Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Froch vs Groves Sky 'Gloves are off' special this Sat

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Im interested why anyone would think that a man, who has already given his best and thrown all he has got.Yet still didn't win, can convince people that next time will be different...Froch wasn't even at the races 1st 5/6 rounds yet Groves still couldnt put his man away.Like I say Froch starts switched on and it's all over for Groves before half way.

Because he was cheated and if it hadnt been incorrectly stopped Groves was 9 mins away from a comfortable win on points. You do realise you can win boxing on points? Froch has lost twice that way? Groves actually has a poor record of stopping people in the first 6 rounds.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Im interested why anyone would think that a man, who has already given his best and thrown all he has got.Yet still didn't win, can convince people that next time will be different...Froch wasn't even at the races 1st 5/6 rounds yet Groves still couldnt put his man away.Like I say Froch starts switched on and it's all over for Groves before half way.

Or why anyone would think that a man knocked about the ring for 8 rounds before finally landing a shot worthy of the name and benefitting from a very generous stoppage (Froch's words) could reverse the form a few months later....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Because he was cheated and if it hadnt been incorrectly stopped Groves was 9 mins away from a comfortable win on points. You do realise you can win boxing on points? Froch has lost twice that way? Groves actually has a poor record of stopping people in the first 6 rounds.

How can you be 9mins away from winning on points, if your 30seconds away from being knocked out.Froch was getting stronger and Groves was emptying fast..The ref saved him from getting knocked out.Ask Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank if they think the ref stopped it to soon???..Jesus roll on next Saturday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How can you be 9mins away from winning on points, if your 30seconds away from being knocked out.Froch was getting stronger and Groves was emptying fast..The ref saved him from getting knocked out.Ask Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank if they think the ref stopped it to soon???..Jesus roll on next Saturday.

Agree with you totally. Groves, unexpectedly was far superior on the night, UNTIL Froch got to him. The ref may have stopped it a little prematurely, but that is highly debatable. There was no suspicion of "cheated", corruption, blah blah .... just a modern ref putting a fighter's (Groves) longterm wellbeing first, as he was taking a lot of half-defended punishment. In anything, the stoppage benefitted Groves and his followers who were able to claim an injustice - conveniently ignoring the battering his head was taking.

There is also an element here of good old British wishing ill of the successful or reigning champion. Froch has been a great British boxer with world class performances against Bute, Kessler, et seq .... but many mouthy anti- types were and are desperate for him to be beaten. I've seen this many times before, having watched Lennox, Hamed, Khan fights on TV in Brighton pubs, where a few noisy punters were extremely keen for their overseas opponents to win. Only in Britain.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Boxer A "I'm gonna knock 'im aaaaat"
Boxer B "I'm gonna knock him out"
Boxer A "No mate. Im gonna knock you out. I hate you"
Boxer B "No way. I'm gonna knock you out. I also hate you"

*SKY PRESENTS - THE BUILD UP TO TWO PEOPLE SAYING THEY WILL KNOCK EACH OTHER OUT AND HATE EACH OTHER"

Boxer A: I hate this bloke. I'm gonna knock him out.
Boxer B Read the above

The fight eventually happens. No one is knocked out

Boxer A: "well boxer B is a great fighter and we had a good battle"
Boxer B " He's a great professional and it was an honour to fight him".

Move on to the next "big fight".

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
There is also an element here of good old British wishing ill of the successful or reigning champion. Froch has been a great British boxer with world class performances against Bute, Kessler, et seq .... but many mouthy anti- types were and are desperate for him to be beaten. I've seen this many times before, having watched Lennox, Hamed, Khan fights on TV in Brighton pubs, where a few noisy punters were extremely keen for their overseas opponents to win. Only in Britain.

With respect, that is utter tripe! Froch had the vast majority of the support going in to the first fight both at the venue and amongst boxing fans in general.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Froch had taken a beating from Groves, arguably took his best shot and got up from it and was getting on top when the fight was stopped. Not a chance in hell if Foster hadn't stopped it of it lasting much longer anyway.

Froch now knows he can take Groves best shot and knows that he has the better stamina and can take out Groves later on.

I want Groves to win but think that Froch will win again but I can't wait till the 31st to find out, should be an epic night

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

He wouldn't have won on points though, Froch was only a point behind according to two scorecards and seemed to be finishing the stronger. Arguably if it had gone 12 Froch would have won a split decision.

I think the judges were generous to Froch as I could only make a case for 3 rounds going his way.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
big nuts makes a very valid point, remember the first was a 10-8 round! Christ knows what the judges were watching but let's face it they can make up their own results. Haven't been able to resist a bit on GG on points though simply as I see that as the most likely outcome. All about opinions.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
big nuts makes a very valid point, remember the first was a 10-8 round! Christ knows what the judges were watching but let's face it they can make up their own results. Haven't been able to resist a bit on GG on points though simply as I see that as the most likely outcome. All about opinions.

The 3rd judge had it 78-73 Groves which was probably more in keeping with most peoples views.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm going with Froch he has more ways of beating Groves then the other way round.

Froch can come out more aggressive a' la Bute and try to walk through Groves - this would be a dangerous tactic in my view.

He can take Groves into the later rounds like the first fight and gradually draw him into a scrap which is where Froch holds the advantages.

Groves best bet is to outbox the champion on points and I'm not convinced he has the stamina to do this.

Froch will be more mentally up for this one and I can see him stopping Groves around the 9th again.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sitting next to Eddie ? Just hope we get an evening worthy of the hype

Sadly not! But Scott Cardle's Dad Joe came up trumps with some £100 raised seats, we are in the middle of the stand dead opposite the tunnel.

Looking forward to you venturing over to Worthing for our full English after St George bangs The Sheriff of Nottingham out.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Eddie hearn's dodgy promotions!!!! ^^^

Here's the ringside special from a couple of weeks ago, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

[yt]YkBPOJilpWU[/yt]

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We will see. I'd be amazed.

Only what I was told by someone who works for Sky at a do on Monday.

Interestingly enough they were also speculating about the possibilities after the fight, if as some think (and some dont) Groves wins the person I was with said he hoped Froch would take defeat well and hold his hands up and pay credit to the better man on the night, but if he didnt that would seriously damage his boxing legacy given the magnitude of the event.

One things for certain, this is not hype these two really dislike each other, far more than Eubank and Benn ever did.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Indeed Billy, Froch being Eddie's boy was not going to hinder his chances in the event of it going the distance. I'd be surprised if we got an iffy call this time round but stranger things have happened. I saw the ringside special as above, it includes Froch disagreeing with his supporters herein and saying that it was, with the benefit of hindsight, a premature stoppage. fwiw, I can see both sides of the argument, but I am 100% certain that had Groves caught Froch like that and he wobbled, there is NO chance that the ref would have stepped in. None whatsoever.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Eddie hearn's dodgy promotions!!!! ^^^

Here's the ringside special from a couple of weeks ago, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

[yt]YkBPOJilpWU[/yt]

38 mins.44 seconds.

Very concerning.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He wouldn't have won on points though, Froch was only a point behind according to two scorecards and seemed to be finishing the stronger. Arguably if it had gone 12 Froch would have won a split decision.

I think the judges were generous to Froch as I could only make a case for 3 rounds going his way.

By almost universal consensus that was an outrageous set of scorecards. Groves was easily up by 6 in reality. And for those saying Groves was close to going down that is nothing more than conjecture that can NEVER be proven one way or the other. Also defending Foster is completely unacceptable, at the very worst he should have given Groves a standing 8 count.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here