Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate and the England job

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I'd give it to him. I like the bloke, he's English, he's worked with the younger players, they played some really good football tonight and yes they threw it away at the end but it's a friendly and he'll learn from it. He showed passion and desire so why not?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not convinced, especially after the Malta game and the lucky draw in Slovenia. Short term contract would be sensible as there is no other candidates at the moment.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
In all honesty who would want the job ? On a hiding to nothing as England manager, scumbag press will ruin them, always have and always will !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were 2-0 up at 89 mins....and drew 2-2...can you imagine a decent team throwing away a two goal lead like that. We cannot keep the ball. Same old shit.

If that had been a competitive game, we wouldn't have changed keepers at half time.
Your attitude is epitomised by your final sentence. I prefer to watch each game as it comes. I thought we played some good stuff which looked promising, & wasn't the same old crap.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If that had been a competitive game, we wouldn't have changed keepers at half time.
Your attitude is epitomised by your final sentence. I prefer to watch each game as it comes. I thought we played some good stuff which looked promising, & wasn't the same old crap.

I've watched a number of the u21 games that Southgate has been in charge of. He is a dull manager, with limited ideas and has no clue how to use good players. He is a yes man and will not take this England team forward in any meaningful way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Who else is there? I'd like to think that there is an Eddie Jones figure (currently transforming England's rugby team) but I for one can't think of one. I'm not someone who would automatically rule out foreign coaches - although a fluent English speaker would be nice -but I just don't think we'd get one with the track record that would suggest he'd be transformative. And I think it does help to 'know the English game'. Southgate has conducted himself well and the team under him has got OK results. We are never going to be world beaters (I've given up on that one) so let's just settle for marginal improvements, a decent (in terms of conduct and competence) manager who isn't going to crash and burn and has a 2 year window to move the thing in the right direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here