Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gap Year

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I'd go do some traveling. If you get yourself out to Australia, spend a few months fruit picking and you can earn some money to then travel around with. Also if you're traveling on your own you'll meet people to travel around with while your fruit picking.
All in all going traveling on your own is an amazing experience, you learn a lot about yourself, and it's amazing having the freedom to go where you want and do what you want whenever you want. If you have any problems you have to fix them yourself, so you learn some common sense pretty quickly and that will always stand you in good stead for whatever you do next.

Thankyou. This is the kind of advice I was hoping for :)

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I'm on a gap year too (sort of). Not because I wanted to. But because I'm an idiot. So I'm studying and retaking A-levels on my own. I'm probably going to take a few weekends away doing something abroad. I guess you could do something like that?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would suggest some charity/aid work in Africa. If you fancy teaching some young kiddies in Kenya then I can sort that for you. Are you any good at football? Fancy doing some coaching in the slums?

BTW, when should gaps years stop? I turn 40 next year and I have saved a WEDGE in the bank and considering a year off to travel around south/central America (unless we get to the Prem league in which case I am going to attempt the FULL season of every game home and away)

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I'm on a gap year too (sort of). Not because I wanted to. But because I'm an idiot. So I'm studying and retaking A-levels on my own. I'm probably going to take a few weekends away doing something abroad. I guess you could do something like that?

Yeh I thought of that, but I have no need to be in England alot (other than for Brighton) unlike you, so I would more like a more long term opportunity.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I would suggest some charity/aid work in Africa. If you fancy teaching some young kiddies in Kenya then I can sort that for you. Are you any good at football? Fancy doing some coaching in the slums?

BTW, when should gaps years stop? I turn 40 next year and I have saved a WEDGE in the bank and considering a year off to travel around south/central America (unless we get to the Prem league in which case I am going to attempt the FULL season of every game home and away)

This hasn't crossed my mind as an option before but it sounds very interesting. Do you mind if I pm you later, after work, for more information?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There is still the possibility I could go. I was advised I would be and then due to a lot of returning workers from last year (who get the job without question) I was put on a reserve list which has no guarantee of working out. I would still love to go, just not sure how likely it is.

Ok, always worth trying independent restaurants and bars etc, plenty of English run places if your foreign languages aren't up to scratch. Reserve list is usually a pretty good bet for getting out, usually just after Christmas when the first load of injured folk start heading home. Have you got a particular country or resort in mind?

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Ok, always worth trying independent restaurants and bars etc, plenty of English run places if your foreign languages aren't up to scratch. Reserve list is usually a pretty good bet for getting out, usually just after Christmas when the first load of injured folk start heading home. Have you got a particular country or resort in mind?

Well I'm on the standby list for Alpe d'Huez, Serre Chevalie and Les Menuires and I know people out there now so ideally one of them but I'd be happy to go anywhere. Thankyou for the advice as well, I'll look into that.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well I'm on the standby list for Alpe d'Huez, Serre Chevalie and Les Menuires and I know people out there now so ideally one of them but I'd be happy to go anywhere. Thankyou for the advice as well, I'll look into that.

What company are you on the list for, Ski Bound?

For Alpe d'Huez Smithy's is a good place to work, Serre Che is a bit more traditional as is Les Menuires.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Would it be worth me having a word with my sister who is out in les deux alpes

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'd do a bit of travelling if i were you. you'll never get to do it cheaper than at your age. You are happy to rough it and see a bit of the world. I would highly recommend South America.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm on my gap year at the moment but have no real clue of what to do. I'm looking for something to do over the summer months (don't want to miss the end of the season) but need more ideas.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Go travelling because everyone back home will admire your sense of adventure and free-spirit whilst in reality you're hanging around exclusively with fellow gap yearers whilst necking cheap local lager for 5 cents and shagging white Western European girls back at the hostel you all found in the Lonely Planet.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
BACK. PACK.

This is the perfect time of year. Just bugger off to Thailand, meet tons of people then decide what to do from there. Get your jabs and some decent travel insurance first.

I sat on my arse for my gap year. Worked 15 hours a week in a clothes shop and regretted it ever since. Wish I'd have gone travelling whilst I had the chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Go travelling because everyone back home will admire your sense of adventure and free-spirit whilst in reality you're hanging around exclusively with fellow gap yearers whilst necking cheap local lager for 5 cents and shagging white Western European girls back at the hostel you all found in the Lonely Planet.

Indeed. Explore the exotic splendours of Bali, Indonesia, and get up close and personal with half the population of pissed-up student-age Australia.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick

I'm sure I can take a few months out to do that :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here