Gareth Barry.. a holding player???

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
No-one seems to have mentioned how bad Gareth Barry was.. and not just against Germany. Capello was triumphant about Barry being fit and able to play after USA, but he might as well not have bothered. England had Carrick available after all.

With Oezil playing in the hole between the main midfield line and the back 4, a certain G Barry was supposed to be sitting in there as the holding player protecting the back 4.

Posted missing all game!

Not even the pundits really picked up on this in any detail. They did identify Oezil as the key German player to hurt England, and he did, but can someone explain why Barry was not there to pick up Oezil's runs? I thought that was what a holding player was for. :shrug::censored:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Didn't look fit to me, this was especially shown when Ozil cruised past him like a cheetah.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I agree with you Marshy, he didn't look vaguely match-fit to me. Having said that, I don't understand how he can be singled out as the fall guy. If you have a midfield that are completely outclassed & overrun; and a defence that play like a bunch of pissed-up strangers; and an opposition that attack with pace, skill & countless options, what the hell is one holding midfielder supposed to do exactly?

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Barry was more interested in pushing forward and not sitting a bit deeper, he lost the ball on the edge of their area for one of their goals....its another case of a player not playing in their natural position they play week in week out for their club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Barry was at fault for giving the ball away for their 3rd and his inability to defend the break for the 4th goal was shocking. He made another error in giving the ball away stupidly against Slovenia, which would have cost us as dearly if it hadn't been for some frantic defending. All in all he's been one of the worst England players during this tournament.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I agree with you Marshy, he didn't look vaguely match-fit to me. Having said that, I don't understand how he can be singled out as the fall guy. If you have a midfield that are completely outclassed & overrun; and a defence that play like a bunch of pissed-up strangers; and an opposition that attack with pace, skill & countless options, what the hell is one holding midfielder supposed to do exactly?

I agree to a point, but if Oezil was such a danger that even Alan Hansen could see before the game, then Barry's role should really have been to snuff him out. Or even play both Barry and Carrick in a midfield five. That is all. :mad:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I agree to a point, but if Oezil was such a danger that even Alan Hansen could see before the game, then Barry's role should really have been to snuff him out. Or even play both Barry and Carrick in a midfield five. That is all. :mad:

I don't think Barry had the ability to snuff out Oezil yesterday, quite honestly, but this makes your point about playing 5 in midfield all the more poignant. Capello's a 4-4-2 man though, innit... :rolleyes:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Barry didnt do well and was probably unfit but is currently better than Carrick. I dont understand why he was the man closest to Ozil when they broke. Surely they knew he was fast (which Barry can never be accused of) and just needed to organise properly. Something that no-one on the pitch seemed capable of doing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
With Oezil playing in the hole between the main midfield line and the back 4, a certain G Barry was supposed to be sitting in there as the holding player protecting the back 4.

Posted missing all game!

what back four? Barry cant hold in front of nothing and when he made mistakes they were highlighted by lack of anyone else being anywhere nearby. like our El Abd season before last, its easy to spot a player and blame them when they are covering others failings. i dont think he was great but being left as the lone defender was never going to work.

So why play Barry ahead of Carrick? Does Carrick not do a job for United in there?

:lolol: yeah good one. Carrick is a great passer of the ball but certainly not a holding player. watch some MotD to understand why Barry is ahead of Carrick.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember when Barry was heralded as the saviour of our 'Left sided problem' a few years back and now he is the crucial holding midfielder. We have a ready made re-placement for when David James calls it a day surely ?

Though to be fair a holding midfielder would normally have defenders behind him when a team breaks.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What is the point of Capello taking players that he has no intention of playing. He persisted with Barry when he was clearly not up to it, and if he wasn't confident in Carrick then why take him?
He could easily taken Hargreaves who is a bulldog in the middle, lacks skill and ability but will makes sure the player doesn't walk round him, or he could have taken Wes Brown who can play right back and can defend, he is also a much better option in the middle then Carragher or Upson

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wasnt it Barry who gave the ball away badly upfield which almost let Slovenia in which would have knocked us out a game earlier

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Just not mobile enough for me - Hargreaves is the perfect 'holding' player, he's no Pele but he's very mobile, can tackle, can control and pass it simple. That's all you want this position to do.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I don't think Barry had the ability to snuff out Oezil yesterday, quite honestly, but this makes your point about playing 5 in midfield all the more poignant. Capello's a 4-4-2 man though, innit... :rolleyes:

I'm not just singling out Gareth Barry for criticism per se, as it must be down to the coach to be flexible and astute enough to be able to anticipate the problems the team might face, be able to adapt his selection policy and formation, and bring in appropriate players for a particular role. I think this is where our friend Mr Capello was shown to be lacking.

:tantrum: :wozza:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports