tyler sounds more enthusiastic in that video than he did when any of the three Brighton goals went in!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
100% wrong though isn’t he - for example listen to Dunk’s post-match interview after the Man U Game. It’s the opposite - there are set patterns for virtually every situation drilled in day after day in training.
This. If a plan is so good and intricate that it looks like pure creative freedom, it's probably quite a good tactic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My Albion heart 100% agrees with you, it will be sad to our genuinely world class centre-midfielders depart whenever that it is. I know what you mean, the likes of Neville are institutionalised from being at buy-success Manure ..... an obsession with money and raiding other clubs clouds the football thinking.

But these days I think more along the lines of Bloom-Barber (but without their dosh :lolol:) when it comes to players moving on ... fleece the buying club and a grand plan.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will need to listen to it again but I thought he said something more like ''be prepared to lose' rather than 'expect' which isn't quite the same thing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He was asked like do you expect to lose any of your key players, he said ‘maybe MacAllister, maybe caicedo’ then ‘it is better for mitoma and estepunian to stay with us to develop’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here