Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garry Nelson - why does he seem to have been forgotten?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Great player.
However the last goal I saw him score, ten years after those glory days, nearly helped to kill us.
Freezing cold New Year's Day at Torquay when it was the Dennis-Law-for-City-at-Old-Trafford moment, as in the last minute he rolled in their winner against us......and broke our hearts.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That team could do a job in the Championship now. Dare I say it, better than the current lot??

No way.... In fact only 3 would definitely get in the team with a couple of close calls.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Which 3, and who would they replace?

1. John Keeley / Stockdale (close this one )
2. Bruno Saltor
3. Bong (although Dublin would push him close)
4. Beram Kayal
5. Dunk/ Greer / BFG over an ordinary Isaacs.
6. As above Gatting was on his way out and made Greer look quick.
7. Garry Nelson
8. Dale Stephens
9. Any of our forwards over Bremner.
10. Dean Wilkins
11. Knockert

Formation would be slightly different though I suppose.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
1. John Keeley / Stockdale (close this one )
2. Bruno Saltor
3. Bong (although Dublin would push him close)
4. Beram Kayal
5. Dunk/ Greer / BFG
6. As above Gatting was on his way out and made Greer look quick.
7. Garry Nelson
8. Dale Stephens
9. Any of our forwards over Bremner.
10. Dean Wilkins
11. Knockert

Interesting.

I would definitely have Gatting over any current CB. Goldson would be the only one I would even consider. Interesting what you say about Gatting - after he left us he played 64 games for Charlton between 1991 and 1993, all in the second tier. We were a division lower, so I don't think he was anyway near past his best in 1988. Curbishley played in the top flight, and whilst Kayal is good, the highest he has played is the Scottish Pub League.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
The man's a legend and as for Kevin Bremner... My first Albion match we won 4-1 KB scored a hatrick and his brother was the Birmingham captain! Great days John Keeley still my all time favourite Albion keeper.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
As a goalscorer he was up there with Wardy & Bobby. He was also a lovely bloke - met him a couple of times when he lived in Worthing. A true Albion legend.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
The man's a legend and as for Kevin Bremner... My first Albion match we won 4-1 KB scored a hatrick and his brother was the Birmingham captain! Great days John Keeley still my all time favourite Albion keeper.

Agree re Keeley. Different class he was. I saw him in Montefiore Road when the transfer rumours where happening about him going to Oldham. I told him not to go, didn't listen did he!!!
Kevin Bremner, loved him to bits, 110% every week.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Interesting.

I would definitely have Gatting over any current CB. Goldson would be the only one I would even consider. Interesting what you say about Gatting - after he left us he played 64 games for Charlton between 1991 and 1993, all in the second tier. We were a division lower, so I don't think he was anyway near past his best in 1988. Curbishley played in the top flight, and whilst Kayal is good, the highest he has played is the Scottish Pub League.

Curbishley was past his sell by date but what you must remember is this side is competing at the top of the second tier which is a much better division now then it was then. That was a third tier team who although went on under Lloyd to a play off final......the Nelsons of this world were not figuring. Being told by Lloyd whilst having a whizz at the urinal though that you were out did seem a bit harsh as Nelson said in his book.
All good fun though looking back and comparing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here