Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you spray the actual green leaves, or the bare ground?
Sorry to bring you bad news, but you will have loads of embryonic baby garlic bulbs that you wouldn't have seen. They can lay dormant in the soil for 6 years. You will probably have a lovely new crop next year.
The weedkiller you used is for lawns, which means it will kill the broad-leaved weeds, and leave the grass alone. With garlic being monocotyledonous, (one shoot emerges from the seed and not pairs of leaves), the same as grass, it may be a little more resistant to what you've used.
Garlic will die down on its own accord soon, so you may have to wait until next spring to see how successful you've been. I'm not a big advocate of chemicals nowadays, but I would suggest that you try Glyphosate on any re-growth next year, instead. Desperate times mean desperate measures?
A few photos of what you've told us would be helpful.

Cheers, I genuinely didn't get too 'excited' thinking there would be a payback.

I watered it onto green leaves and it wiped out them out almost immediately, leaving quite a lot of bare patches so not really got any photos.

Here's half of today's work.

Before
IMG_20220528_142702_356~2.jpg

After
IMG_20220528_160551_825~3.jpg

I did dig up a pooh load of red spiral bulbs, what were they?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Cheers, I genuinely didn't get too 'excited' thinking there would be a payback.

I watered it onto green leaves and it wiped out them out almost immediately, leaving quite a lot of bare patches so not really got any photos.

Here's half of today's work.

Before
View attachment 148368

After
View attachment 148369

I did dig up a pooh load of red spiral bulbs, what were they?

It's beginning to take shape. You've also got some nice Convulvulous to erradicate too. All you need now is some Japanese Knotweed, and you've got the set!
Can you post a couple of pictures of the red spiral bulbs?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's beginning to take shape. You've also got some nice Convulvulous to erradicate too. All you need now is some Japanese Knotweed, and you've got the set!

Did he have Three Cornered Garlic ? that's a right ******* !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nah they're outside and I can't be arsed!
What and where is the convulvulous?

Can I put anything on the freshly dug borders to kill off the pervasive shite.
Oh and I do have every intention to pay back with green gardening once the shite is gone.

Gonna take on board the wild garden theme, that was mentioned the other day, for round the corner.
But as it would cost me £250 to make that area look untouched I'll end up doing that by seed!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
He doesn't need knotweed as it sounds like the red spiral bulbs are crocosmia. You are being introduced to the world of weeds that are virtually indestructable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS - back in a minute.

You don't deserve me, esp as none of you have said how great The Strat is looking.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
He doesn't need knotweed as it sounds like the red spiral bulbs are crocosmia. You are being introduced to the world of weeds that are virtually indestructable.

Good effort without the visual clue. We'll soon see the evidence as there's a 15 minute delay with the football!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A rouge 'garlic' from outside the garden

IMG_20220528_200051_774~2.jpg

Red spiral bulb

IMG_20220528_195914_168~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nah they're outside and I can't be arsed!
What and where is the convulvulous?

Can I put anything on the freshly dug borders to kill off the pervasive shite.
Oh and I do have every intention to pay back with green gardening once the shite is gone.

Gonna take on board the wild garden theme, that was mentioned the other day, for round the corner.
But as it would cost me £250 to make that area look untouched I'll end up doing that by seed!

The convulvulous is immediately to the right behind your buckets of mysterious fare in your first photo. The roots are like spaghetti. If you try to dig it out, you only need to leave a 1mm bit behind to produce a new plant!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 148370

Red spiral bulb

View attachment 148371

Crocosmia it is! Well done Dolph Ins.
The clover-like stuff is Oxalis. Another b****** of a weed to get rid of.
However, the Crocosmia have very nice flowers and can be dug out if you keep at it, although little baby ones will appear as time goes by.
Christ, that's some collection of pernicious weeds you've got there Stat!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The convulvulous is immediately to the right behind your buckets of mysterious fare in your first photo. The roots are like spaghetti. If you try to dig it out, you only need to leave a 1mm bit behind to produce a new plant!

They ain't my buckets, grrrrrrrrrr.

Them and about 4 full skips worth of left shite is why I want to eradicate EVERYTHING the previous owners left at my house.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sounds like you just need Marestail for the full set Stat ?...I'd be tempted to use nuclear weapons followed by a concrete casement..could keep things in check for a couple of years.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

View attachment 148370

Red spiral bulb

View attachment 148371

If I cold put my three pen'worth in, that 'garlic' looks like allium triquetrum - a pain to eradicate but the 'Red spiral bulb' looks like a gladiolus corm. They grow a new one every year on top of the old one.
I would suggest keeping the top corm and replant it to see what comes up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only if you want to get rid of it. That 1 has orange flowers and quite tatty leaves but there are some lovely crocosmias.

Does it also have a big cumbersome tuber lying on top of the garden?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that I've ever seen , just the corms underground. I still grow the bog standard orange 1 (looks like those corms are) but trying to get rid of them is a nightmare. Good luck.

If got this stuff growing on top of the garden, where I pull up the bulbs, I just assumed they were one of the same

IMG_20220529_083639_015~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We have a couple of varieties up here, one is Lucifer - It's lovely but it's rampant, I could make a fortune splitting and selling :)

We've got that one, and last autumn we bought some Emily McKenzie. That's an aboslute corker of a Crocosmia. Grows to about 18", has big orange flowers with a browny-red centre.

Attachments

• Crocosmia EM.jpg
    Crocosmia EM.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 39

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here