Funny Amazon Reviews

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Something I've spent far too long over the past few days perusing. Anyone have anhy good recommendations for amusing Amazon review pages? I'll give a few to start the ball rolling!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/009950944X/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar
Reviews of Richard Littlejohn's "Littlejohn's Britain", including:

'Littlejohn's Britain' is the third instalment of the eclectic 'Littlejohn Mysteries', and arguably the best yet. As the novel commences we are reintroduced to maverick sleuth Richard Littlejohn; a straight-talking, no-nonsense freelance detective who stops at nothing to get answers. But Littlejohn has changed: no longer the bright-eyed optimist he once was, the events of the previous book, Murder at Mbongo Hall, have left him embittered and disillusioned with the job he once loved. However, it's not long before an anonymous tip-off from a civil servant draws Littlejohn deep into the heart of a political conspiracy which goes all the way to Downing Street.

Tightly written and highly exhilarating, 'Littlejohn's Britain' rockets along at the pace of a runaway train and never lets up. From the initial discovery of the dead prostitute ("She had it coming," a gruff Littlejohn observes with peerless humour) through to the unspeakable evil of the government's nefarious 'recycling' scheme, every turn of the page brings a shocking new twist which will never fails to excite. In particular, the climatic showdown atop the London Eye is worthy of literature's finest.

'Littlejohn's Britain' is rife with the trademark humour which has already made the series a modern classic ("bloody speed cameras!" should be the nation's new catchphrase), but it also explores a darker and more sinister side of Littlejohn's past. Tales of drinking, debauching and even a fleeting homosexual encounter are all gradually peeled away as the story progresses to reveal a complex and ultimately tragic character. With the addition of some truly horrific villains -- the scheming 'Two Jags' Prescott, PC-gone-mad Trevor Phillips, and psychotic gay Johann Hari -- the recipe is complete, and the result is some of the greatest work ever committed to print. 'Littlejohn's Britain' is simply a masterpiece; essential reading for anyone who can handle the action.

And, my favourite:

http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-3172-Security-Check-Point/dp/B0002CYTL2

Including:
I was a little disappointed when I first bought this item, because the functionality is limited. My 5 year old son pointed out that the passenger's shoes cannot be removed. Then, we placed a deadly fingernail file underneath the passenger's scarf, and neither the detector doorway nor the security wand picked it up. My son said "that's the worst security ever!". But it turned out to be okay, because when the passenger got on the Playmobil B757 and tried to hijack it, she was mobbed by a couple of other heroic passengers, who only sustained minor injuries in the scuffle, which were treated at the Playmobil Hospital.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
An old favourite ...

Amazon.com: The Story About Ping (9780140502411): Marjorie Flack, Kurt Wiese (Illustrator): Books

PING! The magic duck!
Using deft allegory, the authors have provided an insightful and intuitive explanation of one of Unix's most venerable networking utilities. Even more stunning is that they were clearly working with a very early beta of the program, as their book first appeared in 1933, years (decades!) before the operating system and network infrastructure were finalized.

The book describes networking in terms even a child could understand, choosing to anthropomorphize the underlying packet structure. The ping packet is described as a duck, who, with other packets (more ducks), spends a certain period of time on the host machine (the wise-eyed boat). At the same time each day (I suspect this is scheduled under cron), the little packets (ducks) exit the host (boat) by way of a bridge (a bridge). From the bridge, the packets travel onto the internet (here embodied by the Yangtze River).

The title character -- er, packet, is called Ping. Ping meanders around the river before being received by another host (another boat). He spends a brief time on the other boat, but eventually returns to his original host machine (the wise-eyed boat) somewhat the worse for wear.

If you need a good, high-level overview of the ping utility, this is the book. I can't recommend it for most managers, as the technical aspects may be too overwhelming and the basic concepts too daunting.

Problems With This Book

As good as it is, The Story About Ping is not without its faults. There is no index, and though the ping(8) man pages cover the command line options well enough, some review of them seems to be in order. Likewise, in a book solely about Ping, I would have expected a more detailed overview of the ICMP packet structure.

But even with these problems, The Story About Ping has earned a place on my bookshelf, right between Stevens' Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment, and my dog-eared copy of Dante's seminal work on MS Windows, Inferno. Who can read that passage on the Windows API ("Obscure, profound it was, and nebulous, So that by fixing on its depths my sight -- Nothing whatever I discerned therein."), without shaking their head with deep understanding. But I digress.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can anything however top the review of Katie and Peter's debut CD 'A Brave New World'

Snippets include

If you can imagine a soothing blend of jojoba oils, vanilla, and WD40 being poured into both ear holes simultaneously, then you will have only been able to scratch the surface of the feast of pleasure that is Katie And Pete's "A Whole New World" Album. Similar in it's ambition to Wagner's "ring cycle" but less German, "A Whole New World" is one of the best sound combinations that has ever been recorded. I also found the case very useful for replacing a tile that had been missing in my bathroom for the past two and a half years. A TRIUMPH!
*ESPECIALLY SUITABLE FOR THOSE WITH TILED BATHROOMS*

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whole-World...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278141782&sr=1-1

Stumpy Tim

Can anything however top the review of Katie and Peter's debut CD 'A Brave New World'

With hindsight it is plain to see that the effort expended in creating this wonderful record exhausted the reservoirs of love within these twinned laureates.

Now the world enters into a period of mourning, a time of grief, an evaluation of loss. We as mortal humans know that everything must come to an end, but when something as beautiful as the love that these two shared so publicly is lost, it can be easy to turn inwards, to forget that as Wendy Craig so memorably crooned, 'Love is like a Butterfly'. Not all things can last forever -- some things are just too beautiful, too delicate to survive for long

And in the bleak times that surely follow, we can no longer rely on these star-crossed lovers to brighten our ordinary non-celebrity lives - but we still have the things that they left behind.

This record stands for something beyond music - it is a totem of innocent love before it was broken. It is a reminder of how we all felt when we first fell in love.

We still use it in the Accident and Emergency ward at work as an alternative anaesthetic; it's cheap, and it renders the unsuspecting patient motionless and numbed. Thankyou Peter and Katie. For everything.
:lol::lol::lol:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I'd also like to throw a guy called Dr. M von Wogelhausen into the ring - his reviews are uniformly amazing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3B2IL2CP9GW2C/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

My favourites include this one for Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's 'River Cottage Every Day":
This is a fascinating and hard hitting account of Hugh F-W's plight. Trapped in a kind of gastro-groundhog day, he has for several decades been trying to escape from River Cottage. True, it made him famous, and when he moved there first I am sure he was happy. However, he discovered that no matter how he tried to leave - on foot, by land rover, or in his ottercar - he found himself drawn inexorably back to the cottage, which functioned like some culinary planet to Hugh's moon.

"River Cottage Everyday" is both the title of the book and an existential cry of despair. The building's dark power has him in its thrall, and he fights on resolutely, in the only way he can: by cooking. Every recipe is a blow struck in a brutal war between him and the cottage; every ingredient is a weapon. I was moved to song by this book - highly recommended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports