Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Fury vs Whyte

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To be fair Munkfish didn’t get back from Wembley till late but just watched it again, it wasn’t a shit fight, it was the best Heavyweight boxer this country has ever produced at his peak against one of his perceived nearest challengers.

With his reach advantage and his boxing ability Whyte couldn’t get near him, and by the KO he was gassed.

IMHO Usyk will be the only current fighter who will technically have the skills to make a contest of it, AJ (and Hearn) know enough to have avoided Fury for all this time, he won’t beat Usyk anyway but if he did, a Fury/AJ fight will almost be a carbon copy of last night.

Spot on I think Lenny. When I said mis-match it's because no one can currently compete with Fury, certainly not Dillian "Masterchef" Whyte. Usyk could box Fury but I think will be too small to beat him. We'll see if Tyson is really retiring if Joshua and his belts somehow become available for a fight, but I can't see AJ beating Usyk, let alone Fury and I write that as an AJ fan.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I was surprised how superior fury was.
It really was never in doubt.
Whyte was nowhere near winning.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
To be fair Munkfish didn’t get back from Wembley till late but just watched it again, it wasn’t a shit fight, it was the best Heavyweight boxer this country has ever produced at his peak against one of his perceived nearest challengers.

With his reach advantage and his boxing ability Whyte couldn’t get near him, and by the KO he was gassed.

IMHO Usyk will be the only current fighter who will technically have the skills to make a contest of it, AJ (and Hearn) know enough to have avoided Fury for all this time, he won’t beat Usyk anyway but if he did, a Fury/AJ fight will almost be a carbon copy of last night.

Perfectly summed up

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

I think a Fury v Usyk fight would be horrible to watch. Usyk would try and dance in and out and Fury would probably go chasing him but find him hard to hit. Hard to think Fury wouldn't eventually prevail by virtue of being the most aggressive.

Think AJ Fury would actually be a decent watch as at least AJ has the physical attributes to get stuck in far more that Whyte did and youd like to think he'd give it a go. Still a big Fury win though.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
To be fair Munkfish didn’t get back from Wembley till late but just watched it again, it wasn’t a #### fight, it was the best Heavyweight boxer this country has ever produced at his peak against one of his perceived nearest challengers.

It's not his fault but I don't think Tyson will ever be able to make the argument that he surpasses Lennox Lewis in the British Heavyweight all time list, purely because of the standard of opposition he fought. Lewis fought and beat Razor Ruddock, Andrew Golota, Evander Holyfield, David Tua, Mike Tyson, Vitali Klitschko etc.

Apart from Klitschko, who lets face it was 40 and coming to the end of his career, Furys most notable wins are against Dillian Whyte (a former kick boxer) and Deontay Wilder who has a monster right hand but only took the sport up when he was 20 and as a result has limited boxing skills. He's the best of his era, and you can only beat whats in front of you, but Lewis dominated during a time when the overall standard of Heavyweight boxing was much higher.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It's not his fault but I don't think Tyson will ever be able to make the argument that he surpasses Lennox Lewis in the British Heavyweight all time list, purely because of the standard of opposition he fought. Lewis fought and beat Razor Ruddock, Andrew Golota, Evander Holyfield, David Tua, Mike Tyson, Vitali Klitschko etc.

Apart from Klitschko, who lets face it was 40 and coming to the end of his career, Furys most notable wins are against Dillian Whyte (a former kick boxer) and Deontay Wilder who has a monster right hand but only took the sport up when he was 20 and as a result has limited boxing skills. He's the best of his era, and you can only beat whats in front of you, but Lewis dominated during a time when the overall standard of Heavyweight boxing was much higher.

Would Fury have beaten McCall and Hasim Rahman?

https://youtu.be/9iv9eOiVB9s

I wonder what was going through Whyte’s mind when he saw Fury running towards the ring?

swd40

Mar 22, 2006

Lennox Lewis is top of that tree.

Might of honed his craft abroad, but still physically produced over here.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Whilst I don't disagree with the gist of your post I think this is an unfair stick with which to beat AJ. I'm not sure what he could have done to fight Fury? The only opportunity was when Fury had been out of boxing for three(two?) years and had ballooned in weight and had mental health problems.

If Joshua had fought him then he would have been pilloried for taking on a fighter (apparently) nowhere near his peak just to get his name on his record. The exact same reason that Wilder accepted the Fury fight and the exact same thing Fury accused Wilder of in the build up.

We then saw one of the greatest comebacks in sporting history with Fury a) boxing the behind off Wilder and b) showing frankly insane levels of recovery after being knocked down twice. The rematch was inevitable.

After Fury took Wilder to pre-school, school, college and university in the second fight, Joshua and Fury were set to fight. Until Wilder insisted on a third fight and receiving a post grad education from Fury.

Then Joshua got taken to school etc by Usyk and the opportunity has gone.

What an occasion Fury v AJ would have been. One of the greatest sporting occasions the U.K would ever have seen.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Whilst I don't disagree with the gist of your post I think this is an unfair stick with which to beat AJ. I'm not sure what he could have done to fight Fury? The only opportunity was when Fury had been out of boxing for three(two?) years and had ballooned in weight and had mental health problems.

If Joshua had fought him then he would have been pilloried for taking on a fighter (apparently) nowhere near his peak just to get his name on his record. The exact same reason that Wilder accepted the Fury fight and the exact same thing Fury accused Wilder of in the build up.

We then saw one of the greatest comebacks in sporting history with Fury a) boxing the behind off Wilder and b) showing frankly insane levels of recovery after being knocked down twice. The rematch was inevitable.

After Fury took Wilder to pre-school, school, college and university in the second fight, Joshua and Fury were set to fight. Until Wilder insisted on a third fight and receiving a post grad education from Fury.

Then Joshua got taken to school etc by Usyk and the opportunity has gone.

What an occasion Fury v AJ would have been. One of the greatest sporting occasions the U.K would ever have seen.

I've got a feeling listening to the wireless this morning we might both get our wish later this year, even if AJ doesn't fight Usyk.

But I would still pick Fury to stop AJ, 7, 8 or 9.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've got a feeling listening to the wireless this morning we might both get our wish later this year, even if AJ doesn't fight Usyk.

But I would still pick Fury to stop AJ, 7, 8 or 9.

I'm with you on both AJ predictions. I don't think he'll beat Usyk or Fury.

My regret is that even if the fight does take place it'll be a shadow of what it could have been. It could have been a huge, genuine sporting event. Instead it'll be two fighters taking the money with everyone knowing that Fury wins. Unless it goes to 12 rounds and there's some classic boxing 'judging'.

I say this as an AJ fan.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Would Fury have beaten McCall and Hasim Rahman?

I wonder what was going through Whyte’s mind when he saw Fury running towards the ring?

Lennox beat both McCall and Hasim Rahman.....

I tend to judge fighters on their best performances, not their worst performances.

Fury has had some shocking performances over the years against fighters that were far worse than those two and also, at one point in his career, felt he had to resort to steroid use.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here