Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garth Brooks - Wonderful news

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Oh boy. Garth is back! First new album in 13 years and about to announce a global tour. For anyone too young to remember, Frutos maybe, this guys shows were spectacular beyond spectacular and he is the biggest selling artist of all time. Looks like he's chubbed up a bit, but forget the country tag, this is one live show not to be missed.

Biggest selling artist of all time?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Biggest selling artist of all time?

Yup http://www.riaa.com/newsitem.php?ne...age=3&id=8FF954D7-5344-561D-1C5A-3F749538C86C

Though it's, naturally, not that simple. There are various methods for calculating record sales, and some of them involve things that weren't used or certified in the early years of Elvis's career. Even Garth, while flattered by the tag, admits it more a bit of business hype rather than an accurate achievement, that it is most likely Elvis.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yup http://www.riaa.com/newsitem.php?ne...age=3&id=8FF954D7-5344-561D-1C5A-3F749538C86C

Though it's, naturally, not that simple. There are various methods for calculating record sales, and some of them involve things that weren't used or certified in the early years of Elvis's career. Even Garth, while flattered by the tag, admits it more a bit of business hype rather than an accurate achievement, that it is most likely Elvis.

That article actually says he's the best selling solo artist.

On most lists he's not even in the top ten best selling artists.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As someone in their late twenties should I be aware of who he is/his songs?

I know of him but that is genuinely as far as my knowledge goes...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That article actually says he's the best selling solo artist.

On most lists he's not even in the top ten best selling artists.

That's what I thought. He can't be best selling artist of all time.

I think it's a case of two things, really

1) With no clearly recognised official measure, something like this will always be open to twisting it however best fits the hype you want to create (like being 'the number one kebab shop in town')

2) It can be argued that 'biggest selling artist' implies "solo act" as "The Beatles" aren't an artist, they are an act or a group. So, being the biggest selling solo artist is to be the biggest selling artist.

While I am a big fan of Garth's, this isn't really a big issue to me - I don't care where he is in the list of biggest selling acts/artists/people/etc. I'm just trying to explain why he is/can be referred to as 'biggest selling artist' - just remember to take the tag with a pinch of salt.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
His new album was released earlier this week. Anyone else get it?

I have listened to it a couple of times. Seems to start quite Rock-ish, with very little country tinge to it, almost like it would fit on a chris gaines album, but then goes a bit more country (or garth-type country, at least). There's a couple of sentimental songs with parental bents, there's one that seems in keeping with 'we shall be free'. It seems more in line with Scarecrow than his earlier stuff, but I don't think it is as good as that album. Not yet, anyway. It might grow on me more, but Scarecrow was an instant enjoyment.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
There was a good programme on BBC4 last night with Bob Harris travelling around Nashville.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Has he given up on the football punditry ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here