Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was weeding out the constant germination of bittercress, when I chanced upon some small somniferum seedlings. Closer inspection of the borders revealed a plethora of these. So, in summary, I reckon I too had poppy seeds last year:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***Poppy seeds update***

I've offloaded 4 (four) 5ft's worth of seeds so far.
Just another kagillion to go.

Anyhoo

The shite that was planted 2 weeks ago overall is looking good, lots of new growth already.

Except - you all knew there was an 'except'.

The noodles, I've no idea what plant it was but they looked like noodles - nothing.
and my reason for writing.

The climbing rose.

The rose root looked fine.
There are 3 stems coming off it, each of those already had small shoots of growth.
I dug a big hole.
Dropped it in.
Pointed it too the wall.
Gave it a good drink.
Surrounded it with poppy seeds.
Have kept it damp, since. (it's all getting a quick splash 2 evenings out of 3)

Instantly the small shoots turned black.
The tips of the stems are blackening (dunno if they were already like that or not)

I'm guessing it should be too soon to tell if it's alright, what with it being just over a week.
It's just with most of the other stuff looking so positive, it's probably making the roses adverse reaction look even worse

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
***Poppy seeds update***

I've offloaded 4 (four) 5ft's worth of seeds so far.
Just another kagillion to go.

Anyhoo

The shite that was planted 2 weeks ago overall is looking good, lots of new growth already.

Except - you all knew there was an 'except'.

The noodles, I've no idea what plant it was but they looked like noodles - nothing.
and my reason for writing.

The climbing rose.

The rose root looked fine.
There are 3 stems coming off it, each of those already had small shoots of growth.
I dug a big hole.
Dropped it in.
Pointed it too the wall.
Gave it a good drink.
Surrounded it with poppy seeds.
Have kept it damp, since. (it's all getting a quick splash 2 evenings out of 3)

Instantly the small shoots turned black.
The tips of the stems are blackening (dunno if they were already like that or not)

I'm guessing it should be too soon to tell if it's alright, what with it being just over a week.
It's just with most of the other stuff looking so positive, it's probably making the roses adverse reaction look even worse

Any photos?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any photos?
Of the poppy seeds?

Nah I don't think we're at the photo stage, just yet.
I'm kind of hoping the reply is:-

'steady on, roses are slow starters, give it a few more weeks'.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Of the poppy seeds?

Nah I don't think we're at the photo stage, just yet.
I'm kind of hoping the reply is:-

'steady on, roses are slow starters, give it a few more weeks'.

Roses should be revving up now. The black bits could be a bit of frost damage, especially if they lived in a greenhouse before you adopted it. If that is the case, it will recover. It's a bit early for Black-fly.
How's Chris?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Roses should be revving up now. The black bits could be a bit of frost damage, especially if they lived in a greenhouse before you adopted it. If that is the case, it will recover. It's a bit early for Black-fly.
How's Chris?

Cheers, it hadn't occurred to me that although it's not been cold, it's still probably considerably cooler than where it was.

He's still out playing with his friends, breakfast (lunch and tea) won't be served up at l'hotel du Stat for a couple of months yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've been growing veg from seeds inside in a heated propagator. They come up fine (in the main), but then go all leggy on me. Google informs me that that's because they need more light. I'm planning to start again with some of them. Google also tells me that a T5 HO blue-light heavy rig is probably the best low-ish cost route for me to start with. All OK so far?

I can find plenty of bulbs and bulb units that fit the bill, but, blow me down, I can't find anything I can hang the unit from which allows me to adjust the height above the seedlings as they grow. I don't want to screw the light unit into the ceiling! I'm after some sort of frame I can hang a unit from that will then allow me to adjust the height of the unit as the seedlings grow - any suggestions please?

Many thanks...

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
What veg are you growing inside? Do you have any areas for sowing/growing outside?

I'd make up a frame out of wood and have the light suspended on string or wire. If the framework is high enough, you could just raise the lights by readjusting the wires

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What veg are you growing inside? Do you have any areas for sowing/growing outside?

I'd make up a frame out of wood and have the light suspended on string or wire. If the framework is high enough, you could just raise the lights by readjusting the wires

We’re just growing initial seedlings inside, prior to hardening off in the greenhouses, prior to planting in the veg plot. It’s the initial seedlings being very leggy that I’m trying to avoid.

So far, we’ve propagated aubergine, tomato, cucumber, tomatillo, and peppers...

If my DIY skills were up to making a frame, that’s what I’d do; I fear they aren’t really!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I sowed the same seeds in an unheated greenhouse 6 weeks ago. You have a heated propagator and hopefully lids or plastic bags to cover. I have had no problem and seedlings are strong.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I sowed the same seeds in an unheated greenhouse 6 weeks ago. You have a heated propagator and hopefully lids or plastic bags to cover. I have had no problem and seedlings are strong.

Maybe I should just plant the replacement seeds in the greenhouse then...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here