[Football] Gary Lineker BBC pay cut.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lineker is not the worst on TV who are getting a ''Free Ride'' - Both the BBC and ITV do it - The same people move from one show to another collecting money for nothing.

One minute they are on Pointless, then they are on Strictly then they are on The Chase and then they get their own spin off show then they are on some other Celebrity something or other.

Once they have been on one of these programmes. That is their ''Repertoire '' over we don't need to see them on something else. It's an absolute waste of time.

The one that does my head in is Giles Brandreth - He seems to get churned out on absolutely everything. What more is there to know about this guy. He's had nothing to offer for about 40 years but his Agent seems to get him on every TV show under the sun.

TV really needs ''Content'' now after lockdown - So this would be the perfect time for Producers to go out and earn their money - Go get some good Researchers out in the world to find interesting people with something new to tell us.

You (and I) are clearly not part of the target audience.

I know it may be hard to believe, as a regular contributor to and reader of such erudite media as NSC, but there is a whole other world out there, populated by what I would, in my condescending way, would call cheeseheads.

There is a huge amount of monetary churn associated with the cheeseheads, their interests and the products they buy, and the celebrities they admire and who inspire them to pursue their interests and buy theit endorsed product.
[MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]'s the expert on all this. Perhaps he can explain how it all works? ???

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Let's have a think about this.

It's his sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss............politics.

Non-racist, non-xenophobe? Clearly a Marxist, like BLM.

Linnicker OUT!

:facepalm:

(I knew something was up when I realised the OP was apparently promoting equal pay for women :lolol:)

'Trained' marxists don't you know. Though quite what they are 'trained' on, I am not sure. I assume the materialist conception of history mainly, but possible the theory of surplus value might come in handy when pulling down statues and organizing silent vigils.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You (and I) are clearly not part of the target audience.

I know it may be hard to believe, as a regular contributor to and reader of such erudite media as NSC, but there is a whole other world out there, populated by what I would, in my condescending way, would call cheeseheads.

There is a huge amount of monetary churn associated with the cheeseheads, their interests and the products they buy, and the celebrities they admire and who inspire them to pursue their interests and buy theit endorsed product.

[MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]'s the expert on all this. Perhaps he can explain how it all works? ???

I totally agree with everything you say here but don't you think people worship these people because that is all we are given.

If Producers weren't so lazy they could find that other content if they were only a bit more far reaching with their research ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Trained' marxists don't you know. Though quite what they are 'trained' on, I am not sure. I assume the materialist conception of history mainly, but possible the theory of surplus value might come in handy when pulling down statues and organizing silent vigils.

Thank you. I have edited my post.

A Trained Marxist is like a Trained Athlete. They have trainors who put them through their paces.

"Right, Marxism posits what? Quick, quick, now.

Errrr...

Too slow. It posits that the struggle between social classes, specifically between - between what?

The bourgeoisie?

Yes, and, and?

The capitalists?

No! The bourgeoisie are the capitalists....

The proletariat?

Yes the bloody proletariat. And what about this struggle?

I don't know.

You don't know? Look 'ere sonny, it defines economic relations in a capitalist economy and will inevitably lead to revolutionary communism! Now get out."

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Neil v Lineker on a 1-2-1 politics TV show if that is what G/L wants (but he won't and we know why) no double standards IMHO never heard Neil question Corbyn on should Spuds play one up front or two.:shrug:

Corbyn is a Gooner, so, he's probably not that bothered.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I totally agree with everything you say here but don't you think people worship these people because that is all we are given.

If Producers weren't so lazy they could find that other content if they were only a bit more far reaching with their research ?

I used to think that. I used to think that you could take a fat old racist in the pub and take him back in time and expose him to alternative comedy instead of Love Thy Neighbour; show him the delights of the Hayward Gallery; take him to the Marquee; etc., and he'd soon be watching channel 4, or at least, BBC1 after the news has finished.

But....no. I have tried all my life to introduce thick lazy people to new things but if they are Certain, it's a waste of time. You can lead a **** to culture but you can't make him drink. Or her.

I have a theory. It is my theory and it's mine. My theory is that we need a lot of undemanding people in our population right now, people who will get on with things and have simple tastes. It is in their genes. In fact they balk at challenging concepts, foreign food, indeed foreigners. Their genes survive because they are useful to the elite, and in their simple existence, fed by crap telly and dull celebrities, they are happy.

Don't knock it. Enjoy your arts and culture and ideas and books and let them who never read (or think) shovel metaphorical shit on your behalf. No point trying to help them. Eventually you'll get a dry slap.

I am part kidding of course. Not sure if I am 20% kidding or 80% kidding. It it is determined in part on how many Das Reich posts I've seen on a given day :lolol: :thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
How in the name of sanity is Zoe Ball getting £1.3 million per year.
Worse Radio 2 breakfast show presenter of all time, its like listening to junior choice with soppy boy/girl band bubble gum music.
Losing listeners hand over fist from when Chris Evens had it.
Unbelievable wages.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I used to think that. I used to think that you could take a fat old racist in the pub and take him back in time and expose him to alternative comedy instead of Love Thy Neighbour; show him the delights of the Hayward Gallery; take him to the Marquee; etc., and he'd soon be watching channel 4, or at least, BBC1 after the news has finished.

But....no. I have tried all my life to introduce thick lazy people to new things but if they are Certain, it's a waste of time. You can lead a **** to culture but you can't make him drink. Or her.

I have a theory. It is my theory and it's mine. My theory is that we need a lot of undemanding people in our population right now, people who will get on with things and have simple tastes. It is in their genes. In fact they balk at challenging concepts, foreign food, indeed foreigners. Their genes survive because they are useful to the elite, and in their simple existence, fed by crap telly and dull celebrities, they are happy.

Don't knock it. Enjoy your arts and culture and ideas and books and let them who never read (or think) shovel metaphorical shit on your behalf. No point trying to help them. Eventually you'll get a dry slap.

I am part kidding of course. Not sure if I am 20% kidding or 80% kidding. It it is determined in part on how many Das Reich posts I've seen on a given day :lolol: :thumbsup:

I am a contradiction to that then.

I was brought up in a little Council Estate. The interest of everyone around me was.

Religious Bigotry
Football
The Bookies
Alcohol
Sex

And exactly in that order.

I only got into things like Politics and Art and Social Justice from about 26 years of age. And as soon as I did I couldn't get enough of trying to find out more and educate myself more.

I didn't miss it as a youngster because I thought my life was quite fulfilled. Then when I started to go beyond my own boundaries I really wanted to find out more about everything.

I truly feel that if mainstream terrestrial TV gave more people like my younger self other options then people would embrace the knowledge.

I just think that's how Governments and the Media control the Masses by simply depriving them of a fuller Education on a wider range of subjects.

I am a perfect example of going beyond the Boundaries of the life that I anticipated I might lead as a youngster.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am a contradiction to that then.

I was brought up in a little Council Estate. The interest of everyone around me was.

Religious Bigotry
Football
The Bookies
Alcohol
Sex

And exactly in that order.

I only got into things like Politics and Art and Social Justice from about 26 years of age. And as soon as I did I couldn't get enough of trying to find out more and educate myself more.

I didn't miss it as a youngster because I thought my life was quite fulfilled. Then when I started to go beyond my own boundaries I really wanted to find out more about everything.

I truly feel that if mainstream terrestrial TV gave more people like my younger self other options then people would embrace the knowledge.

I just think that's how Governments and the Media control the Masses by simply depriving them of a fuller Education on a wider range of subjects.

I am a perfect example of going beyond the Boundaries of the life that I anticipated I might lead as a youngster.

Harry's actually from Easthill but don't tell anyone. You'd be amazed what kids from Portslade can do with a little bit of encouragement (obviously I had it harder than him !). But trust me, that's not what he's on about :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the main presenter on the most popular programme on the most popular sport in the UK with the highest viewing figures is paid a few quid ? I'm outraged :lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The thing for me is that his, and other personalities, views are no more valid than mine but he is in a position to influence people because he is well known. In my opinion he should stick to the sports stuff on his social media. If he wants to spout political stuff then set up a separate personal social media account which is just for his friends to follow. That's how it is for the rest of us.

So I guess Marcus Rashford campaigning for free school dinners gets up your nose?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

++++ to culture ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is the hatred of Lineker due to his (undeniably exorbitant) salary, or his politics?

If a prominent BBC presenter was on the same salary, but regularly Tweeted pro-Brexit and anti-immigrant or anti-Greta Thunberg views instead, I bet there wouldn't be the same rejoicing or sneering.

Hypocrisy, too, that he's being 'reminded' of his 'responsibilities' over political Tweets at the same time as the Tories are claiming to be defenders of free speech against the 'fascist Left' and 'cancel culture'.

I guess prominent public figures should only express personal opinions which would be agreed with by Daily Mail readers.

I liked him. Less so now. Like all 'personalities', the moment they're everywhere and then start using their influence on lots of fronts, they become irritating. Stick to football, Gary, and more people would like you. He's not exactly got old skool class. None of them have, with the possible exception of Gabby Logan. And she's a BIRD! :whistle:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So I guess Marcus Rashford campaigning for free school dinners gets up your nose?

No. But banging on about Leicester City all the time on a supposedly impartial football programme does.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
My hatred for Lineker stems from him being a smug arrogant ****.
Who on earth cares about the political ideologies of a has been out of date football pundit hack? Sad state of affairs if you ask me.
Should be let go for being **** at his job, but he keeps popping up everywhere infesting football like cancer. **** *** Lineker.

(Sorry, rant over.)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No. But banging on about Leicester City all the time on a supposedly impartial football programme does.

Good for you, but not relevant to the post I quoted, which was regarding celebs not straying away from their field of expertise in their comments. As Lineker is a fan and former player of Leicester City, I think it would count as within his area of expertise.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good for you, but not relevant to the post I quoted, which was regarding celebs not straying away from their field of expertise in their comments. As Lineker is a fan and former player of Leicester City, I think it would count as within his area of expertise.

Calm down dear.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I liked him. Less so now. Like all 'personalities', the moment they're everywhere and then start using their influence on lots of fronts, they become irritating. Stick to football, Gary, and more people would like you. He's not exactly got old skool class. None of them have, with the possible exception of Gabby Logan. And she's a BIRD! :whistle:

You would only know what he’s saying about politics if you followed him on Twitter. He doesn’t bring his views to the tv screen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is Vanessa Feltz still doing on TV that warrants a £400k salary??!!

Multi quote failure.

She presents the very early breakfast show on Radio 2 (or did) and has done for a long time. She used to hand over to Terry Wogan,
I’m not sure she does much on tv apart from guest appearances here & there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports