Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon says NO

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was thinking more the way he has shit on our most recent managers. Taylor told him the squad wasnt good enough and he offered nothing so he left. Coppell ran out at the first opportunity after being denied the money for £10k purchase who is now valued at £5m. He listened, so he said to fans and sacked McGhee who is now managing in the SPL. Sacked Wilkins to bring back a favourite and then allowed him to be shafted by that 'mob' the Blooms. Who does he expect to be fooled by his sweet talking, as I said managers talk to each other.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Taylor told him the squad wasnt good enough and he offered nothing so he left. Coppell ran out at the first opportunity after being denied the money for £10k purchase who is now valued at £5m.

Both of these incidents obviously passed me by!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Taylor said that the squad would struggle in the Championship as it wasnt good enough and because no money was available for replacements so he left, that was common knowledge at the time and has been mentioned before.

Coppel wanted to buy Steve Hunt from Brentford and we offered £10k But they wanted the price set by a tribunal and DK was not prepared to take the chance so as soon as Reading made waves Coppel was off.

Obviously you missed those incidents.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Taylor said that the squad would struggle in the Championship as it wasnt good enough and because no money was available for replacements so he left, that was common knowledge at the time and has been mentioned before.

Coppel wanted to buy Steve Hunt from Brentford and we offered £10k But they wanted the price set by a tribunal and DK was not prepared to take the chance so as soon as Reading made waves Coppel was off.

Obviously you missed those incidents.

My understanding was that Taylor always fancied the jobs that were available at a higher level, and therefore refused to discuss a longer contract from day one.

And Coppell was offered the chance to take over a side with a genuine short-term goal of the premiership and a fantastic stadium and finances, and so weighed this up over us.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I will not argue it is all down to individual interpretations of circumstances from the information available either official or otherwise.

Fair enough, obviously I am unworthy of such unofficial info.

But I think we're kidding ourselves to think that Taylor (left to go to Palace, ended up getting Hull), or Coppell (going to Reading) were more down to investment issues and club management here, as opposed to the fact that they had good reputations and went on to much better things when the opportunities arose.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I believe Taylor made it very clear that he left because the amount of funds put at his disposal were not nearly enough ( In his opinion) to sustain championship football.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Has anyone actually read any quotes from Gannon about him turning us down? I find it quite odd that the only comments on this have come from DK. There is nothing on the Stockport website or the local press from Gannon himself.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Has anyone actually read any quotes from Gannon about him turning us down? I find it quite odd that the only comments on this have come from DK. There is nothing on the Stockport website or the local press from Gannon himself.

Interesting point

Just looked at the Argus website when DK said Gannon wasn't coming, and said the club would issue a statement later That was about 8-9 hours ago.

Has the club issued a statement since then, and I,ve missed it.......?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Interesting point

Just looked at the Argus website when DK said Gannon wasn't coming, and said the club would issue a statement later That was about 8-9 hours ago.

Has the club issued a statement since then, and I,ve missed it.......?

Don't think there has been a statement from Gannon or Stockport - just DK's from earlier today

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Stockport's website has a very basic "Jim's staying" but with no quotes from him.

Stockport Express (local paper) website has a quote from his assistant only. It does say that he wasn't available for media interviews today, not sure if anything can be read into that or not. http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/sport/football/stockport_county/s/1099183_gannon_turns_down_brighton

Does seem strange to me that it was from our end that it broke that he turned us down.

Is it just wishful thinking, or might this not be the end of matters?

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Stockport County | News | Latest News | Latest News | JIMS STAYING

Gannon staying with County - Stockport County - Football - Sport - Manchester Evening News

Gannon staying with County

February 26, 2009

JIM Gannon is staying on as Stockport County boss after turning down Brighton's offer to take over the Seagulls.

Gannon was Brighton chairman Dick Knight's number one choice for the vacant managerial job at the Withdean Stadium.

But after having talks with Brighton on Wednesday he decided not to move south.

Assistant boss Peter Ward believes Gannon's decision will make for a great atmosphere when County take on Huddersfield Town at Edgeley Park.

"It would have been a big wrench for Jim after getting settled here in Stockport, buying a new house with a young family and then moving," said Ward.

"There's also the fact that he was here ten years as a player and three as a manager.

"It's going to have to be a really great offer to make him want to uproot.

"I think it's great news for the fans.

"Judging by the reception he got on Tuesday from the brave few that had travelled to Colchester and all the emails and phone calls we've had, this news will be a huge boost for them."

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Stockport County | News | Latest News | Latest News | JIMS STAYING

Gannon staying with County - Stockport County - Football - Sport - Manchester Evening News

Gannon staying with County

February 26, 2009

JIM Gannon is staying on as Stockport County boss after turning down Brighton's offer to take over the Seagulls.

Gannon was Brighton chairman Dick Knight's number one choice for the vacant managerial job at the Withdean Stadium.

But after having talks with Brighton on Wednesday he decided not to move south.

Assistant boss Peter Ward believes Gannon's decision will make for a great atmosphere when County take on Huddersfield Town at Edgeley Park.

"It would have been a big wrench for Jim after getting settled here in Stockport, buying a new house with a young family and then moving," said Ward.

"There's also the fact that he was here ten years as a player and three as a manager.

"It's going to have to be a really great offer to make him want to uproot.

"I think it's great news for the fans.

"Judging by the reception he got on Tuesday from the brave few that had travelled to Colchester and all the emails and phone calls we've had, this news will be a huge boost for them."

I saw this one too but still think it is odd that there is nothing from Gannon himself and/or Stockport. As Backson just said, I think it is wishful thinking but I have got a feeling that this may not be the end of it.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I saw this one too but still think it is odd that there is nothing from Gannon himself and/or Stockport. As Backson just said, I think it is wishful thinking but I have got a feeling that this may not be the end of it.

You know, it may be a long shot but Knight has a habit of getting his man. After McNulty turned us down and then signed on deadline day.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
From what I was reading on this forum, especially from the Stockport fan, in a couple of months there will no longer be a team to manage at Stockport due to their fanancial situation.
Either this has changed over the last couple of days, or Knight has decided to continue with the Booker/White combination until such an event happens and he gets his man.
Let's hope that we can get above the relegation zone long enough for this to happen, if this is the case.
Lets face it how many of you were expecting 1 point let alone 4 from the last 2 games, certainly not me.
Gannon, with an eye to the future, was possibly looking at securing an income
after the potential Stockport collapse.
Just a thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here