Game on for Monday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
We know it's game on for Monday, we're not stupid enough to think otherwise. (Most of us).

How do you assess the other night, emotions aside? Have to say I'm thrilled with the result as you'd expect but also felt that we'd need some sort of buffer anyway to take to the AMEX. I know the whole injury situation was a bit of a farce, what is it looking like for Monday?

Why did the majority of Wednesday fans boo, and a few throw things, at Goldson as he was hobbling off the pitch. In fact there seemed to be a habit of booing our injured players. Classy.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Two centre halves(Goldson and Hunemeier) out, two central midfielders missing(Stephens and Sidwell), two wingers injured(Knockeart, March) and two strikers(Hemed and Zamora) unavailable.

Goldson has probably been our best performing central defender, Stephens is half of the best midfield partnership in the division(and our second top scorer), Hemed and Zamora are our top and joint second goalscorers and Knockaert is our biggest creative and attacking threat. March is an England U-21. So it's a lot of quality players we're missing.

It's a huge task to win by enough but I'm confident that the team we put out will give it a hell of a go and will do themselves and the club proud. Whether that will be enough to make Wembley, we'll have to wait and see.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
'I think we are done guys. I just don't see us winning this'

Posted by prawnstar a while ago :ohmy:

Has he had to go shopping with his mummy :spam:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
You will go through simply because we have loss to many key players. We have the better team and manager. as proved by the final table. Enjoy the final because i don't think you will progress further.

To be honest, I think Hull would put either us or Wednesday through the mangle, seeing the way they dealt with Rotherham who, let's remember, have been playing a lot better under Neil Warnock. Derby were being bigged up on here as the side to fear had we failed at Middlesbrough. I felt, going back to the station after that game, that I didn't much fancy facing Hull either, even though we did well against them during the season.

Regarding this game, until we fell behind and the injuries kicked in, I thought we had a fair chance against Wednesday's defence, even though Wednesday had wave after wave of attacks before the injuries. Now, with the injured players representing our main threat, plus one of the pivots of our midfield banned, Wednesday have to be the very firm favourites, unless we get an early goal. What I think this game has shown us, though, is that had we got automatic promotion, next season would have been a massive struggle, with a Norwich rather than a Bournemouth or Watford scenario being likely. Take only a few first choice players out of our side and we struggle hugely.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
Why did the majority of Wednesday fans boo, and a few throw things, at Goldson as he was hobbling off the pitch. In fact there seemed to be a habit of booing our injured players. Classy.

Make the ground intimidating at all costs. In a league game we probably wouldn't have been bothered but with so much at stake I guess there's no time for feeling sorry for anyone unless of course the injuries were really severe. That's just the truth of the matter in the heat of the game.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We know it's game on for Monday, we're not stupid enough to think otherwise. (Most of us).

How do you assess the other night, emotions aside? Have to say I'm thrilled with the result as you'd expect but also felt that we'd need some sort of buffer anyway to take to the AMEX. I know the whole injury situation was a bit of a farce, what is it looking like for Monday?

'The other night' It was yesterday for fark's ache. :moo:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Make the ground intimidating at all costs. In a league game we probably wouldn't have been bothered but with so much at stake I guess there's no time for feeling sorry for anyone unless of course the injuries were really severe. That's just the truth of the matter in the heat of the game.

They were severe enough. One was stretchered off and none will play on Monday. That is severe enough for me.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Make the ground intimidating at all costs.

Well you didn't do that though did you, you could have made the game far more intimidating than it was at all costs. Instead you chose the classless act of throwing things at injured players after they are off the pitch.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well you didn't do that though did you, you could have made the game far more intimidating than it was at all costs. Instead you chose the classless act of throwing things at injured players after they are off the pitch.

Didn't they? That sounds like a pretty good definition of intimidation at all costs.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

So throwing stuff at players (I sincerely hope it wasn't fruit thrown at Connor) and officials is OK as it's a big play off game, hmm, is it 1988.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Didn't they? That sounds like a pretty good definition of intimidation at all costs.

They were loud and at times arguably intimidating, but they weren't 'intimidating at all costs', that's the point I'm making. For instance they only threw stiff at the injured players hobbling off the pitch, not those playing on the pitch which they would have done if they had been intimidating at all costs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I guess the homophobia towards our fans afterwards was required too. That is one ****ing backward place your team play in.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

Exactly and what amazed me was that Forrestieri was halfway home and their crowd didn't think he was offside.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
They were loud and at times arguably intimidating, but they weren't 'intimidating at all costs', that's the point I'm making. For instance they only threw stiff at the injured players hobbling off the pitch, not those playing on the pitch which they would have done if they had been intimidating at all costs.

There was a well aimed something hurled onto the pitch when Wednesday were disallowed the goal and their manager almost exploded with anger. Unsure if it was aimed at one of the officials or one of our uninjured players.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I guess the homophobia towards our fans afterwards was required too. That is one ****ing backward place your team play in.

Maybe we could make a few neanderthal comments but Carlos the Owl seems an ok sort.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe we could make a few neanderthal comments but Carlos the Owl seems an ok sort.
Yeah there's always a minority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports