Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fridge/Freezer Help Needed

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Please help!

In trying to knock some ice out of the freezer I've managed to crack the inside and caused a gas leak. Didn't notice at first but then a couple of hours later the smell built up and closer inspection shows what I've done.

Been ringing around most of the day but can only get 'we'll send an engineer to see what the damage is' with a call out charge, which is fine but they can't tell me whether they can fix it or not.

What I want to know is:

1. can it be repaired or is it terminal;
2. is it dangerous or can it still be used until repaired/replaced. I've switched it off for now.

Any advice much appreciated.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Don't listen to Dan, and whatever you do don't invite him round if you have a Wife or Girlfriend on the premises.
If it catches fire your'l have to take the risk. :nono:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
your appliance will have a limited supply of 'gas' or as we call it in the trade refrigerant. once its all vented out of the appliance...its gone.
if the 'gas' in it is R134a, and i am doing a re-gas, it is collected into a vessel.
if the 'gas' is R600 it will still be collected, but a lot of fridge engineers will let this vent into the atmosphere.

running the appliance with no refrigerant in is totally harmless, but a total waste of time as all you are doing is getting the compressor to pump air round. in short..it will do nothing but make a tinny noise.
it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell over the phone if it is repairable, which is why the repair people you spoke to may have been a bit vague, but i suspect if it is, the price will be restrictive.
sounds like you need (at best) a new evaporater.
a lot depends on where you have punctured the pipework.
if you were chipping ice off, i suspect you have a conventional fridge freezer as opposed to a frost free one.
repairing this would be a waste of time IMO.

for future reference, dont chip....use a steam cleaner.
hope this helps

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do you have accidental damage on your home contents insurance ?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
your appliance will have a limited supply of 'gas' or as we call it in the trade refrigerant. once its all vented out of the appliance...its gone.
if the 'gas' in it is R134a, and i am doing a re-gas, it is collected into a vessel.
if the 'gas' is R600 it will still be collected, but a lot of fridge engineers will let this vent into the atmosphere.

running the appliance with no refrigerant in is totally harmless, but a total waste of time as all you are doing is getting the compressor to pump air round. in short..it will do nothing but make a tinny noise.
it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell over the phone if it is repairable, which is why the repair people you spoke to may have been a bit vague, but i suspect if it is, the price will be restrictive.
sounds like you need (at best) a new evaporater.
a lot depends on where you have punctured the pipework.
if you were chipping ice off, i suspect you have a conventional fridge freezer as opposed to a frost free one.
repairing this would be a waste of time IMO.

for future reference, dont chip....use a steam cleaner.
hope this helps

Many thanks for advice. The manual tells me its R600a and it is a conventional fridge/freezer. The area around the puncture has now turned a deep orange/brown colour - is that normal?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Many thanks for advice. The manual tells me its R600a and it is a conventional fridge/freezer. The area around the puncture has now turned a deep orange/brown colour - is that normal?
all the gas will be gone now.

its just a cupboard :smile:
it is perfectly harmless....and totally useless :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Buy a new one - potentially cheaper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here