Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Digressing from flora. Monty Don’s golden retrievers are gorgeous, sadly one of them Nellie passed away a week ago, RIP.

IMG_0892.png

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hello - I need to lay a base for a greenhouse. Would these: https://www.diy.com/departments/pla...m-pack-of-4/5060192725094_BQ.prd?storeId=1018 filled with shingle do the job, or should I lay slabs? Both will end up costing about £150 I guess, but the single and plastic base looks simpler.
I have slabs and the reason I preferred that is I don't get any weeds or anything growing up through it into the greenhouse. Its easier to sweep out as well when ever I need to clean up all the potting mix I've invariably dropped. I find slabs better in my boots too.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Hello - I need to lay a base for a greenhouse. Would these: https://www.diy.com/departments/pla...m-pack-of-4/5060192725094_BQ.prd?storeId=1018 filled with shingle do the job, or should I lay slabs? Both will end up costing about £150 I guess, but the single and plastic base looks simpler.
I have only put one greenhouse up. I built a perimeter wall for it to sit on , 4 inches of concrete footing and one course of brick, frame screwed into it. Concrete path in the middle. That went through the big storm of 1987 without loosing any glass . A solid concrete base might work but might be too hard to do in one go.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I have only put one greenhouse up. I built a perimeter wall for it to sit on , 4 inches of concrete footing and one course of brick, frame screwed into it. Concrete path in the middle. That went through the big storm of 1987 without loosing any glass . A solid concrete base might work but might be too hard to do in one go.
I'm not convinced I can put slabs down on sand, that sounds well outside of my skillset!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm not convinced I can put slabs down on sand, that sounds well outside of my skillset!
What is your skillset? . I am not saying using slabs, personally I think slabs on sand is nota good solution and doing levels is harder than say doinga brick course or indeed a concrete footing as all you need to do is get the wooden frame level and fill to the top. What type of green house is it and how big?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This morning I have mostly been mowing the lawn!!

Now before all you 'know nothings' tell me I'm wrong to do such a thing on 23.12, let me explain.

A - My penultimate mow used up a lot of mowers.
2 - I was unable to source another mower before the last mow window closed.
C - My neighbour did said mow and his lawn now looks shite.
D - I've had a mower locked and loaded for over a month, a month of rain.
E - You're a know nothing and I am right.

Peace out amateurs, see you on the other side, when we will mostly be talking Tamarisk.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Now before all you 'know nothings' tell me I'm wrong to do such a thing on 23.12, let me explain.

Peace out amateurs, see you on the other side, when we will mostly be talking Tamarisk.

I did my last mow in early November now its a bit too long but not long enough for a late mow.

Aa long as you didn't cut it too short I'm sure it'll be fine. Our lawn recovered well from all sorts of off season abuse.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Nought wrong with that, I should have mown ours last weekend, its been warm enough to. So you'd be fine, as long as its not a boggy marsh, and not cut too short it'll be fine ...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Grass grows if the temp is above 5c, which it has been for most of the Autumn and so far this winter (bar the short cold snap). Your grass will be growing. Mowing it now (set quite high) to keep it tidy for the rest of the winter is a smart move as long as the wheels aren't cutting into the lawn and leaving tracks.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I cut back about a third of our Fig (brown turkey) last winter and the crop was depleted by more than a third. Should I do more this winter or leave it for a year? Ta.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Mowed my friend's lawn last Thursday. You can mow all year if it needs it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Because of the mild weather, I seriously need to cut the grass. However, there are a multitude of christmas decorations adorning the green area and as much as I'd like to run the mower over the lot of 'em, the risk to my dangly bits from a very irate wife, outweighs the need I have to wait until next year

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As surprised as I was to be mowing the lawn on 23.12.
I was even more surprised to be at the tip disposing of the cuttings on 24.12.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and as usual:-

When I lead others follow 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here