Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Thomas Documentary - Homophobia in Football

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'd love to think that if our town did not have such a significant LGBT population then we'd be a club that was far more progressive. That's an impossible scenario to imagine, but one knows that homophobia exists everywhere. I know that's a no sh*t Sherlock comment.

this

Homphobia is everywhere . Every working environment , restaurant , pub , daily life. A lot of people rightly or wrongly just will always be this way.

In many groups of lads , you hear one of the biggest insults they give out in anger , confrontation or baiting mates is to question their sexuality. (and this is in one the most tolerant contries in the world)

I don't think this will ever be sorted in our life times

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because a lot of men always have the attitude that all women that play sport are gay.

There is a thread halfway down this page, about the Women's Euro 2017 tournament, in which the England team have just topped their group with 3 wins from 3.

The thread tag (until such time as I just deleted it) was 'rug munchers'.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There is a thread halfway down this page, about the Women's Euro 2017 tournament, in which the England team have just topped their group with 3 wins from 3.

The thread tag (until such time as I just deleted it) was 'rug munchers'.

On the women's euro threads that have been a number of disparaging and misogynistic comments. Hell, they happen on lots of threads. It's up to the crowd to call out sexism, racism and homophobia. Largely, I think the NSC crowd do call each other out and the moderators do a good job of managing the community when appropriate and allowing the crowd to self-manage the rest of the time. I still think we can do more of course.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's definitely less of the usual tedious crap around- last season I genuinely feel like I heard fewer choruses of Does Your Boyfriend.... than in previous years. The obvious exceptions being against certain, typically northern clubs. It also seems to happen at small, lower league sides (Southend in the cup the other year was a prime example).

The mere fact that the Albion are in the Premier League now (and thus matter more...) means that any abuse heard at games will be highlighted in the media, and treated like it's some sort of shocking new thing. It might, therefore, mean it will slowly start to become socially unacceptable. I hope.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
this

Homphobia is everywhere . Every working environment , restaurant , pub , daily life. A lot of people rightly or wrongly just will always be this way.

In many groups of lads , you hear one of the biggest insults they give out in anger , confrontation or baiting mates is to question their sexuality. (and this is in one the most tolerant contries in the world)

But I do think things are better than they were, surely.

Gordon Taylor comes across terribly in that video, by the way (just got to that bit!). Doddery old fool. Amazing that he's the representative of all English & Welsh footballers. He and the Equality representative both looked like they were struggling to come up with any sort of coherent answer to Gareth Thomas's questions.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A very good documentary, with some good points well made. . Its a shame the responses to the code of practice that was sent to all 92 clubs was not revealed. It would be very interesting to see which clubs would have signed up to it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whilst he gets a lot of stick, some deserved, one of the few players to actively stand up for the campaign was Joey Barton

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just reached the bit where Thomas logs on to the Palace forum (Holmesdale.net?).

I bet a few of them crapped themselves when he posted in response to their comments. I wonder if it's been picked up on their site that this is now on a TV documentary? :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
this

I don't agree. It doesn't exist in my working environment and I know a number of openly gay colleagues. If anyone showed homophobic behavior or language they'd be out the door; we champion diversity and the benefits it brings from many different angles. My company might differ from others but it's a sure sign of progression.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Update: they have.

Here's the page.

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=167556&page=1

Not one of his abusers had the balls to turn up and meet him as he asked. Also, a whole load of denial on the updated Holmesdale thread, many claiming that the BBC have focused on a single thread and made out that homophobia on the site is limited to that. There are probably thousands of posts on thousands of Albion related threads containing references to "bumming", or "benders". Open your eyes, tossers. There are a few decent people on there, including but not limited to members of the Proud & Palace group. But far, far too many twats. One of them suggests "Gareth Thomas should be ashamed of himself". For making this documentary. Another suggests it's just 5 posts out of many thousands that cause offence :ohmy:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Don't normally watch these sort of things as it doesn't interest me to be honest but i did. Basically the footballing bodies are burying they're heads in the sand over this.

Oh and Gareth Thomas. You can't help but admire the courageous man. What a fabulous ambassador he is.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't agree. It doesn't exist in my working environment and I know a number of openly gay colleagues. If anyone showed homophobic behavior or language they'd be out the door; we champion diversity and the benefits it brings from many different angles. My company might differ from others but it's a sure sign of progression.

I agree. I don't recall any time in my career of over 30 years where anyone has shown signs of homophobia, and I have worked with openly gay men and women, plus, presumably, a number who were not open about it. I don't think it's ever been an issue - and this is in a rather laddish environment of city trading floors. It possibly did happen, but I don't remember it at all. If it was me, I don't think I would have had any problem being out at work.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Forgot to mention - Well done Cardiff City. You have certainly appear to come along way since moving to your new home.

Ninian Park is the only ground i felt intimidated when leaving your ground and the police and stewards were turning a blind eye.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
I find that on most Tottenham forums homophobic & racist remarks/comments are rightly & quickly called out. Sexist & mysoginistic remarks are still regarded as 'bantz'. There are an enlightened few of us that try & combat it but without a great deal of success.If you look on almost any football forum there is at least one pinned sexist thread (usually marked NSFW).

From a personal point of view i couldn't give a monkeys if a Spurs player came out. Or a player from an opposition side for that matter.

And i'm an old dinosaur.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
One day it will become a hate crime to call someone 'a bit precious', oh blandness I await thee.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I thought you worked from home? [emoji3]

Seriously, there are many workplaces where it is unacceptable. Some are mentioned in the documentary. That's to be applauded. Often, the comments and behaviour of the few get modified. It becomes more subtle. That's still not acceptable, but it shows it is being addressed. The trick is to keep addressing it, to keep educating ourselves. We are lucky in that you and I work in places where we can keep that attitude active. We know others are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't believe that palace are more homophobic than any other average club, they just happen to be our rivals and use it as a (shitty) stick to beat us with (see 6 fingered Norwich fans, sheep shagging Cardiff fans, bin dipping Liverpool fans etc for further reference)....

I don't believe that palace are more homophobic than any other average club, they just happen to be our rivals and use it as a (shitty) stick to beat us with (see 6 fingered Norwich fans, sheep shagging Cardiff fans, bin dipping Liverpool fans etc for further reference)....

This.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Building on that point, we refer to them as 'pikeys' and caravan dwellers etc. - being dispassionate and boiling this down to the bear essentials, we're not exactly covering ourselves in glory there are we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here